Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - BlankBlank
I am looking for a reliable car and hoping to keep it for a long time. Ideally low and cheap maintenance. The car that is always mentioned for its reliability is the Yaris. I also like the new look of them.

However, now onto my concern is the battery issues which I’ve read online, it seems to be common. I drive twice a week usually. I am not sure if hybrid would be the right choice especially since I don’t drive often and I do not know if this will degrade the battery. But I like Yaris for its reliability and safety car.

Another question I have is that the majority of Yaris I have seen that are 21 plates have only done 7-12k mileage. I normally like low mileage on cars but would this be considered an issue with it being a hybrid?

I have also seen they do 10 year warranty and battery 15 year warranty. But I’m just not sure as with warranties they have such small lettering for what is under warranty. Is the warranty a more of a “gimmick”?

The yaris ticks all the boxes except the battery issue. I live in a remote area where public transport is lacking.

I am looking for automatic and open to other car suggestions if Yaris isn’t the best choice for me

Edited by BlankBlank on 06/04/2024 at 10:16

Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - badbusdriver

However, now onto my concern is the battery issues which I’ve read online, it seems to be common. I drive twice a week usually. I am not sure if hybrid would be the right choice especially since I don’t drive often and I do not know if this will degrade the battery.

Shouldn't be any problems with the battery if driving twice a week.

It isn't uncommon for folk who don't know much about cars to be fixated by low miles when in fact, in most cases, it isn't actually good for the car. But in this case, I wouldn't worry about it because on short journeys the car will be running on electric probably 50+% of the time.

Be aware that the 10 year warranty is only of the car is serviced by a Toyota dealer.

But for your usage, a Yaris hybrid sounds like the ideal car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 06/04/2024 at 10:22

Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - BlankBlank
I did think low mileage was preferred but for a hybrid it would be the opposite as it wouldn’t give the battery a chance to charge?

I’ve just read how common 12v battery issue is in hybrids and people don’t drive it often. So it feels a little silly for me to buy a car knowing this issue. Sorry if I am stating the obvious but I really don’t know what to do. I am tired of issue after issues. I just want a reliable car with low and cheap maintenance which is the Yaris. But the battery is my biggest concern.
Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - Metropolis.
Yes.
Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - Xileno

If you're worried abut the battery issue then maybe get one of the last non-hybrid Yaris?

Not sure how much of a problem the batteries is, on the web one tends to only hear of problem cases.

Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - badbusdriver

I did think low mileage was preferred but for a hybrid it would be the opposite as it wouldn’t give the battery a chance to charge?

The battery on a Yaris self charging hybrid is very small, only 0.76kWh*. This is deliberately so in order that it charges and discharges very quickly. Basically any time you slow down to stop, even from 20 or 30mph, it will take on enough charge for you to set off under electric power (maybe not in sub zero temperatures though). Obviously it wont go very far on electric power, but that is why these cars are so suitable for someone doing mainly urban running, because you are slowing down so often.

I said earlier the car would be running electric 50+% of the time, that may be pessimistic, certainly in the summer. I watched a YT clip a while ago on the Renault Clio self charge hybrid being run for an hour or so in urban conditions. At the end, the car had been running electric only about 85% of the time with an actual economy of something like 85mpg.

All I can say is that if I was in your situation, I'd consider a Yaris hybrid the best option. But if it concerns you that much, buy something that isn't a hybrid.

*For some context as to how small that is, the battery on my ebike is slightly larger at 0.768kWh!

Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - corax

The 12V battery on the hybrid runs the ancillaries and is smaller than a conventional car battery. If you don't drive often enough, it will not get charged sufficiently to work properly. It's easily solved by using a smart charger say once a month to keep it topped up. You can fit a permanent connection lead to the battery for convenience with the wire tucked away (or get the dealer to do this), so that when you need to charge it, you just plug the charger into the socket on the other end of the lead.

Considering that the rest of the car is very reliable, it's not really a big issue. You just have to decide whether your useage suits a hybrid, otherwise go for a conventional model as mentioned.

Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - Chris M

A neighbour has a three year old RAV4 hybrid which I assume is the same technology, but beefed up. It's used most days. Last summer they spent three weeks in Florida. Fortunately they didn't use it to get to the airport, but on their return, it was as dead as a Dodo.

If the OP is likely to not use the Yaris for several weeks, it's something to bear in mind, especially if those weeks are spent in an airport car park.

Toyota Yaris - Should I buy a Toyota Yaris hybrid (2020-present)? - skidpan

We took delivery of a new Yaris 2 1/2 weeks ago and at the time of order I was fully aware of the potential issue with the 12V battery. But having read the website and the on-line handbook it was clear that the solution was simple enough but you could argue that in 2024 it should not be necessary to do this.

Wife's cousin is on her 2nd Mk4 Yaris Hybrid and uses the car very day most short trips, never had an issue in 4 years.

As for ours its never likely to be used every day and some weeks it may not get used at all. We have a modern smart battery charger and we intend to use it every 2 weeks to give the car a boost. Did it on Thursday for the first time, it was simple. Whilst the battery is inaccessible Toyota kindly provide a live in the fuse box and a suggested earth on a engine mount and we used those, took about 5 hours charging at 4 amps for it to show "FUL" (obviously the manufacturer is not in this country), simple. For belt and braces I bought a battery booster from Aldi (on offer for £40) which will be kept in the car, it connects to the same points you use to charge, simple again.

In the handbook Toyota detail "ready" mode which can be used to charge the battery and they recommend owners to use it weekly if the car is not in regular use. Simply turn car on to "ready" mode with the car in park and leave it for approx. an hour, engine will run when needed and turn off when its not, no need to sit in the car. But how on earth is it possible for owners without secure parking to use this feature, if you park on the road surely its illegal and how likely is it the car will still be there an hour later.

As for the car itself its very good. The Fabia was always going to be hard act to follow but so far I think this is a perfect replacement. The CVT is without doubt the best I have used, its actually superior to any TC auto I have driven and better than a DSG in any none PHEV application (a DSG in a mild hybrid Golf was better than others as well). Even in "enthusiastic" use its not screamed at me yet but as it gest miles on and I get more "enthusiastic" it may show its true colours. Simple fact is in normal use its near perfect. But have to say the 6 speed DSG in the Superb PHEV is still better, just like the fact it actually changes gear.