Toyota Yaris - buying small car in twickenham - pascoa341

My sister in law needs a new car since her Ford Ka has rusted away and did not pass MOT. Given that she wants as little maintenance as possible and has a budget of only £2000, I recommended a Japanese car such as a Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mitsubishi Colt Daihatsue Sirion, or a Kia Picanto or Hyundai Getz. Would it be possible to get a reasonable car of any of these types for £2000?

A futher problem is that she lives quite far away in Twickenham and neither I nor she has any clue of reputable car dealers. Are there websites where second hand car dealers are reviewed?

Toyota Yaris - buying small car in twickenham - oldtoffee

Your advice is sound and yes it should be possible to pick up a decent example for £2,000 probably a more recent Picanto or Getz than the Japanese models. You should assume that there is no such thing as a reputable car dealer and its entirely up to you to find a good car. Key is condition of the car so you need to be able to spot a good one from a bad one. There's good advice on HJ's tips on buyng used but look for signs of careful ownership such as a full service history with no big gaps, lots of receipts, tyres match up and are in good condition, inside is well cared for, check the MOTs and service receipts to help confirm the mileage. If they say it is HPI clear ask to see the certificate. A good test drive is essential to check nothing serious is wrong with the engine, gearbox, clutch, suspension, steering, brakes. If you don't feel qualified to do this don't go round used car dealers with £2,000 burning a hole, you stand a good chance of buying a duffer or getting fleeced and stitched up with a rubbish warranty. You might not of course, but go along expecting and looking out for this to happen. If you find a car you like, mileage, price seem right, google the garage name they might come up with some feedback on sites like this. Ask someone who knows about cars to help you out and come along.

Edited by oldtoffee on 23/08/2013 at 16:40

Toyota Yaris - buying small car in twickenham - Rockvilla

Sound advice re googling the garage name.

I found a car I really liked and was about to buy but it was towards the end of the day, so agreed to come back the next morning. I googled the garage the evening and there were some reviews for it, 1 was good, the rest were scathing. From very poor aftersales, worthless warranties and outstanding finance.

True, people will always voice bad experiences before positive ones, but I followed my head and didnt return to the garage.

Toyota Yaris - buying small car in twickenham - Auristocrat

Also have a look at the first generation Mazda 2 (2003-2007) - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/2-2003/