Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - Chris McKenna

After reading the forum please could you send me the technical bulletin relating to turbo failures on the Ford Focus. This would be greatly appreciated.

My email address is mckennachris38@yahoo.com

Many thanks

Chris

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - ElCani

I just tried, but your email address doesn't appear to work.

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - towerhill

Hi,

I know this post is a little old, would you still be able to email the Ford turbo bulletin?

Regards

Neil

towerhill@msn.com

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - malcolm4664

As a newcomer to this page can anyone advise on availability of a FORD technical bulletin on the 1.6TDi engine that deals with the turbo problems they have had. A copy would be appreciated as the French FORD site seems to have removed all reference to this problem.

My 2009 Focus has done 75000 Kilometres and had 7 oil / filter changes. We always warm up before driving and let the engine tick over before switching off. No sign of any smoke at the moment but judging by the comments maybe it's time I had some extra work carried out at the next oil change due shortly.

malcolmwestlake@orange.fr

Edited by malcolm4664 on 25/11/2014 at 15:00

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - skidpan

We always warm up before driving and let the engine tick over before switching off.

Warming an engine before driving will do the engine far more harm than good. It is not necessary. Just drive sensibly and don't thrash it until its warm.

Idling before switching off is unnesessary unless you have been thrashing the nuts off it. Driving through town or on the motorway will not get the turbo hot enough to cause a problem, In truth the turbo will probably get hotter sat idling with very little air moving over it.

We had one of these supposedly troublesome 1.6 TDCi's for 5 years. Serviced every year using the correct spec oil etc and never had an issue. Spoke to the chap who bought it only last week, he is a mechanic who works at our Kia garage. The car is now 9 years old and still running perfectly.

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - malcolm4664

ELCani

Would appreciate a copy of the technical bulletin on 1.6 Turbo failure. For some reason it does not appear of the French Ford site.

Thanks in anticipation

malcolmwestlake@orange.fr

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - Gibbo_Wirral

I don't know if its the same information, but in the Pug community I've read something about replacing the turbo oil feed pipe if its clogged, and certainly taking out and cleaning the gauze filter in it.

My experience of these engines has been trouble-free too. Its anecdotal but the problems I've heard of are generally related to infrequent oil changes and the use of the wrong oil.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 26/11/2014 at 14:17

Ford Focus 1.6 - Technical Bulletin reference turbo failure - skidpan

Its vitally important to remember just how many of these engines have been fitted in various models form various manufacturers for the past 10 years or so. There must have been numerous millions. Because of that there are bound to be more than a few issues but that does not mean its a bad engine.

If someone had the failure rate as a percentage and the same info for a similar supposedly perfect engine from a lower volume manufacturer it would make interesting reading.