Hyundai Getz - What to buy - Mick Snutz

A relative has recently died and we may have the chance of purchasing her car from the estate. Its a 57 plate 2008 Hyundai getz CRDi GSi diesel with about 12k on the clock. Good condition, fully serviced etc.
Having researched used car prices for this model, I believe it's worth about £4,500.

However as we are considering getting a cheap, small hatchback as a second car, I'm also considering the Kia Picanto 1.1 or a Hyundai i10. Both are cheap to run, tax and appear economical and might be more fun to drive than a Getz diesel. Plus many of the Kia's have lower mileage and still have a balance of their 7 year warranty.

Another concern is that the Getz has been under used which is not good for a car.

Is the getz still worth considering?

Hyundai Getz - What to buy - Auristocrat

According to the CAP car valuation service provided to Which? members, a Getz CRD GSi at this year and mileage would be £3995-4400 (average dealer retail price), £3350-3625 (private sale price), and £2625-2800 (clean trade in price).

Think the price you need to be looking at is that of a private sale - £3350-3625.

At £4500 it is over-priced.

Hyundai Getz - What to buy - bathtub tom

Never, ever buy a car from a relative or a neighbour!

Get the message?

Hyundai Getz - What to buy - Happy Blue!

Why not? A neighbour no; but a deceased relative. Buy at the right price and drive away.

The Getz was a decent basic car, Spacious, comfortable (if you can adjust the steering wheel angle) and economical. Bit pointless buying a diesel for such low miles, but if driven with verve will be fine. Just don't overpay.

Hyundai Getz - What to buy - skidpan

We drove a Getz CRDi some years ago. Nice enough car but the 3 cylinder engine was without doubt the most unrefined and noisy unit I have ever driven.

Were reliable enough and had no DPF's or DMF's to worry about.

At the price being quoted walk away but at a much lower price you could get a decent car but make sure you could live with the racket..

Hyundai Getz - What to buy - skidpan

Going back to your original post don't forget that the 7 year warranty only apples to Kia Picanto's registered after 01 January 2010. Many owners have been caught out by this.

Hyundai Getz - What to buy - Mick Snutz

Good point Skidpan. Thanks for the advice.

Don't get Bathtubs advice about not buying from a relative. Surely its the car that's important, not whom you're buying from? Anyhow the relative is dead as per original post and if we buy the car and it goes wrong we're hardly going to hold the 'family' to ransome over it!

This Getz is the 4 cylinder diesel but that aside, fair comments about the dealer/private price. I'll bear it in mind.