Nissan Micra - Install Crankshaft Pulley - westburry

Hi

I be grateful of some advice.....

I am removing crankshaft pulley and will then be re-installing.

The way the manual explains it the pulley seems to just slide back on but from what I've read it is not always that simple.

Could I tap the pulley onto the crankshaft until the crankshaft bolt can screw on and then use an impact drive ( Electric - Using car battery ) to screw the bolt on which in effect will force the pulley onto the crankshaft or would that be too forceful an possiblet damage the screw threads ?

Grateful of any advice !!

Thanks

Patrick

Nissan Micra - Install Crankshaft Pulley - focussed

Make sure that the surface of the shaft and the bore of the pulley are clean and free of burrs-clean them up with fine wet and dry to get rid of any corrosion.

Lubricate the shaft with a little smear of copa-slip rubbed all over it.

Grease the land where the crank seal runs.

Warm the hub of the pulley up with a hot air gun so that when you spit on it it steams and sizzles a little.

Fit the pulley onto the shaft quickly and follow up with the crankshaft bolt and washer and torque up.

Nissan Micra - Install Crankshaft Pulley - bathtub tom

Lubricate the shaft with a little smear of copa-slip rubbed all over it.

Grease the land where the crank seal runs.

You're seriously suggesting the OP should apply a lubricant to a taper?

Tom -it doesn't sound like a taper if the OP is talking about using the crank pulley bolt to pull the pulley onto the shaft does it?

Nissan Micra - Install Crankshaft Pulley - bathtub tom

Tom -it doesn't sound like a taper if the OP is talking about using the crank pulley bolt to pull the pulley onto the shaft does it?

And the alternative?

Hi focussed

Thanks for your reply....

I'll try what you suggested, Im not too sure what the other person meant regarding smearing some copa-slip on the shaft. Is there any particular grease I should use round the crankshaft seal and regarding heating the crankshaft pulley should i be care of the temperature when heating it.

Also is it safe to use impact drive o the crankshaft bolt ?

Sorry for all the questions .

Patrick

I am assuming that the nose of the crankshaft is parallel, not tapered.

To be on the safe side for heating the pulley, heat it in a domestic oven set to 100 centigrade.

If there is a seal that runs on the surface of the pulley at the back, lubricate it sparingly with ordinary general purpose grease, so that the seal doesn't run dry when starting the engine.

Better to use an ordinary socket ratchet wrench to wind in the crankshaft bolt and then use a torque wrench set the the correct torque to final tighten it.

Bu then you are going to say that you can't lock the crankshaft when tightening the bolt.

You can try putting the car in a high gear and have someone press the brake pedal, or remove the starter motor and have someone else jam the flywheel ring gear against the casing with a big screwdriver.

Hi focussed

Thanks very much for your reply just a couple of things and I wont pester you anymore ( lol ).

In regard to the crankshaft being parallel if it is ( which I think it is ) is it still Ok to put some Copa-Slip on it as you mentioned before.

Does whether it being a parallel or tapered crankshaft have a say in the temperature you heat the pulley to.

Thanks

Patrick

Nissan Micra - Install Crankshaft Pulley - MrDanno

If the spigot on the crankshaft is tapered, You'll not need to do anything, The pulley will practically fall on and it will be crucial that you tighten the securing bolt to the correct torque.If it is a stretch type bolt, You'll need a new bolt too.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Thanks foe explaining Stretch Bolts and taped crank I wasnt aware of that

Patrik