Any - BMW vs AUDI - Mr Fox

Well I had to come and give you all an update....

Was about to order an Audi Q5, but they were such a bunch of buffooons that I didn't and I've ordered a 5 Series Touring instead, the list of faux pas comitted by the idiots at xxxx, could fill an entire gigabyte of data that we don't need to put on Honest John's lovely website.

I had a bad experience of BMW when a 100K miles 3 series coupe on our fleet, shat its timing chain onto the floor 100 miles after a service. I was quite prepared to bar BMW form any future business.

Audi has not covered itself in glory either, we had 2 A4 cars completely immobilised by shearing of the oil pump drive, one decorated the floor in the middle of a roadworks on the M 25.

So I made an appointment to test drive a Q5, the guy called me several times to confirm it, only to call me again at 19.30 on the evening before I had planned to go in, to say he was on a training course and could I reschedule it ? er no. and when I went in, they had no record or demonstrator available, and could only let me take a 10 minute spin round the block in a 4 year old car.

Next thing is even more laughable, they gave me details of the dealer in Chesterfield, and said they have a demonstrator I could borrow, so I duly arranged it, and as I was travelling back from France on the train, on the alloted day I got off in Chesterfield and got a taxi to the dealership, picked up the car and went off. before I had left the guy clearly told me he would give me a lift back to Sheffield when I dropped it off.

Lo and behold, when I took it back, he was too busy...

Luckily we have a factory located nearby and I was able to get a lift back home.

The point of this rant is to say that AUDI dealers are completely awful to deal with, whereas BMW seem to have much better people who keep their promises and know how to ensure their prospective customers are looked after.

I have a VW now and have not had any issues, its just time to change, I hope AUDI start to recede from their position in the UK

Edited by Avant on 12/06/2013 at 00:23

Any - BMW vs AUDI - Avant

Just to remind people - it's OK to name a dealer if you are just recording facts, but Mr Fox, whose annoyance is understandable, has gone a bit further that we can afford to go on a publc forum with a named dealer. There's a sticky thread above which explains our policy.

Any - BMW vs AUDI - veryoldbear

Don't have either. There are too many mugs buying these over-hyped rep-mobiles anyway. There are plenty of perfectly decent alternatives.

I am just quoting facts, nobody can argue with them.

both BMW and AUDI dealers are still better than most of the mass market morass, but offeiring me a lift and then being "too busy" is a sure fire way of losing a customer. the BMW is a better car for what I want, and for all of the above I chose it.

Audi must do better, not trade on their demand in China to justify long lead times.

Any - BMW vs AUDI - Collos25

If you think that BMW and Audi are anything but mass markez producers I would advice takeing your head out of the sand.

If you think that BMW and Audi are anything but mass markez producers I would advice takeing your head out of the sand.

Hello Nice of you to comment !

Well of course I know they are Mass Market producers, but they are catering for a more upmarket customer base.

What I meant was compared to the kind of can't be bothered atitude of the dealers I have encountered in Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Vauxhall showrooms over the years. BMW was very professional, Audi on the other hand, still clearly have some way to go. Although they used to be better before being taken over by the dead hand of a big chain.

Edited by Avant on 14/06/2013 at 00:34

Any - BMW vs AUDI - Ordovices
I suspect the the scale of the dealership is as much to blame as the marque.

I have bought three Hyundais from a family run business, and they could not have been more helpful.

Admittedly Hyundai are (were) not an upmarket make, but the cam chains, belts and oil pump drives stayed exactly where they were put and in the same state as they were put there.

Do BMW and Audi not have smaller independant dealers?
Any - BMW vs AUDI - balleballe

The best dealers in the business are Lexus. This has been proven year upon year

Any - BMW vs AUDI - Collos25

I would preface that with " In your opinion" it certainl isn`t mine.

As far as BMW and Audi are looking at different customers if you look at the price list there is great deal of difference between any of the marks.Here in Germany a 3 series is thought of no better than a Insignia or equivelent Toyota,Mainstream Audis are just rebadged Skodas with about as much charisma as a brick and there has been so much trouble with BMW timing chains they are best left alone for the private buyer.Oh and by the way I own a Bmw 5 series as well as a new VW and my son has a newish BMW 3 series coupe.

I would preface that with " In your opinion" it certainl isn`t mine.

As far as BMW and Audi are looking at different customers if you look at the price list there is great deal of difference between any of the marks.Here in Germany a 3 series is thought of no better than a Insignia or equivelent Toyota,Mainstream Audis are just rebadged Skodas with about as much charisma as a brick and there has been so much trouble with BMW timing chains they are best left alone for the private buyer.Oh and by the way I own a Bmw 5 series as well as a new VW and my son has a newish BMW 3 series coupe.

Well in the end, the way that cars are sold, via franchised dealers, that are generally variable and not particularly customer focussed, ( except in notable instances already covered ) is very outdated, and is ripe for being overhauled. Sometimes you have to buy a new car and why should it be such a minefield, compared to buying a fridge or a TV. The dealers are fully intent on fleecing you, undervaluing the PX vehicle and loading up mis-sold warranties, paint protection etc, on top of the finance deals that are all just a con. No other way to describe it.

So how can we simplify this ? Why can't we deal direct with the manufacturer ? Until these awful grasping dealers can be brought into line, it will always be a nightmare.

Any - BMW vs AUDI - unthrottled

Sometimes you have to buy a new car and why should it be such a minefield, compared to buying a fridge or a TV.

Um...because a fridge or TV costs only a few hundred pounds and new cars are upwards of 10 grand?

The dealers are fully intent on fleecing you, undervaluing the PX vehicle and loading up mis-sold warranties, paint protection etc, on top of the finance deals that are all just a con. No other way to describe it.

They don't want your P/ex. If you don't like the offered price, sell privately. If you want the convenience of p/ex, you have to pay for the service. White goods retailers will try to flog unnecesary insurance-you're not under any obligation to take it!

Any - BMW vs AUDI - gordonbennet

Sometimes you have to buy a new car and why should it be such a minefield, compared to buying a fridge or a TV.

Fridges just as much a minefield but generally the simple answer is...buy cheap buy again soon, same goes for washing machines and other white goods, thats fine for people who like shiny new paintwork regularly but not for those of us who want things to last.

Cars are infinitely variable, the right badge and a high price doesn't mean it will last any longer or be any more reliable, but it might impress peers enough to warrant the cost for some.

Invariably a high price means high (read expensive) overall running/repair costs, possibly due to clever marketing luring people into a false sense of security with the minimal servicing requirements, the two makers here are well into this.

How many people try to justify spending £thousands to gain a claimed extra 10mpg, nothing wrong with buying anything if you want and can afford it, but be honest with self the reasons why.

Any - BMW vs AUDI - Bycro
I like Seat and Skoda cars, I think that they are as good as over rated premier brands. The new Octavia looks very nice. My Seat dealer is excellent. Can't fault them.Collect the car for servicing from the office and always return it fully valeted.
Any - BMW vs AUDI - Avant

Quite. They have the same mechanicals, and more of their dealers are family-owned businesses.