Toyota RAV4 - Fuel contamination; how common is it? - Dabooka

Hi everyone, your collective insight is requested!

On my way home tonight, my "Check Engine" and "Check 4x4 System" warnings took turns to flash up my display. Initally I feared that a return of my engine repair woes had resurfaced (see here www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101494), but after turning the interior of my car blue I realised I had just put 30 litres of diesel in the car not more than 5 minutes / 2 miles earlier.

I drove straight home (another mile and a half) and wonder what your thoughts are on;

1. The likelyhood of contaminated fuel (receipt confirms 28.39 litres of diesel)
  2. It being linked to the previous engine issue (none of the previous signs and symptoms present)
  3. It being ompletely unrelated and I'm barking up the wrong trees :-)

My dilema is now what to do in the morning. I know from reading on here the potential harm I can do driving with the wrong fuel in, but don't know what to do. My main dealer is 9 miles away from home. If option 1is more likely have I potentially b*****ed it already?

Help and advice most welcome!

Sam (aka Dabooka)

Toyota RAV4 - Fuel contamination; how common is it? - gordonbennet

Firstly i'd have a damn good sniff of whats in the tank, even a gallon of petrol if rthere should be obvious if you have a fairly keen nose.

Other obvious things to do are to check all levels, and actually look at the oil and water for contamination of either.

Is it still coming up with the warnings now if you restart and does it sound completely normal?

Toyota RAV4 - Fuel contamination; how common is it? - craig-pd130

I would first suspect a connector to a sensor has come adrift or similar, as a result of the under-bonnet disturbance from the earlier repair work.

If your receipt says you put the right fuel in your tank, the chance of the forecourt pump dispensing the wrong fuel, or contaminated fuel, is very small. Not impossible, but very small.

Have a look under the bonnet in the morning, and check by hand every wiring connector plug you can see, just to see if one is loose / not been pushed home properly. If that doesn't reveal anything, take it to the dealer.

Toyota RAV4 - Fuel contamination; how common is it? - jc2

If you were able to drive two miles home,it's unlikely it's the wrong fuel!!

Thanks for your responses so far

I doubted it was contaminated fuel but thought if check out the likelihood of it happening; seems unlikely so that's ruled out!

I've left it overnight so will check it soon once TheBoy is feed and watered and then head off down the road. The manual suggests is nothing more than a service due just seems a particularly scary way to get the message across.

I'll post back my findings.........

Well the the Toyota dealership have hooked it up and couldn't find anything untoward from the diagnostics. They also removed the EGR valve and cleaned that out on the off chance it was coked up and causing the error codes, just on the off chance.

So basically it's a case of wait and see what happens really, but whatever triggered it, it'sclearly nothing urgent / explosive!