BMW 3 Series - HPI Check - bigbhoy

I have just tried to buy a car from a dealer in Liverpool. The car was a 2009 Black 320D SE The car was advertised with full service history, 53700 miles at £9700, which I thought was a low price. Working on the old adage, if something seems to be too good to be true, that would normally be the case. Before driving over to see the car, I did an HPI check and discovered the car had done 132,000.

I phoned Cheshire Police to report this potential fraud. They did not want to know saying this was a matter for Trading standards. I am very unhappy with that response and the fact they would not deal with a crime. I will write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable. I also tried calling the police in Liverpool, they were much more helpful, took all the details and said they would follow it up. They also said I should contact trading standards, which I intend to do.

The essence of this story is that £10 spent on the Gold HPI check, has saved me from being defrauded of the best part of £10K.

BMW 3 Series - HPI Check - Collos25

They also said I should contact trading standards, which I intend to do.

Why don,t they get in touch with trading standards a serious crime has been committed and the police want you to do what is their work.No wonder people have no faith in the chocolate firegaurd service.

BMW 3 Series - HPI Check - RT

There are many areas of UK law where the investigation AND prosecution is dealt with outside the Police - eg animal welfare is investigated/prosecuted by the RSPCA or illegal immigration by the Border Agency.

Fraud of this type is properly dealt with by Trading Standards, let them do their job and don't waste police time on correspondence.

Edited by RT on 30/03/2013 at 20:22

BMW 3 Series - HPI Check - galileo

They also said I should contact trading standards, which I intend to do.

Why don,t they get in touch with trading standards a serious crime has been committed and the police want you to do what is their work.No wonder people have no faith in the chocolate firegaurd service.

In fairness, if Joe Public reports to Trading Standards it only takes a few minutes.

If the Old Bill have to do it, they probably have to fill in 8 forms in triplicate as well as log it on the computer, thanks to all the extra procedures imposed on them over the last few years by a succession of Governments.

BMW 3 Series - HPI Check - Avant

As Liverpool isn't in Cheshire, I don't think we should be too critical of the Cheshire police.