stopping on a single lane - Vic10

i was at my son's school this morning. There are yellow keep clear signs in front of the school. Beyond the signs the road tapers into a single lane and there are white solid lines on both sides of the road. I stopped on the white solid line for about 20 seconds to let my wife out and there was no other traffic I was holding up. A policeman appeared and was quite aggressive and thretened me he was going to issue me a ticket for stopping on a white line and a single lane and asked me "dont you read the highway code" I had a look at highway code and cannot find anything to say one should not stop in a single lane. Advice

Edited by Vic10 on 23/05/2013 at 12:25

stopping on a single lane - RT

It's covered by the offence of "causing an obstruction" as stopping to unload in a single lane undoubtedly is.

The officer's reference to the Highway Code is wrong as a single white line simply indicates edge marking - even yellow lines permit loading/unloading unless there's additional restrictions.

stopping on a single lane - Bromptonaut

As RT says, causing an obstruction.

Similar issue at local railway station where people who cannot be bothered using the proper pick up/set down arrangement just stop and drop.

stopping on a single lane - Dwight Van Driver

Traffic Signs General Directions Sign Diagram 1012 - Edge of carriageway other than junctions, exits from private drives and laybys

- a reminder to consider your position if you are thinking of parking and which could , as stated above, be used in an obstruction charge. Other than that no offence unlihe a yellow or double central white line.

dvd.

stopping on a single lane - 1litregolfeater

car was broken down and you were unable to move it, while taking all measures to ensure that it was moved as quickly as possible.

stopping on a single lane - RT

car was broken down and you were unable to move it, while taking all measures to ensure that it was moved as quickly as possible.

Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice would be applicable - the police officer was already on scene and witnessed the passenger being dropped off.

Sensibly dealt with by a verbal warning.