1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - almera1.4GX

I recently bought a low mileage '98 Nissan Almera - 1.4 Petrol, manual with 75,000 miles.

I was told that the oil needs to be changed (trade car) but I didn't change it for about 1,000 miles and it drove perfect. I then changed the oil & filter, the old oil looked extremely dirty as if it wasn't chaged for 30 thousand miles or more. I bought Castrol oil for this and after the change a loud rattle occured from start up.

The noise did go down and at the moment it's still very slight but it's annoying and I'd prefer it to be in better condition.

What could this be? how should I fix it?

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - HandCart

Could be just hydraulic tappets, but if it's still doing it on later startups after having been run, did you get a 'proper' oil filter that may have a non-return valve in it?

Did you use the correct grade of oil? - if it's too thin it might sound tappetty / if it's too thick it may take longer to circulate on startup. (?)

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - almera1.4GX

I used Castrol 10W40 Magnetic with an oil filter from the motor factors that was the exact same as the previous one.

Should I change brand of oil or could this be a timing chain issue?

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - tony g
Try adding STP or some similar oil additive , I've done it many times and it can make a huge difference to an older car.
1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - AlastairM

This used to happen with BMWs, if you fitted a non-standard oil filter without a non-return valve the oil would drain down from the hydraulic tappets and it would take a few seconds to recharge them. Worth a try perhaps?

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - unthrottled

Don't all oil filters have a non-return valve in? Even the no frills FRAM ones that I buy have this!

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - HandCart

75,000 isn’t a high mileage, especially for the car’s age, but A) can you be certain that it’s genuine, B) Maybe it’s low because the car led a life of nothing but short trips (not ideal), and C) You admit that the old oil looked very old and tired, so the car may have been abused and neglected; so in summary, the engine MAY be more worn than one might think.

With that in mind, although many people on this forum will react with horror, it MAY be worth trying some STP or Molyslip –some folk reckon they could dissolve copper-compound bearings or damage the catalytic converter - but if the engine is already a bit jiggered you may not have much to lose.

And/or maybe try some 15W-50 oil?

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - daveyK_UK
you wouldnt want to use 10w 40 in an old car engine, try something a bit thicker.
1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - unthrottled

you wouldnt want to use 10w 40 in an old car engine, try something a bit thicker.

98 isn't 'old'. I run 5w30 in a '96 k7m engine whose basic architecture goes back to the early 80s.

20w 50 should only be put in British junk named after University towns.

Well, according to Opie Oils, the standard oil for that car is 5W-30 !

I had a 1996 Primera 2.0, and that’s also supposed to be 5W-30, so presumably that’s what I used in it, and it already had 77k miles on when I got the car. It had 117K miles on when I sold it, and the engine was still fine (gearbox not as fine).

Maybe I used something a little thicker, I can’t remember now. But it’s now got me wondering if there’s any possibility the rattling is because the 10W-40 is TOO thick?! Surely that’s unlikely though?

Well, according to Opie Oils, the standard oil for that car is 5W-30 !

I had a 1996 Primera 2.0, and that’s also supposed to be 5W-30, so presumably that’s what I used in it, and it already had 77k miles on when I got the car. It had 117K miles on when I sold it, and the engine was still fine (gearbox not as fine).

Maybe I used something a little thicker, I can’t remember now. But it’s now got me wondering if there’s any possibility the rattling is because the 10W-40 is TOO thick?! Surely that’s unlikely though?

I know that it isn't clocked but I do agree, I don't think it had been very well cared for with the oil being dirty and the tires on the car were quite old at the time I got it. I've nearly four thousand miles on the car since it's last oil change so I will try a genuine oil filter to see if that causes any trouble.

I was told to use 10-40 because it gives it more protection but then again as you say it could be too thick. Is there anymore thoughts on oil? I'm thinking of trying 5W-30.

Also people have suggest SPD - I've been using Wynns engine noise additive on it which has helped somewhat.

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - quizman

It's probably the filter, cheapo ones don't have the return valve, you should use one from a Nissan dealer.

The oil will be OK.

It's probably the filter, cheapo ones don't have the return valve, you should use one from a Nissan dealer.

The oil will be OK.

I will try that - thanks for all your help everyone.

So I presume that I don't need to worry about the timing chain?

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - bathtub tom

From HJ's review.

Make sure engine has clean oil and that coolant has been changed every two years (a messy, but necessary, service job, often neglected).

Engines have two timing chains so if any rattles in this department, don't buy. By 2010 starting to have timing chain problems if oil changes have been neglected.

Edited by bathtub tom on 11/07/2013 at 20:42

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - Mike H

I don't think it had been very well cared for with the oil being dirty and the tires on the car were quite old at the time I got it.

Don't forget tyres age as well, if you haven't already changed them you should if they are more than 5 years old.

But it’s now got me wondering if there’s any possibility the rattling is because the 10W-40 is TOO thick?! Surely that’s unlikely though?

Thicker oils provide a thicker film when hot, but they take longer to circulate when cold. That means that splash lubricated components run dry for longer when started up. For cars used for short journeys, lower viscosity oils are much better. There's no point agonising over HTHS viscosities if your engine oil seldom sees north of 80C!

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - brum

I'm surprised none of the backroom experts have given the correct answer!

The OP drained all the oil and fitted a new filter. Chances are the oil galleries drained down if he did it for long enough and did he pre-fill the filter with oil?? (not always possible dependent on filter type and mounting position).

Therefore on start up, it would take a few seconds for the engine lubrication system and filter to fill up before oil pressure built up significantly - during this time the hydraulic chain tensioner (I'm guessing its hydraulic) is slack / hydraulic tappets empty etc and hence horrible rattling for a few seconds until the oil pressure light goes out. Quite normal on some engines.

I'm now guessing this frightened the OP who now thinks he can hear a faint rattle - which probably was there all along, or was masked by the sludge around the chain cover.

I'd suggest that he (and everyone) steer clear of aftermarket filters, most motor factors will sell the cheapest junk they can source. Buy an OE filter - in this case either genuine Nissan or OE quality ones like Mann-Hummel. And buy the correct spec oil for the car - have a look in the car manual.

If the oil hasnt been changed for a long time (and its sounds probable) an engine flush might whats needed to unblock/remove the gunge still in the engine (and chain tensioner/tappets etc)

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - McP

I have always used 10W40 semi synthetic (whatever make was cheapest in my local factor) in our Nissans and genuine Nissan filters.

I wouldn't recommend a flush. Replace the Magnatec after a few hundred miles and use a quality filter.

The GA engines in these cars are pretty much unbreakable. The newer QG 1.5 and 1.8 not so.

Thanks everybody - so I'm going to Nissan tomorrow for a genuine oil filter.

Now another question what grade and brand of oil to use?

I hear Millers oils are excellent.
1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - bathtub tom

>>Now another question what grade and brand of oil to use?

Use any brand of oil that meets the specification described in your handbook.

If you haven't got a handbook, enter your car details into the different oil retailers websites. I've done one for you here. Comma seems to be sold by most motor factors:

www.commaoil.com/products/results/91005293

Don't forget a new sump plug washer.

Got the oil filter from Nissan yesterday and planning on changing the oil tomorrow.

I'm going with Semi-synthetic 10w/40, any thoughts?

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - Doc

The Shell site says: 10w/40

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - McP

Any make of 10W40 semi synthetic will be fine.

Halfords have an offer on. £10 for 4 litre of their own brand.

I have used Halfords oil in our Nissans before. Absolutely fine. They also quote 10W40 as the oil for your car.

I presume the filter is on the back of the engine like the Primera with the 1.6 version of your engine? If so, latex gloves give a good grip and is easier than trying to get a filter strap/wrench around it.

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - MrDanno

The Halfords oils are made by Comma but, On the offer they are great value for money. Buy yourself 2 or 3 cans and you'll have enough for the next couple of oil changes.

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - Cyd

Both my van (Dispatch HDi 136) and car (Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero tuned to 260PS/360Nm) are currently running on Halfords 5W30 for GM (purple can), bought during the last £10 a tub offer. Both are running exceptionally well at the moment. The Saab turbocharger in particular takes a real pasting, being petrol and under my right foot!

I shall be buying more this week.

Any make of 10W40 semi synthetic will be fine.

Halfords have an offer on. £10 for 4 litre of their own brand.

I have used Halfords oil in our Nissans before. Absolutely fine. They also quote 10W40 as the oil for your car.

I presume the filter is on the back of the engine like the Primera with the 1.6 version of your engine? If so, latex gloves give a good grip and is easier than trying to get a filter strap/wrench around it.

Yeah the oil filter is the same position as the Primera - bit of an awkward spot but accesable. I will drop over to Halfords and pick some oil up.

I priced up a fuel filter with Nissan which is £45 which seems a bit steep - is their a need to change on a petrol car?

£45 !!!

It is supposed to be changed every 3 years

Eurocarparts have a Crosland for £6.60

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - brum

£45 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GSFCarparts.com do a "premium" oil filter £3.46 less 25% = £2.60!!

All their premium filters I have bought in the past have been MANN which I rate as some of the best filters available anywhere. Best to phone them to make sure what filter brand they supply though. Premium should mean OEM.

Well more news and firstly can I thank everyone who has landed their advice.

I got the Genuine Nissan filter and new 10w40 engine oil.

They're has been a slight change with no engine noise on start up, but I'm afraid the rattle is still there although a bit quiter. I'm suspect I'm looking at timing chain and possible tensiorers at this stage? (80,000 miles).

And if that is the case - would I be best going to a Nissan dealer.
1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - daveyK_UK

can you source new tensioners and a new chain from any of the suppliers?

I think you'll find changing the chain's a big job and will probably cost more than the car's worth at a dealer.

It's an old car, let it rattle away.

Turn the radio up!

1998 Nissan Almera 1.4GX Model - '98 Almera 1.4 engine rattle after oil change - Smileyman

I used to hear a chain from time to time in my old 1996 1.6 Primera ... sold it at 172k miles.

So after all my questions here and all the help - you guys solved it.

The new Nissan oil filter was the cause of the problem, their is a slight noise on start up but I think that's perfectly normal. It's running great which is a great relief.

Although with 35MPG I think it's time to change.