Audi 80 1.6td - RPM sensor - macs_lad

Hi could anyone tell me where the tachometer sensor is located on the 1.6td model.

My car was originally fitted with the large analog clock next to the speedo, but I like rev counters, so I fitted one taken from a 1.9tdi but it is not working. I am assuming that being fitted with the clock, there won't be a sensor fitted on this car. I have heard all sorts of ideas where it might be located like, engine block under the oil filter (not there) somewhere on the bell housing (not there) on top of the timing belt cover,or even driven by the alternator but I can't find where it should be fitted. I would appreciate any help Thanks. Ken

Audi 80 1.6td - RPM sensor - A3 A4

Near the base of the oil dipstick tube?

Edited by A3 A4 on 29/04/2013 at 10:40

Audi 80 1.6td - RPM sensor - jc2

Most modern cars take engine speed signal from the ECU which gets its signal usually from the crankshaft sensor.

Thanks for that, can't see a plugged hole where it might go in that area, just the engine mounting plate, although there is a two pin plug on a cable lurking in that area tied up with a zip tie.

Audi 80 1.6td - RPM sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

How many wires on the alternator,and what colour are they?

How many wires on the alternator,and what colour are they?

There is a thick black cable to the alternator, with two others in the same loom, one blue which is connected to a spade terminal on the back of the alternator and one green wire with a spade hanging loose. I can't actually a spare connector for the green one as it is right under the turbo, and difficult to see

Audi 80 1.6td - RPM sensor - 659FBE

Most Teutonic vehicles of that vintage use an AC feed from the alternator to sense engine speed, designated terminal "W".

Later vehicles with electronic engine governing derive a speed signal from an engine mounted probe (preferably adjacent to the flywheel) and the ECU provides the tacho drive signal.

Terminal "W" is connected to one alternator phase.

Audi 80 1.6td - RPM sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

Blue wire is the batt/charge warning light .The green wire is the W phase terminal wire for a tacho.Is there a vacant connector on the alternator/

Blue wire is the batt/charge warning light .The green wire is the W phase terminal wire for a tacho.Is there a vacant connector on the alternator/

Don't know, I'll have look when I get a chance Thanks