Fiat Punto - Overheating - quiz master

I have replaced the thermostat recently on my punto but my car is still overheating. It does not go up fully into the red but very close to it . Heaters blowing cold, any one offer some help please.

Edited by quiz master on 27/06/2013 at 21:38

Fiat Punto - Overheating - Fernando P

S

Fiat Punto - Overheating - Fernando P

I suggest one of the two coolant pipes to the heat exchanger is loosened to ensure that it is filled with coolant. Then check elsewhere for airlocks too.

Fiat Punto - Overheating - quiz master

Did replace coolant and also tried to clear any air lock by releasing valve on top of rad

Fiat Punto - Overheating - Peter.N.

Try disconnecting one of the heater hoses, then top up until coolant comes from both ends and reconnect.

Fiat Punto - Overheating - Collos25

The only real way to remove air from the system for a DIY person is to run the engine while stationary without the radiator or expansion chamber cap,all the air will eventually come out of course you could have a blown head gasget which will mean the air will never come out.

Edited by Collos25 on 28/06/2013 at 01:24

Fiat Punto - Overheating - unthrottled

It also helps to park the car facing uphill and bring the revs up, Open the bleed nipple and any air out and close the nipple before letting the revs drop. Successful bleeding can take several attempts-don't underestimate the amount of air in there!