Untaxed vehicles - needan
I had thought that with Anpr cameras and Sorn requirements that the days of untaxed vehicles was over. It seems to be a regular thing now to see an out of date tax disc.
I don't know if a report to the DVLA has any effect. I did pass details of 1 vehicle on to local police, the reply I received was to say that nothing could be done until the date had passed 2 months and 1 day. By then it was four months out of date anyway.
Untaxed vehicles - RT

ANPR needs a police officer who isn't on a higher priority call to stop the vehicle - have you not noticed the lack of officers?

Untaxed vehicles - daveyjp
Worth reporting. I've seen vehicles local to me clamped by DVLA and last year they had a field day in the local shopping centre car park.
Untaxed vehicles - Collos25

In my mothers city when I visit it is not unusual to see many untaxed and presumebly uninsured cars all over the place but the police are not bothered in fact they are not particularly bothered about any traffic crimes and the DVLA are as much use as a chocolate fireguard unless using a van at the side of the road.

Untaxed vehicles - bathtub tom

I get the impression police aren't interested in untaxed vehicles. I've reported them to the DVLA before now (they have internet access for this) and the offending vehicles have promptly moved.

www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/report_unlicens...x

Untaxed vehicles - unthrottled

I used to borrow my mum's tax disc on occasion-sodding ANPR scotched that wheeze sadly...

Untaxed vehicles - martint123

Both my bikes tax discs are 6 months out of date. Hasn't been a problem so far.

They are taxed, just that when I renewed, the weather was cold wet and miserable and I never got round to fitting them. Sat in my wallet at the moment.

Untaxed vehicles - alastairq

As I understood it, the DVLA have their own ANPR cameras sited on major routes...any vehicle showing as SORN, and the reg keeper gets an expensive snottogram?

Untaxed vehicles - RT

As I understood it, the DVLA have their own ANPR cameras sited on major routes...any vehicle showing as SORN, and the reg keeper gets an expensive snottogram?

Why don't the just run a program on their database and send every untaxed and unsorned vehicle keeper a snottogram.

If it's untaxed and unsorned the offence has already been committed - so just enforce it.

The problem is that many thousands of cars in UK are not registered to anybody so no address exists for them to send anything,The DVLA and the Police make no real effort to sort this problem out so the problem instead of decreasing appears to be growing.

Untaxed vehicles - RT

The problem is that many thousands of cars in UK are not registered to anybody so no address exists for them to send anything,The DVLA and the Police make no real effort to sort this problem out so the problem instead of decreasing appears to be growing.

DVLA can't do anything if the address is wrong, deliberately or otherwise - that sort can only be dealt with by ANPR and active policing.

Untaxed vehicles - SteveLee

Why don't the just run a program on their database and send every untaxed and unsorned vehicle keeper a snottogram.

If it's untaxed and unsorned the offence has already been committed - so just enforce it.

Why should it be illegal to keep an unused, untaxed, uninsured car which you paid for with your taxed income on your own property? Why should we have to inform the authorities via a SORN that we promise not to do anything illegal? Why are we guilty until proven innocent? By all means come down hard on people doing wrong - but as usual, accoutable, tracable people end up getting fined for failing to fill in a form while the illigal drivers carry on doing what they do regardless.

Yep thats the system in the UK always a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Untaxed vehicles - RT
Why should it be illegal to keep an unused, untaxed, uninsured car which you paid for with your taxed income on your own property? Why should we have to inform the authorities via a SORN that we promise not to do anything illegal? Why are we guilty until proven innocent? By all means come down hard on people doing wrong - but as usual, accoutable, tracable people end up getting fined for failing to fill in a form while the illigal drivers carry on doing what they do regardless.

Your reluctantance to complete a simple SORN notification on some sort of freedom pretence is unhelpful in tracking and punishing those who use an untaxed or uninsured car on the road - do you have any helpful suggestions?

You could get anybody in Bradford with a handheld computer and unlimited tow trucks they would make a years wages in a day in fines plus take thousands of cars of the road but the police are not at all intersted so whats the solution I wish I knew .I know here in Germany you could not get away with it but I suppose we have a much different system and of course police on the streets.

Untaxed vehicles - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:....""They are taxed, just that when I renewed, the weather was cold wet and miserable and I never got round to fitting them. Sat in my wallet at the moment.""

It is an offence not to DISPLAY the tax disc. I don't know about bikes, but on a car it is even an offence to display it incorrectly - it must be on the bottom nearside corner of the windscreen.

Untaxed vehicles - RT

QUOTE:....""They are taxed, just that when I renewed, the weather was cold wet and miserable and I never got round to fitting them. Sat in my wallet at the moment.""

It is an offence not to DISPLAY the tax disc. I don't know about bikes, but on a car it is even an offence to display it incorrectly - it must be on the bottom nearside corner of the windscreen.

The offence of non-display probably only occurs on public highway - if they're kept off-road it's no issue if they have been taxed.

Untaxed vehicles - alastairq

Not strictly true....?

Whilst correct for the most part, there is an exception to the SORN rule.

If a vehicle was off-the-road prior to the SORN rules first coming into force, even though a V5c has subsequently been issued [to show a change of keeper, for example].... there is still no requirement to SORN [each year..]....that vehicel, until such time as it has VED applied-for. If subsequently then taken 'off-the-road', it will need a SORN declaration each year from then on.

I think the biggest problem currently is the continuous insurnace thing?

I have heard of folks getting caught-out with this, when buying or selling vehicles...where, what we used to do without thought [and legally] can no longer be done.

Untaxed vehicles - foxmoth

We had a pick up truck parked in a nearby road from November until March, I happened to notice that the tax disc was not displayed. I am aware that the DVLC has a web site that allows you to notify it of this, which I did immediatly giving its exact location. it was moved within three days. Good work.