Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - herewego
I am learning to drive - fairly late at 30+ - and hopefully will get my licence reasonably soon and be in a position to buy a used car.

I don't anticipate doing a very high mileage (I cycle to work) - the car will be used mainly at weekends for shopping trips/days out/visits to family (across the Pennines and back) and the occasional holiday. Most of the time it will be just myself and my 8yo daughter so prob don't require an especially large car. However I anticipate moving my parents around more as they get older and it would be a plus to have something that can carry a road bike in the back.

I will have a reasonable budget (up to 10-12k if needed) but I'm not sure if I will be in a position to spend wisely as a new driver. As you can tell I'm not quite sure what type of car I want, but I'm also wondering if I'll be well placed to test drive cars with very little experience.

So, my question: is there any sense in buying something cheap while I get the hang of driving/reverse into bollards/get a sense of what I might want from a more expensive car? Can I get six months trouble free (and safe-ish) driving from a (say) £500 car? How much would buying and selling such a car cost me?

Thanks for any advice.
Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - gordonbennet

Exactly what i would do in your circumstances, get a year or two no claims and some experience on something cheap and then decide...though bangernomics can be addictive, its nice not watching your purchase devalue overnight, whilst smugly seeing your neigbours £20k quality German made 'investment' lose half its value in 3 years and cost a fortune to repair the week after its warranty expires.

Insurance isn't going to be such a headache as it is for most new drivers cos you're getting on a bit now..;)

I'd be inclined to pick up something unfashionable and probably Korean, older Hyundai or Kia or Chevrolet nee Daewoo, or if you can find one that hasn't been round the clock 3 times an older Toyota or Honda.

If my hopes for insurance are right you could pick yourself up a tidy older Corol/a/Avensis/Mazda 626 or something similar size from Japan or Korea (or even Japanese badged made in England) which tend to be out of the league of most new drivers, and unwanted by many as they are presumed heavy on fuel...and a bit old fashioned for the new age.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/05/2013 at 21:56

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - Alby Back

I might be tempted to suggest something older but larger than a supermini. If you get used to something more "grown up" from day one you'll never feel intimidated by the notion of driving larger cars and you'll be able to get grandparents, child, shopping and bike in it all at the same time if required. Bigger generally equals safer too if you do have an occasional bollard chance encounter.

Once you've got over your probation/induction period, a year or two will make a huge difference to your confidence and skill, you might think of something like a Qashqai. Plenty of room for kit and people, very reliable and economical if you avoid the 2.0 petrol engine, and a good NCAP rating.

Good luck with it all !

Edited by Alby Back on 18/05/2013 at 22:08

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - Bobbin Threadbare

If it were me, I'd run something medium-sized and medium-engined for 1-2 years to get the NCD....Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Honda Civic-esque bought for say, £2-3k. Not too small, and having done just that with a 1.6l Focus you can then happily drive anything of any size for manoeuvres/parking and any larger engines won't seem too powerful in future.

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - Alby Back

Good advice BT. My wife passed her test on an old style Mini but as soon as she had, as in the following day, she was given the task of doing the branch deliveries for the chain of shops she worked for in an old RWD Transit van. She admits that it was at first daunting but that she soon got the hang of it and by force of necessity got used to throwing it about busy town centres, parking it in tight spaces on the mirrors, sliding it about in bad weather etc.

Years later, she has no fear or problems driving/parking any car.

Thanks for the advice - I will look into all your suggestions.

Gordonbennet, youre right in that insurance isn't too much of a worry - I ran a quote for a newish Ford Focus yesterday to get a feel for costs and it looked bearable. I'm not **that** old yet, but clearly old enough for reasonable insurance costs - and getting too old to keep admitting I can't drive :(

The bangernomics thing doesn't appeal greatly to me (the threat of unreliability and the attraction of something shinier!) but I'm reassured that its probably worth spending some time in an older/cheaper car if it saves me from buyers remorse - I don't really want to be changing cars all that often so I want to get it right when I do buy something newer.

While I can fit in a supermini (lessons in a fiesta) I am quite tall so someone of any size behind me might be a bit squashed (and when she goes by car my daughter suffers much less from travel sickness if she's up front, so any other passengers might have to go in the back). For that reason and those Alby and Bobbin suggest it looks like something mid-sized might be a good place to start.

Thanks again!

Edited by herewego on 18/05/2013 at 23:50

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - daveyK_UK

A recent observation from a collegue who works in insurance, was older cars generally are dearer to insure than modern cars even if you only want 3rd party insurance.

Theres a lots of reasons for this approach from insurance companies

from older cars generally being less safe, thus more chance of an injury to the vehicle occupant

to a general rule that older cars are more risky as the maintenance tends to suffer as their value hits a certain level.

A case in point.

Her 30 year old daughter,living in a major city with 0 (no) no claims.

ford fiesta 51 plate - £1,420

dacia sandero brand new mid spec - £710

and it is not unique to the sandero, she had slightly more expensive quotes from a corsa, up, fabia, etc all brand new.

And yet, the fiesta is worth £500 the sandero costs £6,600.

I fully understand the logic that an old car worth £500 insured 3rd party should pose less of a risk to an insurer, but thats not how they see it.

Thanks davey

Just re-ran the insurance quote to compare and you're right, the older car was a little more expensive for me to insure. These were my cheapest quotes (both same company):

2005 ford focus zetec £680
2011 ford focus zetec £630

Obviously just one example but its useful to know insurance prices can be higher with less valuable cars: it's not what I'd have instinctively expected but the rationale makes sense. Also I need to read up/think about the safety differences of different aged cars

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - unthrottled

2005 ford focus zetec £680
2011 ford focus zetec £630

It's fifty quid. The difference in depreciation between the 2011 and 2005 model will be an order of magnitude larger. The 2005 model is cheaper to run-by a long way. That's in year one. Assuming you successfully get through the first year without claiming, then you'll get about a 30% discount so the £50 difference becomes £35.

Don't fall into the trap of being penny wise and pound foolish! Tyre-kickers will always try to convince themselves that buying a new car will save them money.-it rarely does. You buy a new car as a treat and write off the capital cost.

Since you don't need the car to get to work, reliability isn't the big issue it is for some. With an old car you replace the parts that wear out. With a new car you replace the 99% of the parts that are perfectly fine.

You're likely to make a few mistakes in your first year. You'll get flustered and miss a few gear changes, crunch reverse gear, clip a few kerbs while rushing parallel parking etc etc. This is upsetting in a shiny new car; in an old car you smile wryly and carry on.

Your first instinct is right: stick to it!

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - madf

00 the sandero costs £6,600.

I fully understand the logic that an old car worth £500 insured 3rd party should pose less of a risk to an insurer, but thats not how they see it.

No your logic is incorrect.

The risk is of damage to other cars.. So the insurer thinks:

old car

not much money to lose if it crashes

so does not care if it crashes

skimps on maintenance.

Perfectly logical . and correct.

The risk is if a £500 car hits and damages a £30k Auid or BMW: the repair costs could easily top £10k.

Hence the premiums reflect the perceived attitude of banger drivers...largely I suspect bourne out by results...

Edited by madf on 20/05/2013 at 10:59

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - Avant

Picking up the point about your being tall, the Honda Civic (old-shape, 2001-2006) suggests itself. It has a huge amount of legroom in the back even with a tall driver. The current shape was in may people's opinion a step backwards as its rear visibility is so bad as to be potentially dangerous.

The Honda Jazz is also practical, reliable and roomy for its size, if you don't mind the elderly, Bunty-doing-the-church-flowers image.

The Toyota Corolla / Auris is a little less roomy but they, like other Toyotas have a very good name for being reliable even when old.

In all cases go for a petrol engine.

Good luck, and do tell us how you get on. There are lots of other possibilities, but Japanese cars as well as being reliable are usually light and easy to drive, which will suit you as you gain experience.

@unthrottled
@avant

thanks both
Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - daveyK_UK

You could always insure a classic 3rd party.

It tends to be cheap.

Any - New driver: worth driving something cheap first? - milky82
Your position doesn't seem too dissimilar to mine, I passed my test a couple of years ago aged 29 and resisted the urge to buy something fancy as a first car, 2 weeks after passing my test I misjudged a reverse and scraped the rear drivers side door leaving a small but noticeable dent. My car was an 05 Astra, hardly a banger but not the shiny new car that i could have damaged. If I had gone for something newer I would have been gutted. No matter how confident you are there is always the chance of these mistakes happening in the first year or so of driving until you get comfortable. The other thing to consider is that after 2 years I've upgraded to a 3 yr old Honda Civic and it's like a different world, that feeling of trading up after a couple of years can't be beaten! Good luck in your search.