Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - arnold2

Not sure if this should be in Technical, but as it affects a lot of models thought I'd post here... HJ has updated the car review section in brief, but thought I'd expand on it here for the benefit of all.

In short, all Toyota VVT-I 1.4, 1.6 & 1.8L engines (1zz 1.8, 3zz 1.6 & 4zz 1.4) made from 2000 to mid 2005 may suffer from excessive oil consumption of 1L/600miles. As far as I can tell, neither the smaller 1.0 & 1.3 engines, not the 2.0 & larger VVTI engines had this problem.

The cause was insufficient oil capacity, poor piston and piston ring design. This led to the oil-ways sludging up, eventually causing hardened oil around the rings to misshape the bores.

The fix was re-designed pistons, rings and short block.

For older Toyota’s made before about July 2005, Toyota could retrofit these to the existing engine, having extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years.

After about July 2005 this fix was applied to new build Toyota’s, so these should not suffer this issue.

So, what does this mean if, like me, you were looking at a used petrol Toyota?

1. Purchase a VVT-I engined Toyota made after July 2005, apart from some Corolla’s which were fixed from Sept 2005. So get the VIN, and check with Toyota UK.

2. If getting an older model - check with Toyota UK if the fix has been applied already AS THAT WARRANTY WILL NO LONGER APPLY!

Cheers.

Edited by arnold2 on 08/08/2013 at 18:25

Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - derekschultz7

Hi Arnold,

I own one of these Toyota's which I bought at 40k miles and has suffered this problem and consequently uses quite a lot of oil, especially on long trips. It is otherwise, quite nice versatile car to live with so I am curious to know how much the fix you describe is likely to cost ?

My car is far outside the warranty period, so I would be paying for the fix myself. The consumption doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but it is good to know how it was caused at such low mileage, and that there is a fix. Regards, Derek

Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - brum

Wait a minute.....last month I was reading about how Japanese cars are so reliable that Warranty Direct hardly have to pay anything out, now I'm reading on an almost daily basis about Toyotas, Hondas etc giving all sorts of grief?

A common theme is "its a known design problem" and "they have extended/not extended their warranty" and "my car is outside the extended/non-extended warranty"

Maybe I'm just having a bad dream

Whatshisname will be along shortly to chastise me and tell me I'm reading it wrong and to stop being so childish.....

(I'm also holding my iphone wrong and my kitchen has just been flooded with the "wrong kind of rain")

Hate Honda?

Edited by brum on 26/08/2013 at 00:34

Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - corax

And yet my dads Avensis 1.8 is a 2003 model and uses no oil between services. I think it's a bit hit and miss whether you end up with a duffer in the earlier years.

This car is brilliant. He's had it around six years and it's needed a handbrake cable and the fuel filler cap release motor failed, (which he left because a new one was £120). The rest is just servicing. I can't think of many cars of this size that would be so cheap to run. 95k and the suspension is tight,engine is smooth and it goes like a train. The underneath is clean and even the exhaust is still shiny.

It has scratches and dings all over it but has been serviced well. It's a bog standard T2 which means it has steel wheels and no climate control. I have got my eye on it if he decides to trade it in because it is a seriously good car for banger money. There are years of life left in it.

Edited by corax on 26/08/2013 at 20:34

Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - SteveLee

Wait a minute.....last month I was reading about how Japanese cars are so reliable that Warranty Direct hardly have to pay anything out, now I'm reading on an almost daily basis about Toyotas, Hondas etc giving all sorts of grief?

All manufacturers get it wrong occasionally - it's how they deal with the situation - and Toyota are the best in that department.

Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - madf

You mean about a problem which occurred nearly a decade ago and was fixed under warranty?

\Please do keep up :-)

Edited by madf on 27/08/2013 at 07:53

Toyota - Toyota VVT-I excessive oil consumption-answers! - NARU

A common theme is ...d "they have extended/not extended their warranty" ...

The big difference with Honda and Toyota is that when an inherent defect is found in their product, they typically extend the warranty in regard of that component. I don't recall Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Mazda etc doing anything similar.

Of course they don't always get it right, and it must be galling if you fall through the gaps, but I haven't felt the need to my any aftermarket warranty for the Japanese cars in our household.