1994 1.5TD How to adjust handbrake ? - crazylegs
My handbrake goes right to the top when I pull it up and still its not stopping the car when stationary, I have to leave it in gear to make sure it doesn't move.

Any advice on adjusting the handbrake would be much appreciated...

I'm not a machanic but know a little so keep it simple..

Edited by Pugugly on 26/07/2008 at 19:33

1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - topbloke

Edited by topbloke on 25/07/2008 at 23:45

1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - crazylegs
Topbloke left a message but I can't see it..
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - Dynamic Dave
Looks like he deleted his message after composing it - hence the edit.
C'mon guys

Just a little help needed here, do I adjust from inside the car under the rubber or underneath the car itself, or can I adjust from the wheels themselves at or around the brake pad drum area..

Just need a few pointers thats all..
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - Chrome
Crazylegs

This can only be considered a general piece of advice but given your lack of brake system knowledge I would advise you to take your Corsa to a garage or even one of the tyre outfits as duff brakes can kill you/your passengers/other road users! It really sounds like your brakes are shot if the handbrake will not hold the car at all, no amount of adjustment will sort this out IMO, the car most likely needs new brake components..............
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - caine
Sorry,lost it a bit back there.Jack it and support it high,Follow cbl's forward,tucked awkwardly between exhaust almost covered by heat shield and just visable is the adjuster.if its not there then centre consul.I'd be asking the guy who fitted it though,how come he did'nt adjust it in the first place?
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - zookeeper
cant you adjust the handbrake from inside the car? just behind the handbrake isnt there a covering that can be removed ( between the front seats) then give it a bit of 10 mm till it takes up the slack?
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - Victorbox
To further backup Chrome's good advice - when my old Mk3 Cavalier was down on braking ability via the handbrake, it was because the metal cable guide just to the rear of the handbrake lever under the car had pulled off with metal fatigue & needed welding back on to restore the handbrake.
Thanks for the advice but the cable is a new one just a few months old and will stretch as it beds in, also its had new shoes aswell so after they had all bedded in theres bound to be some slack..

I just needed to adjust that slack and thats why I was asking in the first place..
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - Screwloose

New cables don't stretch that much and shoes self-adjust; take the given advice and get a competent person to inspect your brakes - there's clearly something very wrong here.
1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - caine
I could not even begin to guess how many rear brakes/hand brakes I've worked on over the decades,So I've been around the block as they say.But having just done the job your refering to yesterday I'd have to say it's amongst the most awkward sodding pains I can recall.From bleeding soild drums that dont want to come off through rusted solid springs to seized cable adjusters I've admited defeat and orderd basically everything inside the drum sans cyl from main dealer for mon.Normal day I can wizz through a set of rear shoes in less than a half hour .This muther took 90 mins for one side "and" had to resort to slide hammer then" puller".Not fun.This problem was created by good folks just tightening the handbrake cable ,rather than fixing the self adjusters..sorry for rant.Understand your position,but previous respondants 100%spot on.The next one I see might just be told to go to pink fluffy dice..

Edited by Webmaster on 26/07/2008 at 19:40

1994 1.5TD How to adjust Handbrake - yorkiebar
Most likely uts the self adjusters (on the shoes) not adjusting !

Slacken the cable so the handbrake not working at all. Adjust the brake shoe auto adjusters manually until you can just slide the drum on (assuming no lip etc), then press the brake pedal firmly several times to hope it takes up any final adjustment.

Then AND ONLY THEN re adjust the cable to obtain a good handbrake.

Fairly standard procedure on any older car with auto adjusters !

hth
Many thanks for all your input guys..