Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - comfycar

I've just had to replace two good tyres on my Vectra and was then charged £79 for the tracking (which I was told to have checked every few months because the Vectra is more liable for the tracking to be put out if you hit potholes in the road etc).

This Vectra always seems to have something needing to be done to it & I've nearly spent as much in repairs as it cost me to buy two years ago. This latest bill with the tyres has got to me - (I've never had tracking prooving so sensistive in my other cars) and I want to sell it.

I know of a Mazda 626 2.0l (X Reg - year 2000) with 50k on the clock that may be available - not sure if it's called an Executive or GXi.

I would really appreciate some advice please.

Would you say that the Mazda 626 would be a better car than the Vectra?

Thank you very much for your time.

Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - RT

£79 ???

They see you coming don't they? I've just paid £38 for a full suspension alignment, using the Hunter laser system, including adjusting front toe, rear toe and rear camber.

My son has a Vectra-C, done 70,000 abused miles with no alignment done and tyres wearing evenly.

Is a change of car going to solve your problem - do you live on a particularly bad road?

Edited by RT on 19/06/2013 at 20:12

Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - comfycar

Thanks for your reply.

Yes - I've since found I could have had the tracking done cheaper.

And, yes the roads are bad in this City & have a lot potholes.

If the potholes are the problem and not oversensitive tracking on the Vectra - I get your point.

But I'm worrying about how much more the Vectra is going to cost me - and I wondered if the Mazda 626 would be more robust and not need things replacing all the timenlike this Vectra.

Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - Bobbin Threadbare

I had a Mk I Mazda 6 which is the replacement for the 626 and it was great. Very reliable and cheap to run. You do see a few 626s about so they've definitely got something going for them to be worth running at over 10 years old. I would be wary of such low mileage on a 13 year old car though - it could end up being very pricey indeed.

You could look for a Mazda 6 - you might get £900-1000 for your Vectra (depends on nick/miles etc obv) and £2k will net you a 2005-ish era Mazda 6 with average mileage if you can put some money towards it.

Oh! Do you mean, that somewhere along the line of ownership, the mileage could have been re-wound/clocked?

I did think of a Mazda 6 (thank you so much for doing the maths for me). But I was put off by the frequency of the reviews that mentioned "total and premature clutch failure". Also it has air conditioner faults that lead to engine shut-down.

Then I started rearing about Dual Mass Fly Wheels that are in modern cars and the problems & expense of those (& how they are related to the clutch)..... I'm female and motoring technology/mechanics is not my area but trying to read up on these modern cars makes my head spin and makes the choices frightening.

It's made me feel that with newer modern cars, they are rarely financially feasible to be fixed. Is this how things are going as the car gets older? I can't afford a car that's only a couple/few years old.

I'd loved this about the Mazda 6 cleared up: The reviews I've read that mention "total & premature clutch failure" and "air conditioning faults lead to engine shut down" - is this because it happens to a Mazda 6 that is a "bad one" or because of lack of proper servicing?

Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - oldtoffee
Buying 10 year old cars is a bit of a gamble. Generally speaking you can reduce the risk a number of ways by choosing a Japanese car with a petrol engine with as much service history and retained receipts as possible. Less owners the better and if you have a friend or a friend of a friend who knows about cars to get involved when you look then that would help.

The concern about low miles on the 13 year old 626 would be as much about it being driven for lots of short journeys (oil never properly warmed up) mainly in town so the engine, clutch, suspension, steering, brakes and other components could be in worse condition than a higher mileage one. There are plenty of posts here on buying used cars and lots of sound advice that you can pick up on and help you make a more informed choice.
Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - Bobbin Threadbare

I meant what oldtoffee said about lots of short runs.

My Mazda 6 was still on its original clutch when I sold it with 105k on the clock....I have never seen this clutch failure stuff mentioned; just to stay away from the diesel version because of DPF failure - the petrol ones are super.

p.s I too am female - just a car nut.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 20/06/2013 at 18:04

I understand now - low mileage looks so enticing but on a 13 year old car it takes on a different meaning.

Re: Mazda 6 cluch problems: it's mentioned in the HJ Car by Car Reviews. It's not clear if it relates to the diesel, it's just a short statement/paragraph about it. I do like the Mazda 6 and was so disaapointed reading about the clutch problems that could cost £1000 (including flywheel or maybe more).

I don't do the miles to warrant diesel, so I am looking at petrol.

Does the Mazda 6 have a Dual Mass Flywheel? Is that something that can go before the clutch or is it the clutch that affects the DMF?

I know you said your clutch was ok at 105k, but I'll be looking for an older Mazda 6 and I won't know how previous driver drove it. Just preparing myself for the worst case!

No DMF on petrols. The clutch thing is a gamble anyone who buys a second hand car takes - I bought mine at 73k so I had no idea whether the previous person had ragged the clutch. Mazda share a lot of parts with Ford too - the Mk I 6 platform is the same as the equivalent aged Mondeo and they both used the Mazda engine, so this means any replacement bits seem reasonably priced.

I really do appreciate the time people have taken to put me right so far. Such a relief!

I'm thrilled there's no DMF on the petrol Mazda 6. The Mazda Dealer didn't tell me that when I was wringing my hands with worry about the potential cost of having to replace it - he just agreed that they are expensive!

When you say "Mk 1 6" platform - do you mean the 2002-2007 Mazda 6?

Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - The Gingerous One

I'd consider a Mazda 6 petrol as well. I bought mine @ 3 yrs old (66k miles) and it got written off at 7 years old (113k miles). I had a 2.0L 2005 pre-facelift (5 spd box, Sept/Oct 2005 onwards were facelifted and had 6spd box)

No problems, serviced once a year (12.5k service intervals) and had to get the air-con recharged and tyres were 205/55R16 so very popular size, decent tyres were about £60 - 80 depending on brand etc etc.

don't expect more than about 38mpg on a run if doing 80mph.

Big boot as well.

Hope that helps.

Stu

When you say "Mk 1 6" platform - do you mean the 2002-2007 Mazda 6?

Yes. Velour upholstery and all!

Mazda 626 2.0 Executve (GXi?) - Replacing my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (2003) - gordonbennet

Low mileage including short runs doesn't mean the car is about to expire, which you could easily think judging by the hundreds of posts i have read adding fuel to this argument.

Short stop start running comes under hard or arduous use so servicing will have to reflect this. If such a car has had an annual service including oil change then its probably done 2 to 5k between changes instead of the 12 to 25k which others seem to think is fine...despite the required servicing often being 9k intervals maximum for average use.

As always there are exceptions and every car and its *seller* should be judged on its merits, i've seen high mileage cars driven by idiots who ride the clutch and thrash the living daylights out of cold engines, these high mileage cars won;t be covering 200k trouble free, nor would a barely and carefully driven car still running the same oil 5 years later.

Generally genuine Japanese petrol cars are as reliable and durable as they come, its the Diesels that need careful research, some very good some not so and some as in Mazda 6 are barge pole jobs.

**if it waddles and quacks its a duck, if the seller is a wide boy or half wit don't expect the car to be pristine carefully driven and immaculate.