Steering Pump Problem ? - Trebant
Hi All. I have purchased a '94 Toyota Carina 1.6 with 100K on the clock. It has been meticulously serviced and looked after.
When I viewed the car, I didn't notice a slight whine on acceleration or when the steering is in full lock. This has led me to believe the steering pump is dodgy as it doesn't sound like alternator trouble.
I would be grateful if anyone could tell if this is something I could ignore or if it may be something more serious ?!
If I have to replace it, what sort of cost am I looking at ?
Steering Pump Problem ? - mal
Don't claim to know that much about the mechanics of cars but don't all cars with power-steering make some sort of whine when stationary in full lock.
As for the whine during acceleration, a new Honda Civic of mine had to have the steering pump replaced 3 times for a similar fault which I found very annoying in an otherwise quiet car.
Mal.
Steering Pump Problem ? - Peter D
Most steering pumps are noisey at full lock. Some general noise can be attributed to the belt, rub some chalk or talk on the belt to see if it reduces. Whine is not normally attributed to the steering pump at lower revs as the pump speed is quite slow so it may be your alternator. Regards Peter
Steering Pump Problem ? - wemyss
In the handbook for my wife's car it warns that leaving the steering on full lock for more than a few seconds can cause damage to the pump.