When to Discuss Prices - Old Bill
I am buying a used car soon (£8,000) and wonder when should I haggle/discuss the price of the car.

Do I do a test drive first and then discuss the price or should I do it the other way round? I don't want to waist time test driving something that latter I wont agree on the a price, should I then agree on the price subject to a satisfactory test drive & inspection?

Thanks all

Old Bill
When to Discuss Prices - Mark (RLBS)
Ask him what the price of the car is before you test drive. Sound like the price is displeasing/worrying. Test drive the car. Admit grudgingly that *maybe* the car would do.

Then start negotiating. Keen enough that he thinks he can sell to you, but unenthusiastic enough for him to think he has to do somethign extra to close the sale.
When to Discuss Prices - Andrew-T
Bill - doesn't this vehicle have an advertised price, on the screen, or in an ad? If you have taken the trouble to SEE the vehicle it implies you are at least interested. I would say go for a drive, and a few niggles may become evident to help you knock the price down. If not, it may be a good'un.
When to Discuss Prices - Vin {P}
Old Bill,

Worth starting as you mean to go on. Ask if they are willing to move on price. If they rely definitely not, you know whether you;re wasting your time if their price looks too high.

I sold a bike years and years ago. I desperately needed a quick sale, so I put it in at a very attractive price (£1,100 where I could reasnably easily have got £1,400), absolutely no offers. I told all the callers (and there were dozens) that the price was non negotiable. Bloke turned up, test rode, etc, etc. Told me he'd offer me £900. I told him to get lost, firmly. Ok, £1,000, he tried. I turned my back, walked into my house. He knocked on the door, told me he'd pay £1,100.

By now I was so hacked off that I told him he'd only get it if he paid £1,200, as there was a queue of people coming to see it. He left in high dudgeon, turned up at the door again 20 mins later and paid the £1,200.

V