private parking charge - bassduck

Hi, I got charged £70 for having parked too long in a private car park.

As I just moved here from Germany and am not aware of such methods, I didn't bother to read the signs, as they were no traffic signs obviously.

When I came back late to the car park, it was locked. I found a narrow way out over a footpath (couldn't keep it there over night). I didn't cause any damage of course.

I keep reading to ignore the letters, but here comes the catch: I rented the car and Europcar obviously instantly gave all my details out.

Would I be adviced to just pay the claimed amount or could I get problems as they might try to claim it by Europcar?

Thanks a lot for the help!

private parking charge - RT

Go onto the Pepipoo website - give full details and they'll advise.

private parking charge - FP

I second the suggestion to go to www.pepipoo.com

As far as Europcar goes, the parking company may go after them, but they have passed on your details and there is no way the parking company can get anything from Europcar. If anyone's responsible, you are.

However, given the general situation with private parking companies, which is that they don't want to go to too much trouble to get their money, I would be inclined to ignore them. They will probably give up pretty quickly.

You may wish to look at this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=100406

Edited by FP on 30/08/2013 at 17:34

private parking charge - martint123

Also read your hire agreement. Very often this will say that the company will pay any fines and the like and charge it to your card. Plenty of Brits hiring abroad get caught by this when they get the bill a month or so after getting home.

private parking charge - bassduck

Thanks guys,

this is what Europcar terms say (couldn't find more):

You must take care of the Vehicle, keep it in good repair and condition, pay any fines for which you may be liable, reimburse Europcar for any damage to the Vehicle, and refund Europcar for any costs it incurs.

You are liable for all fees, taxes, fines and penalties incurred in connection with the use of the Vehicle and for which Europcar is charged, unless they have arisen through the fault of Europcar.

Doesn't seem they would pay it on my behalf and then charge me.