Fiat Punto 54 plate - Loss of power steering - charlesj

Our Punto has developed an intermittent loss of power steering. Our garage has reset the steering parameters on the onboard computer and last week cleaned all the electrical connections. However we lost power steering again today. It can be restored by switching off the ignition and restarting but this could be dangerous in heavy traffic.

We are advised that the ultimate solution is to replace the steering column at a cost of approximately £1400 which to us is a major amount. The car was bought second hand in October 2012 with a mileage of 18,000.

Has anyone had similar experinces and is there a cheaper alternative to cure the fault.

All suggestions welcomed.

Fiat Punto 54 plate - Loss of power steering - Chris M

Power steering failure is a common problem on Puntos. A reconditioned motor is around £300, so your garage is charging a lot for labour. Is it a main dealer? I don't know how long the job takes, but perhaps shop around.

BTW, some time back someone posted on here a reference to a repair of the motor. The chip that fails can be replaced, but I wouldn't expect a garage to be keen on that route.

Thanks Chris.

I have found a site ACS Power Steering which supplies reconditioned columns for £160, so will probably go down this route.

Fiat Punto 54 plate - Loss of power steering - Big John

Check the state of the battery first. If on the way out can throw up problems with the electric power steering due its high current requirements.

Many thanks Big John. Unfortunately(!) we put in a new battery 6 weeks back so what could be a great, cheap answer to our problem I dont think will apply in this case.

Fiat Punto 54 plate - Loss of power steering - daughters_with_cars

Had the same happen to my daughter's Punto and I bought a replacement column/ECU and fitted it.

That died as well , after it had gone past it's warranty expiry.

I wonder about these reconditioned units because they take in your old unit as an exchange so you never quite know how good the original quality was or how old.

I was going to take the whole thing apart and resolder all the joints (as has been suggested as a nother cure) but we p/x-d the car instead so someone else has the problem.

I would never go near another Fiat - far too many electrical niggles.