Ford Focus - Best car to buy? - ben1191

Looking to buy a 5door car around £4000,mostly used for school runs and driving to work but occasional family days out as our current car gets 15-20mpg (lol).Needs to be a Diesel with good space and safety.

So far the best car seems to be the focus,but ive read alot on the turbo problems with the 1.6tdci peugeot engines in them which were the engines we were looking at because i can also be insured on it as im 19 and insurance quotes arnt too bad.

Focus seems to win on MPG,space speed price looks and just about everything,the car will come from a dealer with a 3 month warranty although not a ford dealer,is this really just a bad choice of car,as its to my understanding that the focus was the best selling car in britain so common faults are more often talked about than other cars.

Is it innevitable that the turbo and dpf filter will go,or is it one of those cars where you can just get unlucky and buy a bad one,as we have a Mercedes M class thats apparently plagued with a tonne of common faults but nothings ever gone wrong in the 7 years we've owned it

Could anybody reccomend another car?the Audi a3 is nice but sadly out of price range.

Edited by ben1191 on 13/04/2013 at 19:03

Ford Focus - Best car to buy? - Avant

Are you sure you need a diesel? Older diesels can need expensive repairs which negate the fuel saving. A VW Golf or Skoda Octavia are alternatives to a Focus, the Octavia being roomier and cheaper than a Golf and less of a squash after your M-class.

If you must have a diesel the 1.9 TDI engine in the Golf and Octavia has a better reputation for reliability than the 2.0 TDI.

cant really get a decent golf for £4k theyre all mk4 shape and are smaller inside.Skoda octavia arnt to my taste either.

Would also like to add that the cars im looking at are 1 previous owner with around 80k done which isnt much for a diesel,i can do most repairs myself unless computers are required