Vauxhall Astra 1.4 - Rejection of 2 year old Astra 1.4 - crooky1967

Purchased a 2 year old Astra from a franchise dealer in Warrington. Had problems with indicators which I tool to a local dealer to fix but also had a problem with spluttering/misfiring after the car warmed up after approx 25 - 30 mins, this also resulted in the engine warning light flashing as well. Got it booked in to the local dealer who failed to fix the issue and in the meantime I wrote to the dealer I purchased it from stating that it was going in and if it wasn't fixed then I woudl reject it. Low and behold it wasn't fixed and therefore I rejected the vehicle in writing after less than 3 weeks of buying it.

The fault only appeared when I started to drive after 25 mins as I had only done short trips up to that point. Only when I started a new job with longer commute times it becamae apparent. It was a bit sluggish comming out of the M6 toll when I collected it but once up to motoray speed seemed OK.

The dealer stated it was down to me to get the car back to where I purchased it, 200 miles away, which I said I would do if they paid for it to get there. I was happy for them to fix it and I would cover the cost of collecting or they were given the option of getting a local dealer to fix it. They were not happy doing this so I ended up rejecting the vehicle as I believe the car had the fault when they sold it to me.

They have now rejected my rejection without confirming what other action to take. As I paid on direct debit card I may be able to claim back through my bank due to faulky goods or I can go through the county court.

I am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what would be the best course of action and the qucikest means of getting my money back 7k. I have an AA report stating the car has a serious issue. I have purchased another car now so to have this now repaired or replaced is not an option.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 - Rejection of 2 year old Astra 1.4 - RT

So the selling dealer has had no chance to inspect or repair the car themselves ?

You have to give them that chance - the fact that you bought from a dealer 200 miles away is your problem, not theirs.

Edited by RT on 03/06/2013 at 15:13

Yes I have stated that I would send it back but claim back the cost. Citizens advice have also confirmed to me that consumers should not be responsible for the return of faulty goods.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 - Rejection of 2 year old Astra 1.4 - RT

Under SoGA legislation, products and services are categorised into portable and fixed - cars are defined as portable - unless you bought the car under distance selling regulations.

The dealer would only be liable for your delivery costs after they've accepted rejection, not before inspection - if you take them to small claims court your delivery costs can be added to your claim.

Edited by RT on 03/06/2013 at 22:29

OK thanks for the advice, this makes things a bit clearer.