Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - bananastand

Current Volvo is a bit too asthmatic for towing the caravan, so my cunning plan has been to do an autotrader search for a petrol engined car, 3.0 to 3.9 litre, up to 10 years old, max price £5000. As you will be aware the site narrows the range of manufacturers for you.

Mercedes - overpaying for the badge. Ditto BMW. Audis all seem to be quattros, don't think I need it really. Don't want a 4x4 of any kind. Don't want a diesel either. Nearly went for a Phaeton but the repair bills will make me sad.

Narrowed down to a Vectra or Mondeo, both 3.2. Is there anything to choose between them? There seem to be plenty around. I want to avoid ex-police of course.

I'll be doing a lot of motorway miles and i like the extra bit of power. I think I've arrived at the right choice (almost)

What does the panel think?

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - oldroverboy.

For me, the mondeo would edge it, but that is personal, No experience of big v6 vauxhalls. so just an opinion.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - RT

You might just get the last of the Omegas.

I think it might be decided by what the cabin feels like. Some new Fords I've seen have terrible silvery finishes on the dash, they look like some kind of cheap toy spaceship or ghettoblaster.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Happy Blue!

I think it might be decided by what the cabin feels like. Some new Fords I've seen have terrible silvery finishes on the dash, they look like some kind of cheap toy spaceship or ghettoblaster.

You think that the Ford silver dash is bad. The Vauxhall is far worse.

Good idea though. Are there not any Japanese cars that meet the bill. Nice Lexus GS300?

Edited by Happy Blue! on 08/07/2013 at 13:01

and not only that..... I know when you get into sub-£3000 territory it's a bit of a guessing game, but some traders seem to be asking wildly different prices for similar cars, or sometimes you see one asking loads for an average car right next to an ad asking less for what seems like a better one.

I know I sound like an innocent abroad here!

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - unthrottled

In this catagory I'm not sure that a BMW will be necesarily more expensive to run. There was very low demand for 3litre+ Vauxhalls and Fords and motorfactors might not cater for the small volume models.

That said,I knew one person who ran an omega estate3.2 V6 and he had nothing but praise for the car.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Bobbin Threadbare

The variety of petrols over 3L is crazy - there's a massive difference in quality and car type even just in one price bracket. It's going to be hard to choose. An ex-colleague of mine had a 3L Mondeo and he adored it, until he wrecked it crashing into someone else. It could really pull and it handled very nicely. There's a lot of Jag S-Types on there too; can't argue with cabin quality on those! A few Lexus GS300s.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Avant

It might be worth scouring Autotrader and the like for a Honda Legend, Nissan QX or Hyundai Sonata V6. There'e also a Skoda Superb 3.6 listed although I don't think they've ever sold well.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Cyd

Have a look at Saab 9-5 Aero. That 2.3 turbo pushes out something like 340Nm and 250PS. Bags of braking too.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - unthrottled

If you can live with the chuck Norris looks, Chrysler 300C 3.0 V6 could be an option. For towing, the RWD would actually be an asset rather than a liability.

Back in the fifties my grandfather bought an Austin Sheerline 4.0l for the purpose of towing a caravan. I can think of a better use of a big engine-such as running an electric generator that heats up a giant resistance heater :)

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - daveyjp
VW Passat was available with a 3.2. They also shoehorned a W8 into it at one point.
Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - NARU

what about a chyrsler 300C? A range of big engines, and 100Kg noseweight limit (I think).

They do a 3.5 litre petrol, but I'd go for the 5.7. Perhaps something like this? www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20130708770.../

I'd try a cheeky bid - you might get it for your budget.

Edited by Marlot on 09/07/2013 at 07:38

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Armitage Shanks {p}

Don't forget to look into the possibility of having to fit a transmission oil-cooler to whatever you buy.

Most modern automatics have a transmission cooler, either a loop in the "bottom" tank of the coolant radiator or a fluid-to-fluid cooler using the heater circuit - with the exception of Mercedes-Benz, the other manufacturers determine their towing limits based on just the standard cooler, no air-to-fluid cooler.

If you do fit an additional cooler it's easy to plumb in, using the pipework to the cooler loop, but make sure the ATF flows through the additional cooler first and that you fit a thermostat otherwise the ATF will be running cold in most conditions.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - daveyK_UK

Hyundai Sonata/Kia Magentis do a lovely 2.5 V6

Hyundai also did a 3.0 V6 in the later Sonata

Make sure the cam belt has been done and these cars are bulletproof.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 09/07/2013 at 10:08

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Collos25

I Chrysler 300c is nothing more than a poorly made e class w210 a E class w211 is probably one of the best cars made a 320 diesel can be obtained for around 5k whereas petrols are for nothing by comparison.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - pd

I Chrysler 300c is nothing more than a poorly made e class w210 a E class w211 is probably one of the best cars made a 320 diesel can be obtained for around 5k whereas petrols are for nothing by comparison.

That's the most bonkers thing I've ever read on this site. A W211 on of the best cars made! A bigger pile of utter s***e built car you can't imagine. After 2006 they were good, but there is no such thing as a cheap W211 E320 CDI. Just look on this very site if you want an indication of what goes wrong with them (look in the car reviews).

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - craig-pd130
VW Passat was available with a 3.2. They also shoehorned a W8 into it at one point.

Haha, yes, I remember being gobsmacked when I actually saw the W8 badge on the back of one a few years ago. If they ever imported more than half a dozen into the UK, I'd be very surprised ...

Well chaps I have got the following, the deal is done:

2004 Vectra 3.2 auto elite estate, leather, 77k miles, 1 year warranty, FSH, hpi. £1800. Lots of buttons on the wheel, dash etc. Sensible wheels and tyres.

The dealer said (after I paid) there's a facility for checking your economy.... but i wouldn't look at it if I were you.

Ha ha.

For anyone interested, this 3.2 Vectra now has an extra 6000 miles on it and is as solid as a rock. I've also found the handling unbelievably good. In August I had to get from one job to another in record time across country and it went through every imaginable twist and turn amazingly well (I adhered to the Highway Code at all times). It seems very fast too and the engine revs "freely", as I believe motoring journalists say.

The oil is still clean and the coolant has remained at the right level. I'm getting 29 mpg by my own brim to brim calculation.

It's very long though and quite hard to park, I wish it had a camera on the back. AND it cost £300 for the cambelt. It should have been more but, er, well, you know.

So there you go, it's a recommend from me.

Carry on chaps.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - craig-pd130

Excellent, hope it continues to serve you well.

Wasn't an unmarked police 3.2 Vectra involved in a case a few years back, where a policeman was caught 'testing the capabilities of the car' at over 140mph? :-)

The Vectra-C Estate is a BIG car - the saloon/hatchback aren't small as they had to replace Omega as well as Vectra-B - the estate is a full 4" longer, all in the wheelbase which makes it an exceptionally roomy car inside.

There is a major issue with the Vectra-C Estate - what on earth do you replace it with when the time comes, without sacrificing interior space ?

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - daveyK_UK

Is the current Mondeo as roomy in estate form?

Or the Skoda Superb estate?

You may have to go for a MPV or van based MPV.

Is the current Mondeo as roomy in estate form?

Or the Skoda Superb estate?

You may have to go for a MPV or van based MPV.

The current Mondeo Estate does seem to be the prime contender - Superb isn't as big - MPVs may have bigger volume but in our case internal length and width are the key measurements.

regards room, yes it's like a limo in the back. It is in the wheelbase, it's obvious when you look at it. It's incomparably better at towing than my old Volvo.

Once you're inside it definitely does not feel like a sub £2K car.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - oldtoffee

I had a Subaru 3.0R SpecB estate. Built like a rock, handled brilliantly and never got above 25mpg. Miss it quite a bit.

Next car, I want something with that 5.7 "hemi", whatever hemi means. I just need to get it past the missis aaaaagagakakak

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - dan86

I mrans the combustion chamber is in the shape of a hemispherical dome. And it generally refers to chrysler v8s

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - Happy Blue!

I had a Subaru 3.0R SpecB estate. Built like a rock, handled brilliantly and never got above 25mpg. Miss it quite a bit.

I had a Subaru Outback 3.0Rn. I would still have it but for the lack of rear passenger space.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - SteveLee

I had a Citroen c5 3.0L v6 auto - it was grunty, refined and reliable (yes really!) - the self levelling suspension would make for a fantastic towing car. It only cost me £4K when it was three years old - a lot of motor for the mullah.

VECTRA UPDATE

I'll try and give you the short version.

Vectra written off by a bus whose brakes failed. Liability admitted. My insurer yesterday offered me £1399. After I calmed down I asked what planet this "market valuation" was obtained on. Apparently the engineer uses Glass's Guide and Autotrader.

Well I scoured Autotrader meself and found nothing below £1800 and the examples I quoted back at the insurer were all higher miles, lower spec, not had the cambelt done (mine has) etc etc. So waiting to hear.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: I remember in the HJ column a while back something about going direct to the third party insurer (via my solicitor), bypassing my own insurer, and demanding to be put back in the position I was in before the accident. In other words, ignore what some cross-eyed engineer thinks is the "market valuation". I want my car back, or one like it, and I don't care what it costs.

Incidentally I went to an independent local trader and he punched my car details into his computer, and it came up with a retail of £1950.

What does the panel think?

By the way thank you to the previous correspondents for their car suggestions, I'm going through them now. Are Audis worth the money or are people buying the badge?

Dear me such a lot of questions.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - csgmart

I've been in the unfortunate positon of having to fight with my insurance company for a written off car (was stolen and crashed).

The initial offer from them was derisory but they soon offered more when presented with adverts from dealers and ebay etc proving that it would cost more to put me back where I was pre the theft.

I think most insurers offer low prices and expect to haggle a bit before agreeing a settlement figure the policyholder is happy with.

I'm sure if you present them with the evidence you've got so far that they will agree a higher figure. Just remain calm and polite - that way you are more likely to get the money you are looking for.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - barney100

Can't speak for BMWs but I think you can get a good value out of a big Merc, I've been running one for years, worth a detailed look.

I've got a merc on hire now and the missis hates it, mainly because of the bizarre "handbrake" being next to the clutch. She almost has to knee herself in the chin to work it.

Foot-operated parking-brakes take time to get used to but are fine once you do.

Vauxhall Vectra C - buying a >3 litre car... scouring autotrader - nick62

To echo a couple of posts above, I would try and find a Subaru Spec. B Legacy.

Proper "Q" car.