It makes my blood boil.... - Wee Willie Winkie

So, I'm stopped at traffic lights this afternoon and a Ford Fiesta pulls up next to me to turn right. Driver and passenger seat occupied by a couple of nice looking 20somethings. However, the one in the passenger seat, whilst safely belted in herself, had a small girl sat on her lap. There was nobody sat in the back and it had seatbelts.

People like this should have their kids taken off them.

Oh, and the driver was on her mobile.

It makes my blood boil.... - R75
I got a telling off last week from SWMBO for telling a women what I thought of her because of a similar incident. She pulled up to pick her kid up from school, her other kid was loose in the passanger front seat of a 307cc, I asked her what sort of mess she thought his head would make as it was spread accross the windscreen - her response was "we only live just up the road", so obviously accidents dont happen close to home??? I was raging and called her every four letter word under the sun - made sure it was done loudly as well so all her friends could hear - as you said, people like that don't deserve kids.
It makes my blood boil.... - Armitage Shanks {p}
This lady may well have been very stupid but using 4 letter words at her is also an offence and, in this day and age, you might have come worse out of a court hearing than she would, assuming she had bothered to report you! If people want to mess up their lives let them get on with it; if you got worked up about every dumb idiot on the road you wouldn't sleep well.
I may well have come of worse in a court hearing, But I know what I did was correct, that child relies on his parents to take care of him, if they fail then it should be pointed out to them. It was not the first time I have had words with people about belting up their children and I know that unfortunalty it will not be the last - and if I get a bop on the nose or an arrest for doing it, then so be it - I can live with that, I hope they can live with a dead child due to their negligence. Maybe we need more people who are willing to say something and less of the people who are happy to stand and say nothing.
It makes my blood boil.... - rtj70
A lot of people do not have a clue on road safefy etc.

e.g. on the way to work today popped to a recycle centre to drop some things off... car in front of me had a failed brake light. Told the female driver and she said she knew about it. Quite calmly as if it had been a problem for a while.

About to get in my car and then added... "thought I'd let you know because you could get 3 points and a fine for that" and suddenly she said "I didn't know that". Her face told it all ... she did not have a clue about the implications.

Forget fines/points, people are on the roads and driving with disregard for law and safety....

P.S. Once phoned traffic police to report someone with road rage. Whilst still on phone they walked over, swore etc., whilst I was on hands free car phone - so all on tape. Around 11:30pm on that same Sunday, traffic car turns up at home to ask me a few questions before they went to speak to driver... and he was in because they'd done a drive past :-)
It makes my blood boil.... - just a bloke
I was
raging and called her every four letter word under the sun
- made sure it was done loudly as well so all
her friends could hear

very mature... I'm sure they all considered you the very model of an upright and concerned citizen. It's always good to expose young children to abusive langauge as early as possible so that they can be ready with all the right language by the time they can talk.

Excellent work!
very mature... I'm sure they all considered you the very model
of an upright and concerned citizen. It's always good to expose
young children to abusive langauge as early as possible so that
they can be ready with all the right language by the
time they can talk.
Excellent work!

I thought so, Obviously you can contain your emotions better then I can in such circumstances, good for you! I would rather expose kids to a torrent of foul language (most of which they will have heard/used before so don't kid yourself) and be secure in the knowledge that I tried to do something to save injury and possible death to a minor, rather then just standing by on the sideline shaking my head and mumbling what is the world coming to - I will leave you to do that.
It makes my blood boil.... - leef
I thought so, Obviously you can contain your emotions better then
I can in such circumstances, good for you! I would rather
expose kids to a torrent of foul language (most of which
they will have heard/used before so don't kid yourself) and be
secure in the knowledge that I tried to do something to
save injury and possible death to a minor, rather then just
standing by on the sideline shaking my head and mumbling what
is the world coming to - I will leave you to
do that.

I suppose what you did was right, ie point out the dangers, but swearing at a women while her children and other children are around is not right, even if they have heard it before. At the end of the day its nothing to do with you? its not your kids involved, on the other hand though if it was my girlfriend or wife and I caught you calling her every name under the sun I'd be looking to fill you in for it, regardless if she had strapped the kids in or not, maybe this womens husband/boyfriend may have also taken exception had he been there?? What would you do if somebody was abusing your partner?
I suppose what you did was right, ie point out the
dangers, but swearing at a women while her children and other
children are around is not right, even if they have heard
it before. At the end of the day its nothing to
do with you? its not your kids involved, on the other
hand though if it was my girlfriend or wife and I
caught you calling her every name under the sun I'd be
looking to fill you in for it, regardless if she had
strapped the kids in or not, maybe this womens husband/boyfriend may
have also taken exception had he been there?? What would you
do if somebody was abusing your partner?

For one, My partner is a child minder so is horrified by actions such as the womens - but if she had done the same then she would deserve to get a torrent of abuse and I would be next in the line to give it to her. As I said previously, If it meant I got a bop on the nose then so be it - I can live a bruise if it potentialy saves a kids life - but bearing in mind I am 5'11" and 17 stone and cut rather an imposing figure I would be fairly certain that I would have been ok. The other notable point was that I did it from the drivers seat of a car, I did not square up to her, so there was no intimidation - in fact it was through the open passangers window.
For one, My partner is a child minder so is horrified
by actions such as the womens - but if she had
done the same then she would deserve to get a torrent
of abuse and I would be next in the line to
give it to her. As I said previously, If it meant
I got a bop on the nose then so be it
- I can live a bruise if it potentialy saves a
kids life - but bearing in mind I am 5'11" and
17 stone and cut rather an imposing figure I would be
fairly certain that I would have been ok. The other notable
point was that I did it from the drivers seat of
a car, I did not square up to her, so there
was no intimidation - in fact it was through the open
passangers window.

You would be next in-line to give her abuse, fair enough but you wouldn't stand there and let somebody dish it out to her would you? My point is, what business is it of yours? If an adult drives past you in there car at 40mph in a 30mph zone not wearing a seatbelt do you pull up to them and give them abuse? if something happens to her kids it's on her conscience, she'll have to live with it, not you. Like I say your morally correct, she should belt the kids up! but is worth the possibility of getting filled in and causing a big row? regardless of your size, im 6' 1" and 17st 4lb imposing figure or not, its somebodys Mrs and just isn't worth it, right or wrong....
You would be next in-line to give her abuse, fair enough
but you wouldn't stand there and let somebody dish it out
to her would you? My point is, what business is it
of yours? If an adult drives past you in there car
at 40mph in a 30mph zone not wearing a seatbelt do
you pull up to them and give them abuse? if something
happens to her kids it's on her conscience, she'll have to
live with it, not you. Like I say your morally correct,
she should belt the kids up! but is worth the possibility
of getting filled in and causing a big row? regardless of
your size, im 6' 1" and 17st 4lb imposing figure or
not, its somebodys Mrs and just isn't worth it, right or
wrong....

Actually I would have stood there and let someone dish it out - and it is worth it, how can you say it is not worth it? An adult has the choice as to the direction of their life - a child relies on the guidance of their parents, why should a child be potentially put through, at best death, and at worst a life as a vegetable just because their parents were not responsible enough to take basic precautions. Even at very low speeds serious injury would have been caused, and no doubt the car had a passanger airbag as it was a pug 307cc, which just makes it worse. I am obviously in the minority at having a go at her, and maybe people think I went to far, But I have had to stop at and help at accidents before when people have been belted up, and they can still be a mess - I would not want to have to stop to help a child who was maimed just because his mother has one brain cell less then an ameba. I stand by my actions and would do exactly the same again if I had to. I think people like her should be banned from driving for a minimum of a year if they were caught with unrestrained children in the car.
I thought so, Obviously you can contain your emotions better then
I can in such circumstances, good for you! I would rather
expose kids to a torrent of foul language (most of which
they will have heard/used before so don't kid yourself) and be
secure in the knowledge that I tried to do something to
save injury and possible death to a minor, rather then just
standing by on the sideline shaking my head and mumbling what
is the world coming to - I will leave you to
do that.

Actually in similar circumstances I find a quiet word works best. Standing shouting the odds means that all anyone takes away from the encounter is " wasn't that man an 'oaf'" rather than any "safety" message you are trying to impart but
hey! Fill yer boots, no skin off my nose.

And as an aside, if you happened to be screaming at my partner like that you'd like as not find yourself in a whole heap more trouble.

But of course in your self righteous indignation you're always careful to bully unaccompanied women eh?

;) Jab

But of course in your self righteous indignation you're always careful
to bully unaccompanied women eh?
;) Jab

Nope I would quite happily do the same to a man, the sex of the person matters not in instances like these - neither does the size, and not quite sure what you mean by a "whole heap more trouble", so please feel free to explain - and you best put in words that are really simple - cos us Oafs aren't very clever - unlike your partner who carrying a child unrestrained is quite clearly a brain of britain!!!

not quite sure what you
mean by a "whole heap more trouble", so please feel free
to explain - and you best put in words that are
really simple - cos us Oafs aren't very clever - unlike

I think what he's trying to say is that he'd chin you in a second regardless of your imposing figure, if it was his Mrs you were swearing at, as would I!!

I'll say it again, I dont disagree with you having a nice quiet word, whether it makes a difference or not, thats your part done!! Swearing at her is a no no. Car window, to her face, doesn't matter, you don't do it... one day you will and get smashed to bits for it.
you don't do it... one
day you will and get smashed to bits for it.

I'll take my chances thanks, I still feel happier knowing I had the balls to do something.
It makes my blood boil.... - No FM2R
Oh come on, nobody was criticising you doing something about it merely the style with which you did it. That's not a question of balls, that's a question of maturity and ability.
I think in theis instance it is a question of balls, by the sound of it most of you others would say "silly lady" and walk away, at least I had the guts to say far more - regardless of the consequences - either personally with the possibiliy of a physical attack on me, or otherwise the possibility of her reporting me to the police.
It doesn't matter what you say, only what somebody else hears.

You might have said **** lady **** belt *** children *** accident *** injury

She will have heard ****** ********* ********* *******

So, in the case of effective message, probably an achievment of naff all.

On top of that, you will, to some level or other, have traumatised the children. Sadly you did that for no good reason, since the traumatising abuse had no effect on their future safety due to the way the message was delivered to the mother.

You felt better, probably a little macho, and somewhat self-righteous. The mother was probably annoyed and the kids upset. I doubt that much else achieved.
I doubt that
much else achieved.

I very much disagree, but as neither of us is likely to ever know I am happy with my actions and stand by them.
Nope I would quite happily do the same to a man,
the sex of the person matters not in instances like these
- neither does the size, and not quite sure what you
mean by a "whole heap more trouble", so please feel free
to explain - and you best put in words that are
really simple - cos us Oafs aren't very clever - unlike
your partner who carrying a child unrestrained is quite clearly a
brain of britain!!!

I doubt you would talk to man like but whatever *shrug*... well maybe once perhaps ;)

As regard my meaning I think it's quite clear, I also didn't call you an oaf. Secondly,if my partner chose to carry children unrestrained it is not for you to scream abuse at her. Thirdly, I would take some form of action iof you were screaming at someone else like that and my partner was simply in earshot.

Your behaviour was loutish and quite boorish, in a teenager I have no doubt you would be screaming for ASBO should that said teenager behave in a similar fashion even with the same "moral high ground" you obviously think you occupy.

Don't bother to repudiate it I wouldn't believe you.

;) Have a nice day

I really don't care what you believe, I was there at the time, and I did what I felt was correct - you were not. I have also mentioned to male drivers about belting up their kids before now, and funnily enough you don't get the same response - and that is because they know that they are as likely to get slap from me as I am from them.

And I really cant see why you think it is the moral high ground I have taken - it is common sense, or maybe that is an alien concept to you.

And dont bother to reply - not because i don't vale your oppinion, but because you are insignificant. ;o)
>>and called her every four letter word under the sun

Why ? Did it make you feel better ? Or did it hide your message ? Did you feel that four-letter words in front of her friends was going to make them think less of her, or considerably less of the abusive bloke swearing at her ?

I agree with your message. I even agree with telling her what you think about the situation or her for letting it occur. But the abusive language ? - rather immature and unimaginative, don't you think ? Especially in front of children, who I would imagine were quite upset to see his mother abused, irrespective of whether or not they had heard the words before.

Do you still think it was correct to use that kind of language ?
Do you still think it was correct to use that kind
of language ?

In that situation at that time, then yes, I wont go into the full story but a polite remark made no impact other then for her call me names - tit for tat maybe - but I was already mad, and that just tipped me over the edge and then the torrent flowed, I feel happy that what I did was the correct course of action, mature? Maybe not, but I felt better for it, and i am sure she will remember it. But to be perfectly honest, I would rather have had not been put in that position by the mindless bimbo in the first place.
It makes my blood boil.... - grn
Did the kids hear your language? How good was that?
Frankly, she probably dismissed all you said, given your verbal dexterity, but she WILL remember your verbal abuse. Not clever in a public place, let's hope she doesn't report you. Do unto others etc etc... No wonder we have road-rage with people who have a go whenever it suits them...

Did the kids hear your language? How good was that?
Frankly, she probably dismissed all you said, given your verbal dexterity,
but she WILL remember your verbal abuse. Not clever in a
public place, let's hope she doesn't report you. Do unto others
etc etc... No wonder we have road-rage with people who have
a go whenever it suits them...

So you would rather a child went unrestrained then? And as mentioned she started the verbal abuse - but I sure as hell finsished it.
It makes my blood boil.... - grn
"So you would rather a child went unrestrained then? And as mentioned she started the verbal abuse - but I sure as hell finsished it. "

If we all "helped others" by getting into a heated argument (regardless of who started it - sounds childish just saying those words), then heaven help us.

I cetainly wouldn't inflame the situation as you chose to do.
Your closing words say it all for me. She *may* have been in the wrong, but she sure wasn't alone. You have to accept that your approach did not work and if it made her mad, and she drove off with "red mist" (courtesy of your good self) she could well have had an accident as a result. Interesting concept I feel.

You have
to accept that your approach did not work and if it
made her mad, and she drove off with "red mist" (courtesy
of your good self) she could well have had an accident
as a result. Interesting concept I feel.

That is speculation as I was gone before she came back to her car. But I think there is a far higher liklihood of her kids being belted up afterwards then if I had done nothing, and at least if she had had an accident due to red mist then the kids would have been safer!!!
It makes my blood boil.... - Dynamic Dave

Ok enough please, before you lot make my blood boil and I have to start deleting / editing / making this thread read only. (not necessarily in that order).

DD.
Not worth getting your blood pressure up over it! Dealing with this is what some people we used to have, called traffic police, are for.
"If people want to mess up their lives let them get on with it"

Not really the choice of the little girl though, is it???
Young children don't have a choice, they rely on their parents to make the choice for them and they sometimes get it wrong.
It makes my blood boil.... - local yokel
When we lived in the caves, people who didn't look after their kids didn't get to be grand-parents, so their genes were eradicated from the pool. Darwin worked it out.

Nowadays the self-same people get to have grand-kids when they are in their 30's, which means that by the time they are too old to drive they've great-grand kids as well. It's all a plot by the mfrs of those little blue lighting kits you see on Novas and Corsas to ensure that they sell all they can make.
It makes my blood boil.... - Lud
It is possible that the child would not sit by herself. If an adult has a child on her lap, the safe arrangement is to have the adult securely belted in, holding the child firmly outside the belt. This protects but does not injure the child. Of course in the event of a very high-speed impact the child would be at risk, but I feel as I so often do that people are slightly overdoing the respectable attitudes here.

It's an age thing. When I was young there was no health and safety stuff and half the world was trying to kill the other half. You could still play contact sports competitively at school. And what an utter bunch of savages we were compared to the thoughtful, courteous folk one meets today!
It makes my blood boil.... - P.Mason {P}
Last week I was on the pavement outside my house in Petersfield. A car drove past with the woman passenger, a four-month old baby on her lap, but with the strap over the baby's chest. I wasn't quick enough to get the reg. no. so couldn't report them..I shudder to think of the injury that would have been caused to the baby in a shunt, or even heavy braking.
Driver and passenger must have been brain dead...
P.
It makes my blood boil.... - Hamsafar
The child acts as a sacraficial crunchbag, what happens is the addult moves forward, and the airbag if fitted explodes into the child crushing it. If there is no airbag, the child will be crunched against the dashboard. The adult is using the child as a cushion in the event of an accident.
Not very nice, but the child will probably end up like the parent but worse anyway. I wouldn't get worked up about it, 30 years ago, it would have been perfectly normal behaviour - what's changed apart from your perception?
30 years ago, it would have been perfectly normal behaviour
- what's changed apart from your perception?

I love showing people the picture I have of me sat between my mum and dad on a scooter... their normal mode of transport. No helmets and my mum 5 months pregnant with my brother. I was 4 years old :)
It makes my blood boil.... - nortones2
It needs very little speed to cause a fatality in the circumstances you outline, Lud. Of the order of braking hard from say 10-15mph. Assuming no air bag. With an airbag, awful injury to the child could occur at lower speeds. Realise you can't get everyone to see sense, but the driver should be adult enough to make sure all are secured before they drive off. Obviously the traffic police are lacking in impact, as there is so much lack of understanding of basic precautions. Suggest the soaps stage a few gory and tragic examples. Maybe the only way to get through to the couch potato generation.
Actually I hadn't even considered the presence of an airbag. Come to think of it you wouldn't hold a child on your lap if one of those eardrum-smashers and stogie-stuffers-up-your-nose facia bombs might just go off at random. Perish the thought!

It's an age thing. But don't worry, I'm ageing fast. My car has one. Don't dare mess with the steering wheel.
It makes my blood boil.... - Duchess
It is possible that the child would not sit by herself.
If an adult has a child on her lap, the safe
arrangement is to have the adult securely belted in, holding the
child firmly outside the belt. This protects but does not injure
the child. Of course in the event of a very high-speed
impact the child would be at risk, but I feel as
I so often do that people are slightly overdoing the respectable
attitudes here.

Lud, this contradicts everything I thought I knew on this subject. Please can you advise any source of this safe method?

It makes my blood boil.... - RichardM
Nowadays the self-same people get to have grand-kids when they are
in their 30's,

20s round here.
It makes my blood boil.... - Roberson
Don't know about your area, but in ours (Tyneside, Northumberland etc) there is a radio campaign running about this very thing. It's like a fly on the wall listen to a mother and very young child?s conversation. The ad puts across that they're only popping around to nans (and thus no seatbelt required) but shortly after the conversation ends, a deep voice over asks "but what if there was an accident" (or similar). After the sound effect of the accident it stresses the need to belt up children no matter how short the journey.

I've had a little look around the THINK road safety webpage and although it doesn't mention this particular ad specifically, It could be a nationwide campaign if they're going to introduce new child safety laws soon.

I think there should be a comeback to government info films and suchlike for things like this.
It makes my blood boil.... - Martin Devon
2 things.

No. 1. Apparently holding a small child in a mere 5 M.P.H. head on impact is like trying to restrain a CWT bag of say cement or something,(DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS MEASURE??) being propelled away from them at a far faster speed than 5 mph. The scientists here will know.

No.2. I, once a day minimum, enter either one of two property's in my van usually with a passenger who will alight and open the gate. They, (the passenger), will ALWAYS unclick their seatbelt prior to stopping. I have tried and tried and tried to get them to see sense, but I am just regarded as a silly old git. These people are not stupid believe me....or are they. I give up.

I have been involved a low speed head on and boy did it hurt....big time.

VBR................MD.
It makes my blood boil.... - L'escargot
You should try and not let anything make your blood boil ~ it's not good for you. Especially when you're driving. You can't cure all of the world's problems. My philosophy is to try and make sure my own house is in order and to leave it at that. I'm not saying I'm always successful though!
--
L\'escargot.
It makes my blood boil.... - Wally Zebon
Our kids have nothing to worry about compared to kids across the pond!

www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217008

Be warned. There is some strong language in this thread. My apologies if it offends anyone, but just read the first post and you'll understand why. {link made non clickable because of this. Copy and paste into your URL address window to view - DD}
It makes my blood boil.... - Bill Payer
Our kids have nothing to worry about compared to kids across
the pond!

That's ace! I'm guessing it's true - it's so ridiculous no-one could have made it up.
"You should try and not let anything make your blood boil".

Okay, maybe saying that was a bit over the top. I was disgusted that someone should have such little regard for the life of their child.

At the end of the day, it's the choice of the parent - until of course they get stopped by the police and see the error of their ways. Just cannot believe that some people have such little common sense.
It makes my blood boil.... - BazzaBear {P}
No. 1. Apparently holding a small child in a mere
5 M.P.H. head on impact is like trying to restrain a
CWT bag of say cement or something,(DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS MEASURE??)
being propelled away from them at a far faster speed than
5 mph. The scientists here will know.

So, restraining a child at a certain speed is as hard as restraining something heavier at a higher speed?
From my lay-person understanding of momentum, I choose to believe that that is rubbish.
It makes my blood boil.... - MoodyGit
I call it natural selection.

Removal of a few thickos from the gene pool can't be a bad thing
>>
So, restraining a child at a certain speed is as hard
as restraining something heavier at a higher speed?
From my lay-person understanding of momentum, I choose to believe that
that is rubbish.

So would any rational person BB, but unfortunately this is an area where rationality may be neglected or even frowned on. I remember LJK Setright grumbling on one occasion about those 'Child on board' notices in the back windows of cars. They were pointless, he said, unless it was universally acknowledged that children's lives were somehow more 'sacred' than anyone else's, a patent absurdity. When I read this I thought: yeah, but it isn't going to win the old beardie any friends...

Whenever I see a 'child on board' notice I think: Yeah, probably driving.
>Whenever I see a 'child on board' notice I think: Yeah, probably driving.

Remeber a sketch from Alas Smith and Jones - camera zoomed onto a moving car with "Child on board" sticker in rear-window, and then pans to tow-rope behind car, at the end of which is a baby strapped to a skateboard.

Well I thought it was funny, at the time.

I get my coat....
It makes my blood boil.... - BazzaBear {P}
Sorry, I was only arguing the science. I would still agree that having a child in a car without proper restraints is a pretty terrible decision to make.
It makes my blood boil.... - apm
Many years ago, a friend of mine had a 'child on board' sticker on the back of his 50cc motorbike (Suzuki TS50X). That, along with the 'L' plate stuck to the back of his crash helmet, didn't help his case when he was stopped by the police!

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Sorry, I was only arguing the science. I would still agree
that having a child in a car without proper restraints is
a pretty terrible decision to make.

Not ideal perhaps, but 'terrible'? I just don't buy it. Seat belts and airbags are quite recent developments. Were my parents 'terrible' and irresponsible because they let me go in cars as a child? I think not.

This extremist type of safety consciousness seems to result from people internalising all the road-safety propaganda stuff (as they do with speed limits: you know where you are with a speed limit, it's an absolute). Actually they feel any driving is dangerous, it makes them feel guilty, and those they deem to be behaving 'irresponsibly' serve as their scapegoats, to be despised and sworn at.

There's no way of eliminating all risk. Even if you stay in bed the house may fall on you. You can reduce the risks by driving carefully, whether or not there are nippers rolling around loose in the car.
I remember watch a car safety programme - the premise was that all the safety kit and regs makes some accidents far worse, as people feel too safe for the conditions. One professional said that the best device he could think of was a 6" spike on the centre of the steering wheel - the idea being that you know how much it would hurt if you did something stupid!

I noticed how much better my driving became after I passed my HGV 3 - you need to be much more aware when driving a 16T vehicle with no acceleration.
Whenever I see a 'child on board' notice I think: Yeah,
probably driving.

I think "It must be uncomfortable for the child to have to sit on a board." ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
It makes my blood boil.... - Martin Devon
>> No. 1. Apparently holding a small child in a
mere
>> 5 M.P.H. head on impact is like trying to restrain
a
>> CWT bag of say cement or something,(DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS
MEASURE??)
>> being propelled away from them at a far faster speed
than
>> 5 mph. The scientists here will know.
>>
So, restraining a child at a certain speed is as hard
as restraining something heavier at a higher speed?
From my lay-person understanding of momentum, I choose to believe that
that is rubbish.

Can't fault that Bazza. IIRC (for a change!!) I believe it was to get through to some people the reality of the thing. It was a long time ago. I am going to lay down now. Sorry. I must train harder.

MD.
5 M.P.H. head on impact is like trying to restrain a
CWT bag of say cement or something,(DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS MEASURE??)

I do, and I would think that most people born before they started to bring in these newfangled metric units will remember the cwt! And most of us oldies can converse in both imperial and metric units. So there!
--
L\'escargot.
It makes my blood boil.... - commerdriver
If I remember right a CWT was 112 LBS or 1792 OZ
OZZEs LBS and CWTs happy days!
Of course in those days it wasn't considered so normal for a 5 year old child to weigh 50kg or 112lb...
It makes my blood boil.... - deepwith
Lud, when you see Child on Board you should think "there goes a driver who is hormonal, hasn't slept in three months and is more than demented with the screaming/fighting/throwing up in the back - think I'll drop back a bit further" - I know I do.

Proper restraint of children won't happen while parents have little awareness of consequences. I spent some years involved in a special needs Opportunity Group. Twice a week a BMW driving mum collected her children from the playgroup next door and drove off with them standing between the seats. This was after she had sat and watched, with distaste, us carrying our sickly and often physically disabled children out. It never dawned on her that a quick shunt and her perfect children could be joining us. One dad even took his small son over to show her what can happen after a minor accident but he was just 'scaremongering'.
Deepwith, of course no one sane would want children to be put in unnecessary danger, and I take your point that quite minor incidents can sometimes have tragic long-term consequences.

But it's all too easy to imagine the sort of things that can happen to car passengers of all sizes, and get into a state of anxiety about it. A lot of this thread has been about someone's overreaction following the displacement of this anxiety onto a woman motorist deemed to be irresponsible.

A number of posts have said emphatically that this overreaction had involved bad behaviour and would not have been helpful. Others that we are not entitled to order people about just because we don't like the way they have loaded their cars.

I agree with those posts. As for the children of these insouciant parents, one just has to hope they won't come to harm. And usually, as a matter of fact, they don't.
It makes my blood boil.... - deepwith
Lud, Sorry about poor posting - was only the first para to you re child on board signs - which should read "demented driver on board" - agree with everything you say. :-))