Renault Clio I Petrol - Run out of petrol. Won't start after refuel. - avaster

I have an old car. Utterly reliable and almost uncomplicated to keep running. Clio 1.2. Petrol. D series engine, multipoint injection.

My usual petrol station strangely closed, I thought I'd risk it another few miles to the next 24hr place. The engine cut out a few hundred yds short of it. I walked the rest. Bought 5 ltres in a plastic can and went back to the car. But it won't start with the the fuel in the tank.

A friend tows me home. What a diamond geezer! Next day in the daylight, I put in another 5 litres to make sure there enough to prime the pump. I check the pump is running by bridging the relay. I can hear the fuel running. Check all the fuses. Checked the inertia cut out switch. Confirmed I have a spark. Plugs wet with fuel after turning it over in vain. Checked all the obvious HT and LT connections and the injector wiring connection. I haven't yet broken the petrol line to check pressure but I'm running out of things to check.

It used to fire the instant you turned the key. It has occurred to me that maybe another fault has suddenly occurred just before I ran out of fuel, and I'm looking in the wrong place. But hell, I don't understand it. I've got fuel and a spark, and unless the timing has suddenly gone off, how the hell does it not go.

I'd love any advice or tips.

Renault Clio I Petrol - Run out of petrol. Won't start after refuel. - avaster

It's OK. I've found out what the problem is. The cam belt has broken. There's a new one in the boot that I'd been meaning to renew the cam belt with. Leaving it in the boot obviously isn't as effective as putting it on the engine.

I wonder how much damage there is. Is this curtains for the Clio? Papa !

Renault Clio I Petrol - Run out of petrol. Won't start after refuel. - dadbif
Have you flooded it? Crank it over with your foot may to the floor, release the pedal and try again.
Too much fuel is as bad as too little