Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - dippydebz
Purchased a c70 3 weeks ago....2nd time battery has drained. The first was on the day i was scheduled to pick it up, but they put a new battery on and said it would be ok..went to drive her today and no battery..She is in for analysis (again). Does anyone know what my rights are..I have spoken to citizens advice and they quoted an act dating back to supply of goods act 1973..
But the finance company are saying they do not recognise this act...I have lost complete confidence in the car and would prefer not to pay out over next 4 years on a car that has a 3 month warrant and a recurring fault..what happens after the warranty has expired and fault comes back!!!

Please help..
Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - 72 dudes

It's the SALE of goods acts - basically the item has to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose, with repsect to age and mileage. The dealer has to prove that the fault was NOT there at time of purchase.

However......It's probably a minor problem causing the battery drain, probably a module from the radio/CD or Bluetooth if you have it, not shutting down properly when you switch off and lock up.

Was it bought from a Volvo dealer? Was it a Volvo Selekt approved used car?

I would advise letting them have another attempt at repairing it. If this fails to solve the problem, you could in theory invoke SOGA and demand a refund, your claim would be on the basis that the car is not fit for purpose as it is, and you have given them two chances to repair it.

Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - dippydebz
Not bought from dealer...it was purchased from Stradstone a jaguar dealership...and it does have all the Bluetooth, sat nav and iPod compatibility. My worry is that they only give a 3 month warranty...it seems to happen every time the car is not used over a period of time...(3days or more)

Thank you so much for you help :0)
Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - Collos25

Forget the 3 months its meaningless you are covered as stated above by SOGA and no amount of waffle from the selling agents can change that.As for the finance company not reconising the act I think you must have misheard or they are not a proper company its an act of parliament you have to accept it.

Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - pd

If the dealer is being co-operative and trying to solve it I'd let them get on with it before getting all arsy and quoting the SoGA at them which may mean they decide to just do what is required under it which is probably less than you are currently getting.

Only look into the SoGA if you reach an impass where they can't fix the car and won't do anything further to help you.

For the time being I'd just firmly but politely request them to ensure it is fixed and ask for a loan car whilst they are doing so.

Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - jacks

If it is a new battery and it still goes flat, either it's not charging properly (which should be easy for them to find and fix) or something is draining the battery - perhaps a boot light or something is on permanently due to a faulty or sticking switch?

If you are leaving the car unused for a couple of days make sure everything is switched off at source before turning off the ignition,rather than just pulling the key out

Probably something simple - don't panic let the dealer sort it , a bit OTT to talk about rejecting the car or invoking SOGA just yet.

J

Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - pd

I've got a vague memory that there were some software updates for the C70 due to the roof mechanism not switching off completely and draining the battery.

If your supplying Jaguar dealer can't solve it I'd press them to get it into a Volvo dealer (which they have probably got in the same dealer group) and check there isn't a technical service bulletin for it.

Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - barney100

Seems like a minor electrical fault, an auto electrician should sort it out pretty easily.

Volvo c70 - Returning faulty car to dealership - craig-pd130

As alluded to above, the fault was obviously present at the time of purchase (they had to put a new battery in before you could drive it away) so the onus is on them to fix it.

Politely but firmly remind them that you'd like the problem solving and give them a chance to do so ... if they fail to do so or start to get recalcitrant, that's the time to get serious with them.