MX5 sillyness - dohc
Anyone know of a sensibly priced MX5 in the Midlands area? There seem to be a lot about but all those I've seen are rubbish.

MX5 sillyness - clariman
Try www.fish4.co.uk and then select "Cars" - select region and make and model etc.

May give a reasonable selection.
MX5 sillyness - puntoo
try a japanese import, www.samgoodwin.com/ if you dont mind second hand.
MX5 sillyness - DavidHM
The Great Trade Centre in NW London has a high-ish miles, 00X 1.6 for £8495, or thereabouts. I think it had about 60k on it, which is a hell of a lot for an MX5, but it would make a perfect second car to keep for a long time as it was in good condition. The spec was awful though; it was black or dark green and had steel wheels, but at that money it has to be a better bet than a tarted up, 10 year old Japanese import.
MX5 sillyness - DPM
Sorry me again. Just read DavidHM's post. Seems I should've described my car as a "tarted up, 10 year old import." D'oh! Pity, really. I imported mine when the whole import game had just kicked off, and the imports were nice cars. The importers are now down to the dregs, hence knocking the values of all other imports. Oh well, c'est la vie.
MX5 sillyness - Tomo
"The importers are now down to the dregs, hence knocking the values of all other imports. Oh well, c'est la vie."

That may be true of some importers, but all the more advantage to be got from the nice cars which still come up, often better than UK spec, as the conditions in Japan which make them available (highly expensive three year statutary refurbs whether needed or not and the lack of face in having a car other than nearly new) still apply. I'd have had to look far for a 12,000 mile UK Supra (my Toyota agent agrees with the figure) and paid through the nose.

Suspect the too cheap of course, and get a proper inspection as with anything second hand; but do not let prejudice make you miss a good one.

Cheers,
Tomo
MX5 sillyness - dohc
Too far way from the Midlands to be tempting. Colour's OK and I don't mind steel wheels but at that price for 60k, I won't bother. I do 30,000 a year on various vehicles and would want to do 12 to 15 k in the MX.
I get nervous about cars on sale with alloys and new tyres - too difficult to tell if tracking is OK.
I've only once had a car with alloys in 37 years of driving and I was not impressed - easilly damaged, likely to get nicked and a nuisance to clean.

MX5 sillyness - DPM
What end of the market are you in? I have an MX5 which I don't really need (it's a third car), but it's an older one (1991).
An import (Eunos) in BRG + leather etc.. Happy to send photos if you're interested.

DPM
MX5 sillyness - dohc
eamil me, I'm open to talking at a sensible price
MX5 sillyness - Vansboy
The car you want was bid up to £10500 at British Car Auctions today!May still be unsold, if you call them.
1.8 cloth, black, 2002 52 reg 67 miles only,had 'Serious Accident Damage' declared, to the cost of £2500.
Well repaired,but more than I would have wanted to give for it.
Don't think Mrs Vansboy will have anything less than one of the countless Limited edition models, they do!
Mark
MX5 sillyness - Vansboy
Forgot-BCA Walsall branch
Mark
MX5 sillyness - dohc
Pretty much an example of the sillyness about. 10.5K (or more) for a year old car that had that much damage when you can buy a new 1.8 from a car supermarket for 13k.
MX5 sillyness - DavidHM
£10500 for a new (current plate at least), *repaired* MX5 sounds like a good deal, depending on who did the repair. At least, that's how I read it. I assume it was on VCar, but with a good spec, I'd say it's worth the £3-4k saving if you know what you're doing and are keeping it for a long time.

£2500 doesn't sound like enough damage to write off a car like that though, so it might actually *not* be a write off but could have fallen off a transporter. Mazda might then have decided it wasn't worth the risk of repairing it themselves and selling it as new. Of course, if it was unregistered when the accident occurred, we're getting back to not knowing the age of the car; it could be a year old or more after all.