Florida driving - barney100

We're off to Florida soon and I am a bit confused as to what insurance i need, last time they tried to sell me all sorts and I want to be clear exactly what i need. Also my brother in law reckons the 2n d driver will need some sort of form from the post office which I've never heard of , facts please!

Florida driving - Chunkie

We are off on our 24th visit to Florida in September :-)

You need CDW (Collision Damage waiver) and SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance) They should include theft insurance as part of the package, along with the various taxes. I use Netflights www.netflights.com and these insurances are included in their package. If there's going to be more than one driver, take the platinum upgrade which will include extra driver cover and a tank of fuel You take the car back empty. They may try to sell you an additional insurance but the bottom line is that it is in case you lock the keys in the car?????

The form that you brother in law is referring to was going to be an issue.

They passed a law, a couple of months back, stating that all foreign drivers needed an International Driving Permit. This even included Canadians. There was such a backlash that they resinded this law within a couple of weeks. Be assured that you do not need that IDP now. You just need both parts of the UK licence with you. i.e. the plastic card and the paper part. I've never been asked for that paper part but some have.

Have a great time and say Hi to Mickey Mouse for me :-)

Florida driving - Graham567

I went to America a couple of months back.

Firstly i still had the old style driving license with no photo.This was not a problem at all but they used my passport for photo id.

I went with Enterprise car hire and the basic insurance was included.The other two insurances were optional extras(at quite a premium per day).

All i did was took out this insurance from these guys.

www.questor-insurance.co.uk/buy-insurance/hire-car...x

The cost was £46 for the year(got a discount code!).It seemed to cover much more than Enterprises own and they seem to have good feedback.

The last thing i did before handing the car back was to take photos from all angles with the date and time stamped into the images.

I have had no comeback and found Enterprise both cheap and polite.

I have no connection with either company.I am just a happy customer!