2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - galileo

Son's Astra (90,000 miles) went into the garage after loss of power, suspecting head gasket.

Investigation shows camshaft deeply grooved, suspect other key parts also FUBAR and a fresh engine is required. (Ebay has one for about £1280).

He is currently using a (genuine) 40,000 mile Ford Ka which his brother was planning to sell, valued at £ 2500 - 3000,

if I were him I'd buy the Ka and sell the non-running Astra. ( He commutes 40 miles each way so the Ka would have lower running costs).

I would appreciate opinions as to which option is likely to be best.

2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - elekie&a/c doctor
These Astra J models don’t have a good reliability record for their engines. I’d wave it goodbye, and take the Ka
2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - SLO76
The second hand engine trade are notoriously shady. I’d take the Ka and bin the Astra too. The Ka uses the final version of the old Yamaha designed Zetec SE motor which has a very good rep for reliability so it’ll make a very decent little commuter.
Later model Ka will be the re-badged Fiat 500 . Perfectly fine, 1.2 Fire engine.
2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - SLO76
Later model Ka will be the re-badged Fiat 500 . Perfectly fine, 1.2 Fire engine.

The final 5dr Ka wasn’t based on the 500. Though at this money it would be a bit of a bargain if it was one.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/04/2024 at 18:32

That’ll be the Ka + . Built in India. Also known as the Ford Figo

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 26/04/2024 at 18:46

2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - galileo
The second hand engine trade are notoriously shady. I’d take the Ka and bin the Astra too. The Ka uses the final version of the old Yamaha designed Zetec SE motor which has a very good rep for reliability so it’ll make a very decent little commuter.

SLO and elekie, with my opinion backed up by your advice, the lad has now bought the Ka from his brother and the Astra is to be disposed of for best price he can get. Many thanks!

2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - FoxyJukebox
Sell-What are We Buy Any Car offering-polish it up , vac it out…see what they offer?
2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - Adampr

Probably sell the Astra, but I wouldn't want to do 80 miles a day in a Ka. If he's happy with the La, sell the Astra. If not, it's slightly harder. In may case, I agree that buying a second hand engine is not going to be the way to go.

2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - bathtub tom

Why did the Astra fail? Lack of checking fluid levels? If so, the Ka could suffer similarly.

2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - Metropolis.
There are many variables obviously, but all else being equal a turbocharged engine will use more oil than a naturally aspirated engine, so maybe the KA stands a better chance - if I am correct in my assumption that it isn’t turbocharged.
2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - Big John
but all else being equal a turbocharged engine will use more oil than a naturally aspirated engine,

Why does a well running/ maintained turbocharged engine use more oil? My 120k miles 2014 Skoda turbo 1.4tsi uses negligible between 9.5k services., likewise with my previous Skoda turbo 2003 1.9pd. I had a problem with oil consumption with my old 2001 Skoda Octavia 1.416v (N/A) which was a blockage in the oil breather system - cheaply sorted,

I've had a mixture of turbo & N/A engines over the years and have not really noticed a difference in oil consumption. The best was a Saab 9000cs Light Pressure Turbo that did a huge mileage without any mechanical issues - horrible for long term rust though but I don't think a turbo affects that. Amazing seats!

For me worst engine for oil consumption was a 1300 pre crossflow Ford Cortina mkII.

Edited by Big John on 27/04/2024 at 00:12

2015 Astra 1.4 turbo - Replace engine or sc*** - daveyjp

Add the Astra to the pile next to a freind's 1.4T Mokka which also has a dead engine.

It suffered problems before it went bang including the AA misdiagnosing a failed water pump. Suspicion is head gasket failure leading to terminal failure.