Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz - Airbag and Seatbelt Thefts? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Now I know this alarmist story may be untrue as an Honest John search has not found it.

But a chap in our walking group has had his Honda broken into and the airbags and seatbelts were stolen in a 10 minute period. He's ended up with a £5000 insurance claim and a lengthy wait for the expensive parts to come from Japan.

This lengthy wait apparently leads tea leafs to steal the parts and presumably sell them on for dodgy repairs. He went on a bit claiming it was widespread practice and further anti theft measures were to be implemented on these parts.

What do others think about this story?

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz - Airbag and Seatbelt Thefts? - oldroverboy.

airbags and seatbelts were stolen in a 10 minute period

I for one know a few garages that coould use a couple of mechanics who were that fast. 10 minutes per seatbelt minimum and 10 minutes each minimum for the airbags, plus the time for the battery to be disconnected so there was no residual charge to activate an airbag. and £5000 of repairs to a used jazz would see it written off itself. And the damage to the internal trim?

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz - Airbag and Seatbelt Thefts? - unthrottled

Seems a lot of work for little gain. Is there a black market for seat belts?

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz - Airbag and Seatbelt Thefts? - TeeCee

You'd be amazed how fast you can remove bits from a car when:

a) You don't give a monkey's about any damage you cause to other bits.

b) You're not bothering to carefully note how it all came off for later reassembly.

Carefully removing all the plastic trim to reveal the mountings, preserving all the clips and fasteners, is what takes the time. Lever up with big screwdriver, grab and pull hard takes a couple of seconds.

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz - Airbag and Seatbelt Thefts? - madf

10 minutes?

He timed them of course?

I assume it's an estimate.. not reality.

And you said "Hoonda broken into".. Was it a Jazz? Which model.. I doubt they are interchangeable between cars..

Sounds like the story has gained in the telling..

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz - Airbag and Seatbelt Thefts? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Well I was doubtful about this. But I did speak to the alleged victim. So I now gather it is not a widespread problem.

Thanks to the responders.