Peugeot 206 - Peugeot 206 gear change problem - ianzdad

Sorry for the long post - I'm trying to solve a problem that has been on-going for more than 2 years and has not been solved by 3 garages in different parts of Britain! Any help appreciated. Nothing I can find on various forums has answered the problem.

2 years ago my daughter's 206 became difficult to put into gear. A new clutch was fitted and the problem seemed to be solved. The clutch bearing had disintegrated but the whole clutch was changed to save going back in to replace the clutch at a later date. The mechanic who fitted the clutch checked the auto adjust clutch cable and said it was fully serviceable.

Within a year, the same problem arose - couldn't get the car into gear so the AA towed the car to a garage in Uxbridge who replaced the clutch cable - problem seemed to be solved.

A month or so ago (a year after the clutch cable had last been replaced) the same problem arose - breakdown service towed the car to a garage in Glasgow who replaced the clutch, guide, fork and clutch cable. Problem seemed to be solved but as she drove the car from Glasgow to my home in Hereford, the problem came back. She managed to get the car onto my driveway where it has sat for the past few weeks.

The gear linkages seemed to be a bit loose so I bought a new set and put them on - no improvement. I took every part of the gear linkage system from the gear stick to the gear box apart, cleaned the joints, added lots of new grease - the gear stick is much less floppy, but it can still be difficult to get into gear. I bought another clutch cable from the local Peugeot dealer (which was different to the one the Glasgow mechanic had put on) and put that on the car - no difference.

It is difficult (sometimes impossible) to select some gears - it doesn't seem to make any difference if the engine is running or not. With the engine not running - clutch up or down doesn't make any difference. I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic and I'm reluctant to take it to another mechanic who will blame the last 3 and replace all of the new parts (again).

To me the problem seems to logically lie with the gear box - the only part of the chain that has not been changed since the problem started, but several people, including those I have bought parts from say this is unlikely to be the cause.

Apart from this problem this is a nice 206 that the original owner bought with all bells and whistles. It's too nice a car to scrap, and I'd like to get it back on the road soon if possible. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Peugeot 206 - Peugeot 206 gear change problem - Peter.N.

If the problem is being caused by the clutch not disengaging properly you will have difficulty getting it into reverse with the engine running but not without - assuming reverse doesn't have synchro, but it shouldn't affect gear engagment with the engine off. Have you checked the gearbox oil level?

Thanks for this suggestion, Peter. I checked the gear box oil level and it is correct

Peugeot 206 - Peugeot 206 gear change problem - Peter.N.

OK, at approximately what point in the pedal travel does the clutch disengage?

The biting point of the clutch is about an inch or so from the floor. With the engine running, with clutch up and car in neutral there is a noise from the engine compartment - this does not happen if the car is in gear and moving.

If it is in gear it drives normally sometimes, biting point seems normal, clutch appears to work OK and you can change gear easily, other times it refuses to find the gear - no crunching or noise, just solid resistance (as if trying to find a gear in the space between 1st and 3rd). For example, this evening I backed it out of the parking space - no prob with reverse - but it wouldn't go into first - went into 2nd then back first no problem. Once moving it woudln't go into second from first. Next time I tried, 1st and 2nd was OK but reverse was difficult - but not impossible!

The clutch fork lever moves slightly more than the recommended 24mm minimum at the cable end

Edited by ianzdad on 18/04/2013 at 21:06

Peugeot 206 - Peugeot 206 gear change problem - choonsta

I'm new here. Hello to everyone.

Sorry to hear of the problem you've had. I wonder if this has come too late for you.

I've had very similar problems like your and I've only solved it a week ago.

My 206 GTi has a hydraulic clutch instead of cables but the principle is the same.

I thought I was going insane trying to solve the problem similar to yours.

Cut a long story short, what gear box oil do you use?

Drain/Flush out the existing oil and fill with Esso/Total 75W/80 GL4 Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). Free delivery and cheap from MicksGarage online.

I've tried Penrite 75W/80 MTF, Castrol Syntrax 75W/90, Castrol VMX 80 (75W/80),

Fuch Sintofluid 75W/80 MTF. They ALL do not work well. Course feel in gear changes
like sand paper. With Penrite oil, I had trouble getting 1st gear and Reverse gear.

The problem occurs most when engine is cold and viscosity of oil is incompatible.

The problem went away when I found an MTF that has similar viscosity to Total 75W/80 MTF. The oil I used was Nulon 75W/80 GL4 MTF (from Australia). It's easy just to get the Esso/Total Oil (I had difficulty sourcing this oil)

Re viscosity, look into detail specification of Esso/Total MTF and the Nulon MTF
at 40C and 100C. They are close, that's why my problematic gear change went away.

None of the other MTF oil I tried (even though 75W/80 rating was specified)
have viscosity that was compatible to the 206 manual gearbox.
Peugeot specified Esso/Total 75w/80 GL4 for a reason.

Good Luck.

Edited by Avant on 03/10/2014 at 22:34