Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - leaseman

The daughter of a friend "likes the colour" of this car for sale on a used car dealer forecourt for £12,995.

Registered in September 2016 and described as full service history (yet to be confirmed regarding how full and evidence available). Current mileage displayed as 27,936 is backed up by the last 5 MOT's with tyre wear advisory shown on the last one. Otherwise nothing whatsoever apart from a rectified misaligned headlight which I need to investigate.

I have no experience of this motor and would appreciate any heads-up on belt details etc.in order for me to give some advice, other than my opinion of the colour!

Thanks in advance.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - Adampr

It's a Renault Mégane. Make of that what you will. It sounds like a decent car at a reasonable price, but don't expect the pinnacle.of German engineering!

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - Adampr

Assuming it's this one, I don't like the colour.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402056234972

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - elekie&a/c doctor
The W 176 chassis range A class is a pretty good car . As already mentioned, it’s a Renault power train . Cam belt is 10years or 120 k miles . Just check that everything works with no warning lights showing, especially the airbag system. Auto shifter on the right of the steering column takes a bit of getting used to . Also check for damp in the boot and the rear seat areas. These suffer with the cabin air extraction vents falling apart and allowing water ingress.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - Dave N
Renault say belt change at 6 years for the 1.5dci.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - SLO76
I personally don’t rate them. It’s an old Renault engine and reliability wise they’re no better than the equivalent but much cheaper French car. I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium for one thinking it was actually a Merc. That said, it’s actually a fairly robust engine but they are prone to timing belt failures so I’d pay to have it changed or try to get the seller to do so before buying. Do the water pump at the same time.

As with any modern diesel engine there’s plenty that can go wrong and if someone has misfuelled it at some point this can destroy the engine. A colleague at work bought a Dacia Duster with the same engine and this happened, fortunately the warranty company paid for a used engine and fitting however.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - elekie&a/c doctor
Interestingly , MB dealers actually regard this engine as the most reliable of their whole model range .
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - SLO76
Interestingly , MB dealers actually regard this engine as the most reliable of their whole model range .

Says plenty about the standards of modern Mercedes products when an old Renault van engine is superior.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - badbusdriver

Low mileage on a modern DPF equipped diesel is not desirable, quite the opposite. DPF problems can and will happen through never having proper regens. With this in mind, buying an 8 year old diesel with 30k miles is (IMO) madness.

I also don't think very much of the A Class, but whatever your daughters friend buys, it should be a petrol unless likely to be covering at least 12k per annum. Even then, if buying 2nd hand, you've no idea what kind of a state the DPF is currently in. If the DPF is already well clogged up, there could be a large bill coming iminently.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - leaseman

Many thanks to all for the info. It will assist in dissuading her, especially as I now learn of her intended mileage and usage.

Cheers. Leaseman

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - 2016 Mercedes 180 1.5D Sport with very low mileage - edlithgow
I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium for one thinking it was actually a Merc.

I'd guess other people who wouldn't do that might still pay a premium for other other people thinking it was actually a Merc

Otherwise no raison d'etre, as nieman would buy one.