VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

I was just wondering whether anybody has good knowledge about the 1.4 PD engine (70 / 80 hp) and how reliable it is? We all know the 1.9 is fairly bullet proof, is the 1.4 also tough? Or are there common and well known problems on this engine? Is this engine basically the 1.9 - 1 cylinder?

Thanks

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - 659FBE

The 1.4 PD is an engine I would avoid.

Engines which lack primary balance such as an in-line 3 require a balance shaft to enable smooth running. Secondary inbalance in, for example an in-line four, may require dual contra-rotating shafts running at twice crank speed to obtain the smoothest running.

Dear old VAG went through a phase of using chains to drive balance shafts - a stupid idea as the torsional loads imposed by the balance weights quickly destroy the chain tensioner and sprockets. On the 4 cyl PD, they had to retrofit a geared drive to give these engines a useful life, although the 2.0 PD balancer engine was never any good as VAG also contrived to make the oil pump drive unreliable.

The 3 cyl PD has a chain driven single balance shaft running at crank speed in contrary motion. The same chain drives the oil pump. These are now becoming noisy (predictably) and are starting to fail - and there is no retrofit. They last a bit longer than the Lanchester shaft drive on the fours because the drive ratio is 1:1. If you double the speed, the "imbalance" energy increses by a factor of four.

This engine most definitely would not be on my shopping list - but I do own a 1.9 PD. All of the later 3 cyl VAG engines use a geared drive to the balance shaft...

Edited by 659FBE on 25/06/2013 at 00:24

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - unthrottled

Engines which lack primary balance such as an in-line 3 require a balance shaft to enable smooth running.

I think this oft quoted problem is overstated (as is the general obesession with engine balance).

Driving a shaft with CoM off axis at 1:1 crank speed isn't a major issue (unlike the 1:2 ratio of the inline 4 balance shafts).

The problem with 3 pots is that the 240 degree firing interval is very wide and gives rise to high torsional loads on the crank. The problem is exacerbated with diesel engines since the crankshaft torsional loading is dominated by cylinder pressure and firing interval, so engine balance is a small problem.

If the torsional excitions are not suitably damped at the crankshaft, they will be transmitted to the timing gear. Chains are not good at coping with these fluctuating torques. The problem will manifest itself at the weakest point in the system, but the source of the problem lies at the crankshaft.

The same issue also gives rise to a loss of refinement-which is why I would avoid a 3 pot diesel

Damping devices like DMF and belt drives are effective means of dealing with these fundamental problems, but certain motoring journalists like to excoriate timing belts and DMF and extol the merits of chains...

I think we have both arrived at the same conclusion from differing aspects of the same problem.

Large firing angles coupled with high peak cylinder pressures are certainly a major problem with a 3 cyl diesel, but if you were to drive one of the latest VAG offerings (Fabia Greenline for example), the installed engine appears smooth enough to the user except perhaps at the very lowest crank speeds. It's worth bearing in mind that peak cylinder pressure is not often achieved - an economy diesel will spend most of its time on light load or overrun.

Primary imbalance on overrun is unpleasant in a vehicle and very obvious - which is why even a bargain basement VAG diesel has a shaft to counter its effects. Whatever the final solution, its implementation has to be of lasting use to the user.

VAG has not distinguished itself in the field of diesel (and many other) engine design since the 1.9 PD was introduced. Some of the most elementary design mistakes have been made in the last decade or so, such as:

Chain driven balancer shafts - killed by torsionals

Piezo injector stacks running in oil - conductive oil shorts them out

Ceramic glowplugs sold in a high-sulphur fuel market (USA) - sulphur is aggressively acidic at combustion temperatures, making the ends fall off

One wonders whether their Chief Engineer has been asleep on his watch - in terms of applying the Laws of Physics to the products for which he is responsible and also quite possibly for his(?) recruiting skills.

The backup of these questionable designs from VAG has not been to anything like my own standards of trading integrity. Choose very carefully.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - unthrottled

There's no doubt that a 3 cylinder engine can be smooth (superior to a four) at higher speeds, but the inherent low RPM coa***ness can push the operator to use higher revs than necessary-which can negate the benefit of moving to a smaller engine. NVH is very subjective and only individuals cn decide what is acceptable or not.

THe CR engines use a lower compression ratio than the PDs which will of course will help reduce PCP.

Thanks guys for the very informative responses. I won't be considering the 1.4 TDi thats clear. Is the newer 1.2 CR unit that you find in the current bleumotion Polo & Fabia Greenline also dangerous, or is that actually a decent design problem free engine? I cannot recall that I have read of any noticeable issues of that engine. I know someone that gets 71mpg ave after 50 000 miles in a bluemotion Polo and I find that attractive. But as I said is there other issues with this 1.2 unit? I believe this is a 4 cycilder unit.

Whilst on small units, is the Toyota 1.4 D-4D a good little engine or does it also have problems like the 2.2 unit?

One last question (I do apologise for milking the opportunity), HJ said that the VAG new 1.6 and 2.0 CR TDi engines are not as good / reliable as the Ford or any other munufacturers' units, but I cannot work out what the problems are with these engines? Are there actually reliability problems with them that is unique to them?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys for the very informative responses. I won't be considering the 1.4 TDi thats clear. Is the newer 1.2 CR unit that you find in the current bleumotion Polo & Fabia Greenline also dangerous, or is that actually a decent design problem free engine? I cannot recall that I have read of any noticeable issues of that engine. I know someone that gets 71mpg ave after 50 000 miles in a bluemotion Polo and I find that attractive. But as I said is there other issues with this 1.2 unit? I believe this is a 4 cycilder unit.

Whilst on small units, is the Toyota 1.4 D-4D a good little engine or does it also have problems like the 2.2 unit?

One last question (I do apologise for milking the opportunity), HJ said that the VAG new 1.6 and 2.0 CR TDi engines are not as good / reliable as the Ford or any other munufacturers' units, but I cannot work out what the problems are with these engines? Are there actually reliability problems with them that is unique to them?

Thanks again.

Does anybody have any knowledge of the above engines (1.2 TDi CR VAG diesel; 1.4 D-4D Toyota; or 1.5 dci Reynold) and their mechanical issues or are they all decent engines? Thanks

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - madf

My 2003 Yaris has the 1.4 engine - no dpf - and so far it's been fault free#. Maybe in the next decade ...:-)

Yaris 1.4 diesels have had dpf problems - low mileage ones - and MMT gearbox problems (spawn of Satan) but the engines are tough and last well if maintained properly..

#

with one exception. The battery failed after 10 years and had to be replaced..

Thanks madf

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - madf

One thing on a Yaris d4d.

The cam is chain driven. If oil changes are neglected, it wears and will rattle.. when cold at startup..

So check it has been serviced and listen carefully at cold idle..

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - JohnWinchester

Hello

Firstly, I'm new to the posting message process- forgive me if I get the process a little wrong.

I have a 1.4 Fabia (2010) Greenline with one of the 3 pot Engines (AMF) together with a counterbalance shaft driven by a chain. I bought the car from new - it managed to complete 95k miles without problems.

The car has been regularly serviced (by me) with oil and oil filters (and the sump oil drain nuts) all purchased from the dealership. Filters and oil purchased were those recommended to me on provision of the service document to the dealership staff.

The car has been back to the dealership once - for the replacement of the cam belt.

The car recently broke down on the motorway - all symptoms pointed towards an oil pressure problem (AA provided a road-side provisional diagnosis). The vehicle was recovered to the dealership; they set about providing a diagnosis of the reason for failure.

Dealership came back with a diagnosis of a wrecked Engine due to the counterbalance chain breaking and wrapping itself around the crankshaft. They informed me that pieces of metal were found at the top of the Engine in the valve gear. They have suggested a price of £5100 for a new Engine and fitting.

No 'goodwill' from Skoda and no 'goodwill' from the dealership.

Reading further on the forums suggest that this is not an isolated failure - many other people have suffered from thie failure and have had the same 'brush off' from Skoda and their dealerships.

The combined wisdom appears to suggest that the chain that drives the oil pump and contra-rotating counterbalance shaft is a 'life of Engine' component - which I take to mean there is no service regime (check/replacement) for this component.

Bearing in mind - the car was purchased (and a premium was paid for the Diesel Engine) on the basis or reliability, durability and longevity, it would seem that the car has (on any reasonable expectation) failed to live up to expectation.

My experience (with Peugeot and other Engines) suggest that 200K + miles is not an unreasonable expectation for a carefully and regularly serviced Diesel Engine.

Some 'wriggle room' has been suggested on the assumption that a stretched chain would provide some external indication (strange noises from the sump) of potention failure. I certainly did not experience any noise from the distressed chain and - since the vehicle has just recently been in for a cam belt change - neither did the dealership technicians; otherwise I'm sure they would have alerted me.

I'm told that this Engine has been used in Audi , Volkswagen , Seat and Skoda vehicles. Based upon my sorry story - I'd suggest that potential buyers avoid models that are powered by this Engine. Either that or in initate an inspection/replacement of the chain on the cam belt replacement service interval (this would be the most convenient time to inspect/replace the component).

Best regards.

Edited by JohnWinchester on 17/04/2014 at 11:29

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - RobJP

Unfortunately, the problem here is that you have done all this work yourself - now, you might well have bought the filters, oil and sump plugs from your dealer, but they have no way of knowing if those were ever fitted or not, and if the work was carried out by someone with any level of competence, or at what mileage the work was carried out. You might argue that it doesn't take much competence to do an oil change, but HJ had a question a few weeks ago from someone who had managed to top-up their coolant or screenwash into the oil filler (on a Porsche)

If the servicing work had all been done at your main agent, then you MIGHT have had some goodwill contribution. Maybe not, due to the mileage.

However, you tried to save money by doing the work yourself. Only you know what the savings were, but I doubt they are enough to offset the £5100 cost of a new engine

Edited by RobJP on 17/04/2014 at 12:11

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - gordonbennet

JW, what are you going to do with this car, source a used engine from a breaker or stump up for an new unit, giving the dealer even more of my money for their sub standard product would grate badly and i probably would cut me nose off to spite me face here.

I have every sympathy with the situation, however when i bought my one and only new vehicle, Hilux, i did my normal overvehiclemaintenance, but this was over and above that required by the maker done by their fair dealer, though they were quite happy to put in the oil i supplied them, which was of better quality than their own, and cut my servicing costs considerably with a 7.5 litre sump.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - Auristocrat

The situation regarding goodwill contributions is largely the same for all manufacturers.

If your car is outside warranty and not serviced by the appropriate dealer network, most manufacturers will decline any request for a goodwill contribution towards repairs.

The situation regarding goodwill contributions is largely the same for all manufacturers.

If your car is outside warranty and not serviced by the appropriate dealer network, most manufacturers will decline any request for a goodwill contribution towards repairs.

Yes in general, but there have been posts, from Toyota owners only i should add, who after normal warranty has expired have had their vehicles maintained well, with documentary proof, at other places, where subsequent failures subject to Toyota extended goodwill on known issues, usually 7 years 100k, have cropped up Toyota have still stood by their product, the only company that i'm aware of that do this, but happy to be pleasantly surprised if others do this.

One that recently comes to mind is a taxi driver with a 5+ year old Avensis having a brand new engine under goodwill @ around 107k miles long after he'd gone indy servicing, when the 2.2 engine ate its own CHG, i recall he sensibly paid them to fit a new clutch to the unit at the time.

You have no idea why I performed the work myself !

Go forth and patronise someone else.

End of discussion - goodbye.

You have no idea why I performed the work myself !

Go forth and patronise someone else.

End of discussion - goodbye.

No, I have no idea as to why you would do this work yourself, rather than let manufacturer qualified technicians (for what that title is worth) do it - but there are (as far as I see it) 2 choices.

1. You wanted to save some money, and thought the main agent was taking the proverbial regards pricing.

2. You live too far from a main agent for servicing to be feasible.

Now, bearing in mind that you've said you sourced the oil, filters, etc from the main agent, then option 2 is pretty well thrown out. After all, if you can find the time to get there to pick up the parts, then it's not going to be too much of an embuggrance to wait an hour or 3 for the work to be carried out.

So, I'm left with option 1. You bought a brand new car, and then decided to try to skimp on the servicing costs. Eventually though, it came back and bit you on the backside. Big style. Thing is, then you've decided to try to complain about how unfair VAG are, rather than accept that your gamble (and that is what it was) didn't pay off.

Of course, if I'm wrong, then I'll welcome your explanation (option 3, so to speak). However, I get the feeling that I've caused massive offence to you by speaking the blunt, unvarnished truth. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I will very publicly apologise, right here in this forum. And you can hold me to that.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - dieselnut

You will be better off finding a used engine from a breakers. There are plenty on eBay from £300 upwards :-

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Complete-Engines-/33615/i.html?...e

This is a recurring theme again from VW.

When the 1.9PD engine was upgraded to 2l in 2006, they added the ballance shafts to the oil chain drive with similar concequences & wrecked engines.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - bazza

Yep it's a common failing so I read. 659 had had plenty to say about this and he's the acknowledged expert on it.

By the way, JW, I don't think anyone is patronising you here to be honest. We are all just trying to help.

Replace with a second-hand engine and get shot would be my exit stategy here.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - Avant

John - I agree that this is a very frustrating situation to be in, but you have to see it from the point of view of the manufacturer. They have no way of knowing whether a home service has been done by a competent DIYer, as I'm sure you are, or by someone completely inexperienced who has a go for the first time and makes a complete pigs' breakfast of it.

Sadly, this is a litigious age and there are people in the second category who look for someone else to blame.

I do hope that doesn't sound patronising - I don't mean to be, nor does anyone else on here!

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - Happy Blue!

I think JohnWinchester is patronising us coming on here as a newbie and expecting complete sympathy for his dilemma, when in reality, our communal view of such matters was adequately explained to him in the first reply.

None of us here knows anyone else in the Back Room. Some of us talk sense (so it seems); some don't. We get a feeling for those that do and for a newbie to ask a question; receive a sensible reply and then march off because he does not like the answer implies that he has been 'caught out'.

Does anyone else think that it is sensible to have a brand new car 'home serviced' to the exclusion of dealer servicing, at least for the first three years?

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - coopshere
Quite agree Happy Blue. I can't understand how anyone can invest thousands of pounds on something they want to last and then fail to spend a few hundred on having it properly maintained by an authorised person. It may be there is an inherent fault in the product but to prove that the terms laid down by the manufacturer has to be fulfilled first.

Hello.

Not at all patronising - I welcome courteous comments.

Still begs the question whether the problem would have occurred if a Skoda mechanic had drained the oil, changed the oil filter and added new oil at 10k intervals ?

I'm of the opinion - after careful consideration - (see Note) that it (the problem) would still have occurred.

Which; of course - leaves me with no choice other than litigation.

Note- I do have a little experience in Engineering - albeit not as a motor mechanic. My background is 45 years in the aircraft and computer industries as a Systems Design Engineer. In particular I spent time as a stress Engineer working on the catastrophic failure of airframe components subjected to fatigue cycles

John, I'm glad you came back to us and as moderator I should have said 'welcome to the forum'. I'm also glad that my impression that you were servicing the car properly was correct: it's just that the manufacturer has no way of knowing how competent DIY servicing has been, or how well the car has been driven.

With 95,000 miles under its belt in 4 years, your Fabia's engine has clearly done some long trips. I'd be interested in your view as an engineer as to how well-suited a little 3-cylinder engine is to that sort of use. Certainly one could have expected the VAG 1,9 TDI to have done that mileage without major failure.

I broadly agree with most of the comments.

John, coming from the view of 'if it aint broke don't fix it' i have very old fashioned views about most things and servicing is one of them, you just can't beat good miantenance for long life, i don't hold with the current fashion of extended service intervals at all..

..or in the case of auto gearboxes in the early noughties no servicing whatsoever, was that an April Fool which got out of hand i wonder, if so it cost some owners many £thousands when their sealed for life boxes popped their clogs, conveniently just comfortably out of warranty, never mind sir just sign here for another new car, kerching.

The typical service regime as required for VAG BMW etc i could not abide by, so i would have done similar to you and slipped at least one oil change in at around half way intervals, but i would have kept schtum about it.

I would not however have avoided the basic servicing requirements of the marque and in order to bank some goodwill (we assume the dealer/maker knows what this means, not all do) would have had the main dealer carry out the required normal servicing.

This would then give, one would hope,, a far better footing to make a claim in the event of failure.

I wish you the best of luck with this, but i fear you have given the dealer/maker the perfect defence of failing to stick to the terms of servicing, which are usuallymain dealer, preferable to garner goodwill, or at the very least receipted from a VAT regd garage normally using genuine parts.

Some readers will know that as a former tester of diesel engines, I have made something of a study of the earlier VAG PD engines - and I have commented on the 3 cyl 1.4 engine above.

Now that these engines are old, my predictions concerning the longevity of the chain drive to the balancer shaft and oil pump have proved to be correct - it's useless.

A balancer shaft deliberately introduces torsional oscillation into the rotating system of the engine - that's what it's there for. At some engine speeds resonances will occur, giving rise to very large forces. A chain has no means of absorbing the energy contained within these oscillating masses - it's infinitely flexible in compression and inelastic in tension.

This conspires to make the set up the disaster it has proved to be. The problems with the chain on the 1.4PD have nothing whatever to do with maintenance - they are caused by the designer displaying complete ignorance of the Laws of Physics.

As I have often said of VAG - there are some good products out there (1.9PD) but there are also far too many with fundamental design faults which could have been avoided by the application of basic Physics and above all, common sense. The back-up given by this organisation does not meet my standards of trading integrity - so my advice would be to go very carefully if you buy products from them.

Edited by 659FBE on 18/04/2014 at 17:02

"The problems with the chain on the 1.4PD have nothing whatever to do with maintenance - they are caused by the designer displaying complete ignorance of the Laws of Physics."

Many thanks as ever, 659, for your expertise. This is of course John's problem - that the corporate mind (not just VAG) can't get its head round the idea that a part may fail which is nothing to do with servicing. They just invalidate the warranty anyway.

Regarding long-life servicing - of any marque - I'd have to utterly agree. It is probably the most profitable solution for the manufacturers in the long run (after all, you lose one disgruntled customer to another marque, and gain one from that other marque), but it really smacks of milking those customers for every penny you can.

Regarding getting extra oil changes done : I've got one of the 'new' F31 BMW 3 series estates (privately owned, not business). Usual official BMW oil change interval is 18,000 miles (roughly). All I do is book in at the halfway point for an oil and oil filter change. Surprisingly, BMW main agents aren't that expensive for that, about £160.

Considering that my fuel, tyres, a 'normal' annual service, insurance, car tax, etc. work out at somewhere around £3,000 a year, that extra £160 really is lost in the background noise. Then, if you add in depreciation, that £160 becomes pretty insignificant.

659FBE you obviously have a lot of experience with the PD engine, but I am curious as to the design robustness of the new 2.0 CR VAG engine (2011 Golf 140hp CFFB to be precise)? Not sure if you / anybody else know much about this engine? I've not really read anything about poor reliability. I bought one with 88k on the clock serviced by VW every 18k, so I know of all the scary stories that comes with that. Under my ownership it will have fresh Castrol Edge 5w30 oil + filter every 10k + Shell Nitro diesel. I'm getting 59mpg (computer) at the minute cruising at 70mph to the tune of ~15k / year. I've owned every 1.9 and 2.0 PD VAG ever made always enjoyed them (still do with my other car), but I have to give them some credit on this 2.0 CR in terms of driving experience - it's fantasticly quiet, pulls unbelievebly smooth (and like a horse) from nearly 1000rpm (not that I do that, but I have tested it) and obviously returns satisfactory mpg. If the reliability is going to be anything like the driving experience the future is rosy. I'm hoping that me looking after the car will be enough to get us to 200k.

Thanks

It's difficult to predict reliability until an engine has been in production for some time - but a few observations:

The high pressure fuel pump is almost as highly stressed as the PD unit injectors - but has to survive on fuel lubrication rather than the optimised lubricating oil in the PD. This makes the engine extremely intolerant of mis-fuelling or poor fuel system maintenance. I would not expect a CR high pressure pump to last the life of the engine. (Bosch PD injectors nearly always do).

The oil pump drive coupling is still suspect on these engines - a carry over from the balancer 2.0PD. They have improved the depth of engagement of the coupling hex (axially and radially) and may have improved the concentricity tolerancing. I still give it 0/10 for engineering design in view of the torsionals present.

The CR has the same silly water pump location on the tight side of the cambelt - change at every belt change.

Away from the engine, DPFs can be troublesome and will likely cost maintenance money before you throw the engine away. Its differential pressure transducer (locted cosily near the exhaust) is a frequent failure item - not a deal-breaker though.

I should also have added:

VAG may now be sourcing turbochargers from suppliers other than Garret. Reliability is almost certain to suffer. I would investigate if Borg W are involved.

As Euro emissions standards march onwards, engine mounted actuators such as those for boost control and intake flaps require position feedback to give accurate control - the simple pneumatic devices of the older PDs in which the engine is included in the feedback control loop will not now pass muster.

This raises the real possibility of stripped plastic gears if an actuator is obstructed, or fatigue failure of the electronics due to vibration and thermal cycling. Expensive.

Would you mount a boost control electrical actuator with feedback control electronics 3" away from a red-hot turbocharger turbine fitted to a vibrating diesel engine and expect a long and trouble free life?

I'll keep my 1.9PD.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - corax

Would you mount a boost control electrical actuator with feedback control electronics 3" away from a red-hot turbocharger turbine fitted to a vibrating diesel engine and expect a long and trouble free life?

No , but then the people you hear from most who rave about modern diesels are buying new or nearly new and they are still within warranty, changing to another when it runs out, and leaving some other poor chancer to play russian roulette with the cast off's.

Apart from anything else, older diesels stink. I am behind at least one or two daily. Who bothers to check whether the EGR valve is working, or clean out the manifold as part of their maintenance? Not many I would think.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds grim. I guess at least the emission laws count for everyone so all manufacturers with diesels have to pull the same tricks. I've heard of some new VAG 2.0 CR with well over 200k with no issues, I think they have been around since 2008 now. So I'll try to treat mine as best I can and hope for the best. Heaven help us when all the PD engines are too old to use. Then we're properly £$%^& I guess. I'll kee my last PD as long as possible.

Thanks

I forgot to ask when would you reccommend cleaning the EGR valve/manifold on the 1.9 PD and on the 2.0 CR? Is this very exspensive?

Edited by 5cylinderdiesel on 25/04/2014 at 23:19

I forgot to ask when would you reccommend cleaning the EGR valve/manifold on the 1.9 PD and on the 2.0 CR? Is this very exspensive?

Look up 1.9 PD EGR valve/manifold cleaning on You Tube and marvel at the soot build up in some engines. I had a new EGR valve fitted to my old Audi 80 Tdi, but the old one was completely blocked up and soot was set hard like coal.

I'm not sure how much a garage would charge to do it as it is a messy job and wouldn't be on their favourites list!

659FBE why are you asking whether B Warner is now building teh turbo's? Are they better or worse than Garrett and why? When (what sort of mileage) would you be cleaning or replacing the EGR valve on your 1.9 PD? Or do you driv eit till it shows signs of blockage? Are there other things to consider when doing this?

Thanks again

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - Sofa Spud

Lots of manufacturers are moving to 3-cylinder engines, so it's unlikley that the engine's durability will be affected simply by it having only 3 cylinders.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""Apart from anything else, older diesels stink. I am behind at least one or two daily.""

What's worse is a poorly tuned petrol engined banger - where you get a cocktail of exhaust fumes, burnt oil and worse, a whiff of unburnt petrol from leaky fuel system!

Some very new Diesels stink, you won't smell any fumes from the exhaust on my MAN lorry, ever, but if one of our 62 plate Scanias fires up or is on fast tickover (operating hydraulics and blower) at a customer same time as me, i'm often reduced to a choking wreck, even as far as actually throwing up.

The worse smelling Diesels were Rovers of 45/600 vintage, they stank horribly.

Smokiest Diesels i've seen recently have been mk3 Mundanes, fist sized clumps of soot coming out the tail pipe on the motorway, lovely.

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - RichT54

When catalytic converters started being fitted to petrol engine cars, it was quite common to get the smell of rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide) from the exhaust. Not having had a petrol engine for the last 10 years I was wondering if this still happens?

I've not noticed it yet from my new petrol A3. Have they reduced the amount of sulfur in petrol and made the problem go away?

To respond to a few points raised above:

Garrett turbochargers enjoy an excellent reputation - but are expensive. I have traced many of VAG's c o c k ups over the years directly to their cost reduction strategies - injectors: Bosch -> Siemens; ABS controllers: Bosch - > Teves and I believe the turbochargers have now gone the same way to BW. A Google check on USA failures might be interesting. The consequences of these changes in component sourcing have not generally been in the best interests of their customers.

The above examples all represent high tech components in which considerable costs are incurred, with VAG having to contribute to third party organisation profits (although these organisations have done much of the development work). The temptation to find cheaper sources of supply must be hard for them to resist - especially if their trading morals do not match mine.

EGR sooting should not be a problem with ULS fuel - but it's easy enough to disconnect the charge pipe in-situ and check with a small mirror. Some spirited driving will help (hot engine only) by blowing accumulated lubricating oil out of the intercooler. I'm not in the least worried about this on my 1.9PD as it currenty pulls better than when it was new.

Three cylinder engines are a menace to engine-mounted components (alternators, starters, fuel pumps, glow plugs etc.) as they lack primary balance. These components often show shorter life spans on 3 cyl engines due to high levels of vibration. Another topic...

Edited by 659FBE on 26/04/2014 at 23:25

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - A3 A4

Great thread, I have an AVB 100hp A4, an 02 Avant with just 75k on the clock (bought it @ 45k) I have no intention of getting rid. The vehicle drives well with regular 5k oil changes,

I've never cleaned out the EGR, what are the symptoms of it being gummed up? I do occasionally get a slight hessiation at low revs, could that be the cause?

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - bazza

I always find your posts fascinating and informative 659, so thank you for taking the time. One thing I wonder is when your 1.9PD eventually wears out ( I have one too-the BXE 105 version), what will its replacement be? Will you stick with diesel for its efficiency but now-compromised with its complexity and emission controlsor will you switch to a well-engineered petrol motor from someone like Honda or Toyota perhaps? And if so, do you have any recommendations for those of us who are similarly weary of Euro5 and Euro 6 diesels?

QUOTE:...""Apart from anything else, older diesels stink. I am behind at least one or two daily.""

What's worse is a poorly tuned petrol engined banger - where you get a cocktail of exhaust fumes, burnt oil and worse, a whiff of unburnt petrol from leaky fuel system!

I can't remember the last time I got stuck behind an worn petrol engine with oil smoke - modern ones last for ages even if neglected, but the EGR systems on diesels don't.

Some I've noticed are VAG, any van (no wonder), Ford TDCi's.

Better are Toyota D4D, Honda CDTi, Volvo D5.

Actually, I've just remembered - a guy at work was driving a Mk1 petrol Micra from the eighties that smoked a bit, but I figure that has an excuse, and anyway he soon killed it, so that won't be causing an annoyance anymore :)

Thanks again for the feedback. Both my 1.9 PD 105hp and 2.0 CR 140hp are still pulling brilliantly and gives me fantastic mpg by any standarts, so I guess that's a good sign. My 1.9 PD has 128k on the clock and I bought it with 69k. It's always had oil changed at 10k and for the last ~5000 miles I only use Shell Nitro diesel and intend to do that going forward (it gives about 3% more mpg so not much extra cost). My 2.0 CR was bought at 88k and now has 90k and I'm changing oil every 9k (not 18k as per book schedule) and I only use Shell Nitro in that one as well. So I guess I might ask the garage to check EGR at next services to see if it needs attention. I try to reach 4000rpm in 2nd + 3rd each week after the oil temp has reached ~90C+ and when I do long trips (50+ miles and I think this happens regularly enough) I do this various times during such journeys. It's funny the 1.9 PD has a tendancy to blow black smoke the first time you do ~4000rpm after it's been driven slowely for a week or more, but then it dissapears quickly again.

Cheers

VAG 1.4TDi PD engine reliability vs 1.9 TDi PD - mike748

I've just come across this thread while searching for information about an EGR valve for a 2010 Skoda Fabia Greenline mk2 1.2TDI 3-cylinder. Said valve has just been diagnosed as broken (at 99000km) by my local mechanic. My question is do all the points made about the 1.4TDI 3-cylinder apply to the 1.2TDI. Would especially like to hear 659's comments.