LDV Pilot - LDV Pilot steering box oil seal replacement. - tdc

I tried my friendly van forum but nobody was available to answer this question at the mo.

I have a manual steering box in very good nick apart from leaking all its oil(whilst not in use)past the horizontal output shaft.Has ayone stripped one of these and replaced the seal in a low cost way?Some time ago I heard that there was only an overhaul kit available which cost a fortune,so wondered if anyone knows where to get the individual seal/s....I`m used to paying between two and twelve quid for seals but cannot find one for this fix.

Also are any special tools required to strip and assemble these boxes?

Thanks in advance of any replies :)

LDV Pilot - LDV Pilot steering box oil seal replacement. - Peter.N.

Its a long time since I had anything to do with steering boxes as there are few vehicles that use them now. From distant memory the box will come apart after removing the top plate which has (or used to) an adjuster on it, I would have thought that the seal was an ordinary 'O' ring which are available in most sizes, have a look on ebay.

Whoops,never thanked Peter.N.

Over a year ago but only just getting around to it.

No special tools required then?

Seem to remember seeing an overhaul kit advertised at four-hundred quid!! If I can fix it with an `o` ring for pennies then I will be very happy.

I did belong to an LDV Sherpa forum ,it dissolved,then joined another,formed out of the ashes of the previous and now cannot find that one,so assume that`s gone to the wall too? See there`s one that requires jumping through the Google account hoops,which look too much hassle to me.....does anyone know of another currently in use?

I have an R-reg Pilot,been stood for 6 years with engine under dpm sheeting on old saw bench....hope bores are still ok.Haven`t seen many on the road over the last few years,is it the £200 road tax or rot issues?

Last owner made a mess removing the power steering box,chassis requires attn.Got a decent manual box but needs that leak sorting.The rear axle had collapsed(internal spacers?),so have solid previous model axle ready to go in.

Wonder if it`s worth tackling,have someone lined up to do the work who owes me the hours....or are spares difficult now and would I be throwing good after bad?

Looks a bit rotten at the back,near the fuel tank either side,but that`s not near structural points.

Just want cheap reliable van on the road,and the size is about right.Had a J reg Pilot with sliding front doors and shutter rear door...good old van.

tdc

Edited by tdc on 30/07/2014 at 12:37

LDV Pilot - LDV Pilot steering box oil seal replacement. - Peter.N.

I would think for that price the overhaul kit would include new internals for the box but if yours steers OK but is only leaking a replacement oil seal is probably all thats needed, The only sure way of finding out is to take it apart and see.

Peter

First rainy day I`ll have a go :)

Did have an address of company in the Brum area who have the seal for these boxes but lost it :(