Wonga adverts - on Honest John - oldroverboy.

I know that it is advertising revenue for the site, but I strongly object to adverts of this nature on the site. I think that HJ is generally a force for good and should ban this sort of advertising, especially as some people looking at the site for legal advice might be tempted to fund any legal proceses via such a loan.

ORB>

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - RT

Bring back the old Money Lenders' Act - when interest rates on unsecured loans of this nature were limited by statute law to 48% per annum.

People do need protecting from themselves, we shouldn't need to but we must.

There is never any excuse for annual % interest rates in the 1000s, or even 100s, however short the timescale.

Edited by RT on 08/07/2013 at 12:43

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Collos25

A man was a little short of money one week so he borrowed 20ukp of a friend and paid it back one week later to repay his friends kindship he bought him a pint of beer the interest he actually paid if you work it out was as much than some of the lending companies.

Just an observation.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - veryoldbear

Damn right. I am a little short of 70 and I am really really p***ed off by Wonga's patronising adverts that show all old people as wobbly and demented. Grrrr.

I am also entertained by the filter on the HJ website. You can't sn*****, you have to laugh. Mutley would be amused.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - madf

Worrying about Wonga's protrayal of the old is just a sign of senility in my view:-)

Nuts, it's the in-built assumption that old people are suckers. They're not. They are cynical and up to all the tricks that such companies try.

When you look at life from an experienced viewpoint - it's the youngsters who are suckers and get drawn in by fashion and promotions, rarely stopping to look at the bigger picture.

I made enough mistakes myself as a youngster - I'd just like my lad to benefit from those mistakes - but like many, he won't listen!

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - tony g
What a load of pompous rubbish ,the adults who borrow from wonga ,cannot borrow from any of the usual organisations .

Banks and credit unions won't lend to them because they have defaulted on previous loans . Wonga and their like provide a loan when no one else will .

The cost of recovering the loan when numerous borrowers default, is reflected in the high interest rate .

Rather than pontificating about the evil loan companies , consider whether you would lend wonga customers your money .i know I wouldn't .

It's worth considering that welcome finance, a very large sub prime finance company ,went into liquidation trying to provide a service to wonga style customers .
What a load of pompous rubbish ,the adults who borrow from wonga ,cannot borrow from any of the usual organisations .

So just the same sort of customers that money lenders have always had - so why do they need such high rates to cover the same risks that used to be covered at 48% a few decades ago - around the time when the mortgage rate was 15% !!!

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Avant

I look at the site almost every day but I've so far managed to avod seeing these adverts. I've never heard of Wonga - sounds like a place in Australia.

ORB - I'm sure you wouldn't object to this without good reason, so do write to our publisher sarah@honestjohn.co.uk and make your feelings known.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - gordonbennet

What Wonga ads, i don't see them, and their dumb ads that appear on telly only reinforce my opinion of the company and anyone associated with them which is unprintable.

You can't legislate to protect people from themselves, if they're stupid enough to consider paying interest of 2000% or more to a bunch of fast buck wideboys, then let them.

There will always be victims, there will always be people who take advantage of them, its the way of the world.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - brum

You can't legislate to protect people from themselves, if they're stupid enough to consider paying interest of 2000% or more to a bunch of fast buck wideboys, then let them.

There will always be victims, there will always be people who take advantage of them, its the way of the world.

So why bother legislating against cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, rogue traders etc etc?

Its because people, often due to circumstances beyond their control, often young and gullible, find themselves drawn into these worlds.Once in, theyre hooked and find it almost impossible to escape.

Modern advertising is often more about brainwashing than informing - among the worst offenders are gambling adverts - many, many families have been torn apart by a son/daughters gambling addiction.

Personally I use Adblock, so I dont see these offensive adverts.

But I am maddened that HJ does not show the morals to draw the line on what advertisers he allows.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - gordonbennet

So why bother legislating against cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, rogue traders etc etc?

And look at the effect all this legislation has had, almost nil, now we have calls to legalise drugs because those in power have failed in their duty to deal effectively with the problem.

Some people are inherantly stupid, short of becoming a version of the USSR (and our modern EU version is heading that way) where there are no freedoms other than those granted by favour of the apparatchiks, then the stupid/gullible/half witted will always smoke drink or drug themselves into their own personal hell, you cannot legislate against stupidity.

As for rogue traders, if it quacks and waddles there's every chance its a duck...i've seen the wide boys as featured on such programs and i wouldn't give them a second of my time, if people think a fast talking geezer in a tranny van who calls them sorr is an honourable businessman and want to put several thousand cash pounds in his sweaty mitt so be it....what else do you do put half the population in protective custody?

The irony of all this is that the biggest con of our time is a large percentage of our own dishonourable politicians, they make the legislation (or rather rubber stamp that of the EUSSR) so are hardly likely to outlaw themselves.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/07/2013 at 08:26

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Smileyman

I don't see these Wonga ads, the tracking done by adchoices shows me ads that relate to web sites I visit - lots of adds for cars, travel, broadband and such like. At one time I did not like the ads I was seeing so I went onto the adchoices site (arrow on corner of ad) and changed the settings.

I don't like Wonga anyway, but it's not the cartoons of old people that upset me, it's the way the money lending fraternity charge such levels of interest, it's not their direct fault it's the system.

It's no different with borrowing to fund the purchase of a car, when asked how much can I afford my monthly repayments to be, I replied what's the total lifetime borrowing cost including all fees charges etc. Needless to say I purchased the car for cash and borrowed elsewhere with a lower lifetime repayment total.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Galaxy

I don't see any Wonga adverts on the HJ website, probably because I'm using Firefox with Adblocker Plus. Some websites are virtually unuseable, now, without it.

I don't like Wonga as a company because I don't approve of their incredibly high rates of interest. However, rightly or wrongly, they are fullfilling the need of some people to borrow money in this way. Sad, but true.

Edited by Galaxy on 09/07/2013 at 00:52

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Bromptonaut

I don't see any Wonga adverts on the HJ website, probably because I'm using Firefox with Adblocker Plus. Some websites are virtually unuseable, now, without it.

I don't like Wonga as a company because I don't approve of their incredibly high rates of interest. However, rightly or wrongly, they are fullfilling the need of some people to borrow money in this way. Sad, but true.

Need is the word. We've slipped into a society where too many people are financially on the margins and just a missed shift from disaster.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - FP

"...they are fullfilling the need of some people to borrow money in this way."

I can't help wondering what it is that the majority of these people "need" money for. Are they really poor? Are they bad at managing what money they have? I'm sure some fit into those categories, but I bet a lot of it is about materialism, consumerism and other undesirable things.

The problem with "poverty" is that it's defined as a fixed % of average income - so as the nation gets gradually better off, in real terms, so the poverty line goes up. How on earth they ever expect to defeat poverty I'll never know.

Depending on your age, your parents or grandparents would cringe at the poverty line today, typically the level of state subsistence benefits - because that level is probably HIGHER than the level of average incomes in their day.

"Need" today has a totally different meaning to previous generations.

SKY has over 10 million subscribers. When I went round council estates, almost wall to wall aerials.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - brum

SKY has over 10 million subscribers. When I went round council estates, almost wall to wall aerials.

So?? Surely that shows that these really are poor deprived people who are forced to get all their stimulation (aka brainwashing) from a goggle box,

So?? Surely that shows that these really are poor deprived people who are forced to get all their stimulation (aka brainwashing) from a goggle box,

Hmmm I thought SKY is a luxury ..Obviously not.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Collos25

Re Sky dishes how do know they are not on freeview there are satalite dishes just about on every house by my mothers but nobody to my knowledge actually pays Sky.

Hmmm I thought SKY is a luxury ..Obviously not.

In many rural places, satellite tv is the only reliable service as the range of digital terrestrial transmitters is much less than the old analogue.

Besides, many have a dish but use Freesat - not Sky.

And many ex-council houses are owned by hard-working people trying to pay their mortgags off without borrowing off W*****

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - Smileyman

I've got a sky dish and box, and a 'free to view' viewing card purchased for £20 perhaps 10 years ago. Until Freeview it was impossible to receive channel 5 (something to do with conflict with France from the Dover transmitter) unless using the sky system. Nowadays I hardly ever use the sky box, most things I want are on Freeview, (CNN is an exception) .. just because one has a sky dish does not mean one has a subscription to Sky TV.

On the subject of TV aerials, things may be different nowadays, but in the past you could travel (almost) anywhere with electricity and everyone would have a TV aerial, even if they went without the basics elsewhere in life.

Wonga adverts - on Honest John - oldroverboy.

so do write to our publisher sarah@honestjohn.co.uk

Thank you very much for your email alerting me to this. It’s one of those adverts that has snuck through the net! We use a few different ad networks and though we apply strict block lists some unfortunately get through. If you see it again and it’s possible to take a screen shot of the offender I would be very grateful.

Kindest Regards

Sarah