Computer Related Questions-Volume 211 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 212 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 211. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2010 at 17:53

Seagate FreeAgent(Desk) external drive (from 209) - Stuartli
>>..you have joined the party a bit late!>>

Sorry, jbif. Didn't realise you had to have a memory like an elephant and remember individual thread postings from a little while back...:-)
Seagate FreeAgent(Desk) external drive (from 209) - jbif
remember individual thread postings from a little while back...:-) >.

;-)
a little while = one week

actually you did join the party in that thread , but left quickly after a very short and sweet pop in between all the off-topic stuff :
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82333&...e

Edited by jbif on 05/02/2010 at 18:31

Seagate FreeAgent(Desk) external drive (from 209) - L'escargot
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't mentioned my USB 1.1 again! I'll probably go to PC World today for an estimate to upgrade to USB 2.0.

Seagate FreeAgent(Desk) external drive (from 209) - L'escargot
I'm just starting to get the hang of it. However, having backed up some files unintentionally I now need to know whether they can be deleted from the external drive. I've since deleted those files from my computer and if I had to do a restore I wouldn't want them restoring. I've read the manual but can't find any reference to deleting files.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/02/2010 at 13:46

Seagate FreeAgent(Desk) external drive (from 209) - jbif
However, having backed up some files unintentionally I now need to know whether they can be deleted from the external drive >>
I've read the manual but can't find any reference to deleting files. >>

1. wait until new volume of CRQ starts to post a new thread/question relating to this issue, and give us more details.
2. tell us how you are backing up and/or restoring files.
3. tell us which manual you are reading.
4. as I said at somepoint before, it would be wise to use your Norton Ghost to make a full ghost image of your hard disk at, say, quarterly intervals.

Edited by jbif on 12/02/2010 at 14:22

A small tweak for Windows 7. - malteser
Our new laptop runs Windows 7, which seems OK so far. (Very pretty!)
One (minor) irritation I found was that the icon showing Internet Connectivity is, by design, a static bar ideogram, i.e. it does not indicate whether or not there is any activity.
Like many, I have grown used to the connection icon showing two small monitors, whose screens flash when traffic is being sent or received. This can be useful as an early indication of lack of connectivity, so I trawled the internet & found a neat little application which provides just the thing for which I was looking!
It may be found here:

www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/NetworkIndicator.aspx

Before downloading the executable (a zip file, initially), you have to register with The Code Project,: once done you can download the file. Extract it and run the program and you will have the old fashioned icon!
If you want it to load on Windows start up, right click the icon, choose settings and tick the appropriate box.
You can then choose to not show the static (useless) bar icon!
A small tweak for Windows 7. - Stuartli
The Tautology Bandwidth Meter provides a similar service, whilst adding up your daily and monthly uploads/downloads totals. See:

textmode.cwahi.net/bm.html

The icon is diamond shaped and clicking on it brings up the panel shown in the link. I'm still using V1.4 although V1.7 is now available and includes Windows7.

Edited by Stuartli on 06/02/2010 at 09:56

Home entertainment - wd 40
forgive my ignorance, but if we have a pc and 2 laptops at home connecting to the internet via a wireless router, is it possible to listen to audio stored on the PC via the laptops.

And if the answer is yes, how is it acheived, in words of few syllables ?

cheers
Home entertainment - Rattle
The most reliable way would be to store the music on a NAS hard drive, the easiest way would be to create a shared folder on the desktop which will allow your laptops to access your desktops files. It is usualy easy to do but things like firewalls can get in the way.
Home entertainment - rtj70
If you had iTunes to manage the music library, it's possible to share it and access it on other machines. But not everyone likes iTunes.
Home entertainment - bell boy
i have all my favourites in spotify
i just log in and play
Home entertainment - Rattle
Another example of cloud computing and the way distributed computing is slowly making its way into the home. I really must get round to signing up to Spotify Premium for the higher bit rates.
Home entertainment - smokie
I'd go with the NAS to host the files just in a regular file store. You can use different client software according to taste. iTunes is free, and there is quite a bit of support for it. Likewise Winamp.

Other benefits of having a NAS are that you can use it to store any other media that you may wish to share (photos, video), and it gives you somewhere readily available to backup to regularly.

Having had my head well and truly under the bonnet of a Western Digital World Edition for the past month or so, I would say that one would serve your purpose more than adequately. Amazon (maybe not the cheapest but pretty good) have the 1Tb for £132.
But if you have any DRM protected MP3 files they won't necessarily work on all the computers.
Home entertainment - SpamCan61 {P}
OK a NAS with uPnP support is the most elegant solution, but it does involve spending money unlike using the built in WMP /iTunes uPnP support or just folder sharing.
Home entertainment - maz64
i have all my favourites in spotify
i just log in and play

Might be a problem if OP has a low monthly download limit?
Home entertainment - Manatee
Might be a problem if OP has a low monthly download limit?

...or poor linespeed. Cloud's not much good to me with 40-500kbps most of the time.

I'm currently listening to the Brighouse Elastic Band via the USB HDD.

Edited by Manatee on 06/02/2010 at 17:48

But this isn't cloud computing.... anyway this does not satisfy the original requirement because all the PCs would need a spotify account. A premium one to avoid the adverts.
Home entertainment - jbif
... anyway this does not satisfy the original requirement ... >>

:-) I agree. The elephant in the room in the original question was " in words of few syllables ?"
NAS? uPnP? DRM ? clouds?
wazzat all sunshine?

Edited by jbif on 07/02/2010 at 11:47

For those wanting to know and unable to look them up:

NAS = network attached storage. A hard disk you can access across the network without it being attached to a computer itself (it has a small computer in the case to share the content)

uPNP = universal plug and plug which is a set of network communication standards to make setting up a network at home and sharing information easy. Basically one machine can see and access files on another, possibly including a NAS

DRM = digital rights management which locks the media file in question to a particular PC (or a few PCs). This stops illegal file sharing. A lot of the earlier tracks downloaded from the likes of Apple's iTunes had DRM. Tesco Digital and Amazon tracks are DRM free so can be used on any device.
>> ... anyway this does not satisfy the original requirement ... >>
:-) I agree. The elephant in the room in the original question was " in
words of few syllables ?"
NAS? uPnP? DRM ? clouds?
wazzat all sunshine?

Yeah I'll stick to folder sharing as option 1
Assuming a Windows based system there are a variety of ways of doing it, as already described by others. Here's Microsoft's take on it using WMP11 as a media server:-

www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/...x

This thread explains at least some of the options:-

www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/140335-s...l
MP3s from Amazon and other sources - ifithelps
As an iPod/iTunes novice, will I find it easy to download MP3s from Amazon or another source?

I ask because I'm considering buying the 'current' Paolo Nutini and much more current Florence and the Machine albums.

Both the unlikely-named Scottish singer songwriter and the comely Ms Welch are a couple of quid cheaper on Amazon.

But I'm a bit wary because Amazon say you have to download their own piece of software, and it should all work with iTunes, but you might have to alter your browser settings and/or search for the files on your hard drive.

It is all too easy for me to get into a muddle/frustrated with things like that, so something that should take two minutes ends up taking two hours.

So is buying an MP3 from Amazon nice and easy?

And are there any other sources of MP3s I could be looking at?

MP3s from Amazon and other sources - maz64
I've bought a few downloads from play.com without any problems; no fancy software IIRC. Don't know how the prices compare (Sunny Side Up is £7.75 BTW saw him live last year, excellent).

MoneySavingExpert has an MP3 price comparison tool:
www.tunechecker.com/

EDIT: which claims you can get SSU for £4.99 from 'tunetribe' who I've never heard of

Edited by Focus {P} on 07/02/2010 at 13:45

MP3s from Amazon and other sources - SpamCan61 {P}
Ok in the interests of the Backroom I've blown 29p on an Amazon download. The installer isn't very big and it's just a matter of pressing OK a few times to install. Amazon won't let you buy the track until the downloader is installed.

Then they provide you with a help page when you go through the checkout to make sure you download correctly. By default the file is downloaded to a folder called (in XP at least) my documents /my music /amazonmp3 . I would hope iTunes would automatically find it there.

I suggest the OP does what I've just done and just try a cheap random track to establish that the process works.
...I suggest the OP does what I've just done and just try a cheap random track to establish that the process works...

SpamCan61,

What a good idea.

And I feel indebted to you to the tune of 29p.

Last of the big spenders me ;-)

There's often a few free promotional tracks on Amazon but I couldn't find any. I'm wondering how much it will cost them to process my 29p credit card transaction...
I've just lashed out 69p on a track by The Drifters.

I can report all went well, Firefox shunted it straight into iTunes which, bless it, began playing the song without being asked.

All together now: "Saturday night at the movies..."

I wondered about transaction cost.

Bought a few individual songs from iTunes which emailed me a statement with them all on.

So it looks like iTunes might invoice a few things together, rather than individually.

Buy the album from tunetribe, and pay back SC with some of the money you save :-)
...and pay back SC with some of the money you save...

Focus,

Without wanting to show off, I do have the funds available, the problem is the method of transmission from me to SpamCan.

Without wanting to show off I do have the funds available the problem is the
method of transmission from me to SpamCan.

You mentioned in your original post that you were using Amazon because it was a few quid cheaper than iTunes. So I was just curious as to why you weren't going to give tunetribe a go and save another quid - your choice of course.
Focus,

Just checked tunetribe - a quid cheaper for Paolo and 50p less for Florence.

As you are recommending it. I take it tunetribe is reliable.

I suppose I trust the likes of iTunes and Amazon.

Both tunetribe and Amazon make iTunes look overpriced.

Funny that, because when I saw that nice Mr Jobs on the telly with his iPad, he looked like he could do with a new pair of jeans.

MP3s from Amazon and other sources - jbif
Focus said: >> 'tunetribe' who I've never heard of >>

ifithelps said: >> As you are recommending it. I take it tunetribe is reliable. >>

Does not compute!

As you are recommending it. I take it tunetribe is reliable.

Not at all - just thought that it might be worth a go given that it is the cheapest and you appeared to be wanting to save money. But I can quite understand the desire to sticking with a website you've heard of.

As for reliability - it looks like tunetribe doesn't use any additional software for downloads, so in theory it should all be pretty straightforward...
As for reliability - it looks like tunetribe doesn't use any additional software for downloads
so in theory it should all be pretty straightforward...

>>

mmm...I'd say that depends on what browser is being used and where it's default download location is - unless iTunes scans the whole C:drive for new files by default?
I'm gutted. I wasted 29p. The current Corrine Bailey Rae single is free on Amazon!

tinyurl.com/yjhvphr

You still have to go through the checkout, I'm now wondering how much a credit card bill for £0.00 costs to process. A quiet day at Spamcan towers.
I'm gutted. I wasted 29p. The current Corrine Bailey Rae single is free on Amazon!

She was also interviewed and played live on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning - on iPlayer if you're interested (the singing was at the end).
MP3s from Amazon and other sources - Stuartli
>>..and played live...>>

Apart from her excellent songs, Corrine probably has the biggest and most uplifting smile in the pop world...:-)
MP3s from Amazon and other sources - rtj70
mmm...I'd say that depends on what browser is being used and where it's default
download location is

The Amazon downloader can add the MP3 into iTunes automatically. I have also used Tesco Digital and you have to save those and add to iTunes via iTunes.
Preserving Battery Life - geoff1248
I will shortly be going long haul and will be taking my netbook into the cabin to watch the odd movie on it and listen to a few plays and music I have recorded. I want to ensure that I get the maximum use out of the battery so in preparation, once on board I will be:
1. turning off the anti-virus
2. turning off the wireless LAN
3. turning off the BlueTooth
4. reducing the screen contrast
5. resetting the memory usage to best performance

the netbook runs XP.

Any other suggestions as I am flying cattle class with no electric plug-ins on the seats?
Preserving Battery Life - rtj70
2. turning off the wireless LAN
3. turning off the BlueTooth

You have to do that anyway. And it will be off for the take off and landing which will help battery life.

My laptop has an eco mode and turns off quite a bit of hardware at a press of a button. You won't have a DVD drive and you already suggest WAN and BT. Does it have Firefire/IEEE1394? Disable that too.

What capacity battery does it have?

Edited by rtj70 on 07/02/2010 at 21:16

Preserving Battery Life - geoff1248
The netbook is a Samsung NC10 with the standard 6 cell battery 5,200mAh capacity. How long it will last presumably depends on what it being asked to do. Theoretically it could last for 6-7 hours if I were just word processing. However I am likely to be doing far more processor/video active stuff so I want to wring every last drop of time out of the battery. Certainly don't want to get 95% through a play when the battery dies.
So any help most appreciated.
Preserving Battery Life - rtj70
Is there no power option on the flight? Or an extra/external battery to help?

Before spending money I'd charge to max and run the laptop as wanted on the flight i battery mode and time it. I bet my iPod touch and Sony eReader will last longer though to keep one entertained.
Preserving Battery Life - Old Navy
All the long haul cattle class flights I have used recently have had a comprehensive choice of entertainment on the seat back screens. Your netbook may not have to last the whole flight.
Colour of file names in folders - L'escargot
When I open a folder of my files, the colour of some of the file names is now blue instead of the normal black. However, if I open a "blue" file and then resave it, the file name in the folder reverts to the normal black.
Why did the file names change colour, and how do I correct this situation?

Edited by L'escargot on 08/02/2010 at 09:54

Colour of file names in folders - maz64
Why did the file names change colour and how do I correct this situation?

I think it means you've got 'disk compression' enabled, where files which haven't been used for a while are compressed. By saving it, it becomes 'used' and hence isn't compressed.

Not a problem as such - compression might mean file access is a bit slower, but there's less file to access. I don't think there's a noticeable change in performance, but am ready to be corrected.

Disk compression is something you can enable by right-clicking on a disk in Windows Explorer and selecting properties (IIRC).
Colour of file names in folders - bell boy
windows 7?
windows 7?

Nope, XP Home.
Colour of file names in folders - SpamCan61 {P}
windows 7?

I think l'escargot is hanging on to XP like me.

Having had a quick play then I think Focus has the answer,I've just switched file compression on to a folder and it's gone blue.

I'd just leave it like that unless it's causing a problem.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 08/02/2010 at 10:27

I think it means you've got 'disk compression' enabled

From reading about compression, it might be just that you/someone selected 'compress old files' when doing a disk cleanup. If the 'compress disk' option was selected as I suggested, I don't think saving the file would un-compress it.

Have you checked in disk properties whether the compress option is enabled?
Colour of file names in folders - smokie
A bit more on compression - you can choose to compress or decompress files on either on a file-by-file, folder or disk basis, by right clicking then going to Properties and Advanced (slightly different sequence for each). If you are thinking about compressing a disk, it will take a long long time to do it once it has data, but you can choose to compress when you are formatting a disk. You need to be aware that there are some applications which don't cope very well (or at all) with compressed files.

Compression is pretty much done in hardware now so usually not noticeable decrease in performance.

If a file is compressed and you open it and save it back to where it was, I don't think it become uncompressed (i.e. go from blue to black). However if you save ity to a different place (uncompressed folder or disk) it will go black.

Lastly, compression works well for some files types (in particular Office files) but will have virtually zero impact on .jpgs, .mp3s or video files are these are already efficiently compressed.
Compression is pretty much done in hardware now

Motherboard chipset, or disk drive itself?

EDIT: or CPU hardware?

Edited by Focus {P} on 08/02/2010 at 12:00

Whoops, I was thinking it was carried out in the disk, but it's a Windows function so software.

I didn't realise that aged files were automatically compressed either - in fact I doubted it - but I found a thread somewhere which sort of confirmed it, and that it's part of the Disk Cleanup functionality (which I don't use). For non-novices, this may be the way to turn it off kb.ucla.edu/articles/automatically-skip-compress-o...p

This would account for a file being Saved going from blue to black.
but I found a thread somewhere which sort of confirmed it and that
it's part of the Disk Cleanup functionality

that would be this thread (see earlier post) :-)
Yeah, that's the one. I'll shut up now!! :-)

Edited by smokie on 08/02/2010 at 12:55

From reading about compression it might be just that you/someone selected 'compress old files' when
doing a disk cleanup.

Guilty as charged! I ran Disk Cleanup yesterday and selected "Compress old files" without knowing what the full consequences would be! Ah well, you live and learn.

Thanks, Focus.
I ran Disk Cleanup yesterday and selected "Compress old files" without knowing
what the full consequences would be! Ah well you live and learn.

I think the only consequences are you've saved yourself a bit of disk space and got a more colourful list of files - nothing to worry about.
Colour of file names in folders - jbif
how do I correct this situation? >>

Focus has explained why it happens. If you want to control the blue/black behaviour, you can do so here in Windows XP:

Windows Explorer=>Tools=>Folder Options=>View=>Advanced Settings=>"Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color"

screenshots - see step 4(d) here:
www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-to-make-your-windows.../

But, I should leave things as they are if I was you.

Edited by jbif on 08/02/2010 at 10:28

Windows Explorer=>Tools=>Folder Options=>View=>Advanced Settings=>"Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color" ..............

But I should leave things as they are if I was you.

I couldn't resist a challenge like that! The only thing was that to find the right Tools I had to click on Start, then Search. Tools was at the top of the Search Results page.

File names have now all reverted to black.

Thanks jbif.
Colour of file names in folders - jbif
File names have now all reverted to black >>

L'escargot:
Note, although, that the underlying file compression will remain. You can of course change the setting back to show them in blue if you want to go back to the default.

Now that you have a 1TB external drive, if you have not done so already, it would be wise to make backup images of your system hard disk on a regular basis (especially useful if you are tinkering with the PC and it goes wrong!). You can either use the Seagate diskwizard [*] or your old "useless" Norton Ghost (it should work with the USB drive).

[*] see Stuartli's post in the previous volume here
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82490&...e

How to find missing MP3 file? - ifithelps
I downloaded a Drifters track from Amazon yesterday.

All appeared well, it came up in iTunes and played.

Tried to play it today.

It is still listed, but has an exclamation mark next to it.

Pressing 'play' gives the error message: 'Song could not be used because original file could not be found.'

It then asks if I would like to look for it, and there's a box inviting me to type in the file name.

I've no idea what that might be.

The only other tracks I've bought so far are from iTunes.

They are still where they should be and still play.

Any ideas where my Drifters song might be?
How to find missing MP3 file? - maz64
I believe from a previous topic that the Amazon downloader app stores the MP3 in a place where iTunes can find it. So the following might be completely irrelevant, but I'll mention it anyway.

My wife bought and downloaded an MP3 from a non-Amazon store, and it played fine. Next day, she couldn't find it. After extensive questioning, it turned out that when the download prompt had asked her whether to 'open' or 'save' the download, she had selected 'open'. This meant that the file had still been downloaded, but it gets stored in a temporary location from where it will probably get deleted shortly after.

Fortunately she was allowed to download it again, and this time she selected 'save', and all was well.
How to find missing MP3 file? - SpamCan61 {P}
focus's answer is a distinct possibility, the Amazon downloader did warn about this when I was playing about with it yesterday.

In case it's still lurking somewhere on your HDD do a file search on the C: drive for *.mp3 files created in the last week.
Apologies for the long post, but I've just got this from Amazon and it may be of interest.

They seem to be making an effort, but I don't understand much of what the email says.

It ends with an offer to send the track again, which is what I've asked them to do.

I intent to download the Amazon Downloader in the hope it will give me the option to 'run' or 'save'.

Quoting:

If you used the Amazon MP3 Downloader, the default directory to which your files are saved is named "Amazon MP3." Please search your computer for that folder, and you should be able to locate the music you downloaded. For Windows users, this folder is typically within your "My Music" folder. For Mac users, this folder is typically within your "Music" folder.

Also, you can launch the Amazon MP3 Downloader on your computer and view or change the default directory by choosing File/Preferences from the application menu. Your download location is specified in the "Output Directory" section. You can also have the Downloader place music directly into Windows Media Player or iTunes by changing the "Media Library" setting.

If you downloaded a song from your browser without the Amazon MP3 Downloader, your Web browser settings control the location of the download. If you search for files with the extension ".mp3," you should be able to locate your purchases. Be sure when you are downloading songs without the Downloader that you choose "Save" instead of "Open" when prompted. Please only open your downloaded files after they have been saved.

ENDS.

How to find missing MP3 file? - gmac
Any ideas where my Drifters song might be?

Sittin' on the dock of the bay ?

Sorry couldn't resist...:)

Set up a folder where you store all your downloaded music sorted by artist. Save all future downloads there. This can then be your archive.

Play.com allow you access to download again without further charge any album you previously bought. I found this out when a backup/restore failed on my PC.
...Sittin' on the dock of the bay ?...

Could be Under the Boardwalk, not that I would ever know.

As a test, I've downloaded the free Corinne Bailey Rae single using the Amazon Downloader.

Appears to have worked - as per The Drifters - let's see if it makes it through the night.

Appears to have worked - as per The Drifters - let's see if it makes
it through the night.

Have you tried searching for it to find out where it has been stored on your drive?
...Have you tried searching for it to find out where it has been stored on your drive?...

An 'Amazon MP3' folder has appeared in 'My Music'.

Ms Rae is inside the folder, and the track is also in my iTunes library.

I'm fairly sure the mistake I made with The Drifters was to download it without the Amazon MP3 Downloader installed.

I'll see if Ms Rae still comes out to play in a day or so before I risk downloading a paid-for album.

An 'Amazon MP3' folder has appeared in 'My Music'.
Ms Rae is inside the folder and the track is also in my iTunes library.

sorted
...sorted...

Think so.

I've just re-downloaded The Drifters track and that has also appeared in the Amazon MP3 folder, so I'm fairly sure all is now well.

My original 'mistake' was downloading the track without first downloading the Amazon MP3 Downloader.

Amazon have done about as good a job as could be expected in terms of sorting my little difficulty.

Well, who would have thought downloading a crummy little 69p MP3 file could be so, er, interesting?

My thanks to everyone who contributed.

Edited by ifithelps on 09/02/2010 at 03:03

How to find missing MP3 file? - rtj70
Keep an eye on Tesco digital for MP3 as well. Can be cheaper and no DRM (like Amazon). But you have to save those files somewhere and add to iTunes.

A good option in iTunes to have it consolidate your library - it puts all music managed by iTunes in the iTunes library/folder.
Keep an eye on Tesco digital for MP3 as well.

...and if you're feeling adventurous, from MoneySavingExpert:
www.tunechecker.com/

keyboard query - billy25
Sorry folks, i seem to remember this has been asked before! but i can`t find it :-(

Friends keyboard is doing strange things! different menus/pages/apps keep opening everytime she tries to type anything, whether in a "search" box or in a word doc. I seem to remember reading on here that somebody not too long ago had a similar prob, and it turned out to be an inadvertently struck key-combination? or something? - would be gratefull for a bit of help resolving this issue, as it`s something i feel i should know, but i don`t! :-(

thanks
Billy
keyboard query - maz64
would be gratefull for a bit of help resolving this issue

When our keyboard stopped working, possibly due to the glass of coke that got spilled on it, we just got a £5 SmartPrice keyboard from Asda. Works fine.

Presumably she's tried holding it upside down and shaking out the bits?
keyboard query - daveyjp
Sticky keys may have been turned on accidentally (or by a prankster).

Press shift five times to turn it off. This also has an option to permanently disable this feature.
keyboard query - billy25
Thanks folks! - sorted, Went around this morning for a look, was a sticking Alt key, caused by a lump of broken fingernail lodged between the spacebar and Alt key! tool of trade =cocktail stick

so if you come across this again..........................

cheers
Billy
Firefox - gmac
I have downloaded and started to play around with Firefox 3.5.7

Is it possible to block sites from within Firefox without resorting to add-ons ?
There is nothing in Tools-->Options..>Security to enable this.
Firefox - maz64
If you search the Firefox help, under Parental Controls it lists 3rd party add-ons for blocking websites, implying there's nothing built-in.
support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Parental+controls?bl=...s
Firefox - gmac
Thanks. That's where I'm at with the help just thought I'd ask. Didn't really want to clutter the thing up with add-ons but if that's how it works...
I wanted to specify a specific flavour of a search engine that again forced me down the add-ons route.
Firefox - TheOilBurner
Do you want to just block specific sites or general web filtering?
Firefox - gmac
Specific sites so I can customise what I view.
Firefox - TheOilBurner
You can either go down the add-on route or just enter the IP address in the Windows hosts file and redirect it to localhost.

Do a google search to see how it's done.
Firefox - Stuartli
The full version of Firefox 3.6 has been available since mid-January:

www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/

All the security and privacy features are detailed in the link.

Edited by Stuartli on 10/02/2010 at 12:58

Microsoft security essentials - Robin Reliant
Anyone using this, and how do you find it?

I have AVG free at the moment.
Microsoft security essentials - geoff1248
I used if for a while before I found out that it sends some of your hard drive folder details to Microsoft. Now I have nothing to hide but I like to decide who I tell what.
I deleted security essentials and reinstalled AVG. The problem with antivirus software is that you just don't know how good it is until you actually come under attack. Then it can be too late.
Microsoft security essentials - Stuartli
>>..that you just don't know how good it is until you actually come under attack.>>

I've used Avast! for several years. I might get a Trojan warning once every six months or so but Avast! always nips it in the bud and takes care of the problem.

Avast! also updates itself automatically and advises you both verbally and in written form that it has done so. See:

www.avast.com (free version).

If you decide to install it, remove any other AV program first (off-line) and then install. Initial registration is for several weeks but can be upgraded to a year by registering at the above link. Ensure that you state it's for private use and not business.
Microsoft security essentials - crunch_time
"Avast! also updates itself automatically and advises you both verbally and in written form that it has done so."

In case that doesn't appeal, there is 'silent/gaming mode' which you can select to be always on, and Avast just gets on with things without bothering you.

Microsoft security essentials - Altea Ego
Anyone using this and how do you find it?

I have it installed, and I install it on all the builds I do.

It works fine, seems to use less horsepower than most, so I have swopped to that from Avast.
Microsoft security essentials - Robin Reliant
Ta, just done it myself as I have heard AVG has got a bit ropey.
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - jbif
Be aware - XP update KB977165 WindowsXP-KB977165-x86-ENU.exe is reported to be causing BSOD on some PCs:

www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/ms_bsod_update_gl.../

Edited by jbif on 11/02/2010 at 19:22

Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - bell boy
ace
havent had a blue screen of death for years.........
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - JH
ooh - that's tempting fate! :-)

JH
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - rtj70
Is that on Mint then bell boy - it is Linux you use isn't it? :-)
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - bell boy
been on the xp for a few weeks again rt :-)
needed to use a lexmark printer so it was easier
anyway a change at home as they say
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - Stuartli
>>havent had a blue screen of death for years>>

I've updated everything on my system that needs updating on a regular basis (XP Pro) for many years and it just keeps on working exactly as I would expect...:-)
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - Rattle
Thanks for that :) If I get a few BSODs phone calls on XP I will look at that straight away.

A lot of BSODs can be hardware errors so you're lucky.

Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - SpamCan61 {P}
I reckon on 1 BSOD per year per machine at home, with a mix of XP Home and Vista HP.
Warning - XP update KB977165 may give BSOD - jbif
I reckon on 1 BSOD per year per machine at home with a mix of XP Home and Vista HP. >>

The BSOD reported here is caused by the XP update. Same update for Vista and Win7 causes no reported problems.

As for frequency of BSODs, I get none on XP and Win7 machines but I get a TCPIP related one frequently on one Vista PC when on HTTPS websites, which is caused by a known glitch in Agnitum Outpost firewall on that PC (according to their support forums, Agnitum have known about the problem for more than 6 months), but are unable to fix.