Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - Bernadette Grannon

Currently driving a 2010 1.2 16v Renault Clio

Looking for a new car. I mainly drive to work in an urban area, but I like to get out and about on country lanes, A roads and the occasional motorway journey. The Clio has held it's own. Looking for my next car and would appreciate any advice please. Don't shout but petrol and manual is my ideal choice between 4 and 3 years old. Thanks

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - mcb100
If you’ve liked your current Clio, there’s nothing wrong with replacing it with a newer one.
Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - badbusdriver

Dfficult to make any suggestions without a budget?.

Also whether you want a similar sized car, SUV/Crossover etc?

Hi thanks for the reply. I want to keep my car small as there is only me in it. Cost wise I have a 12k budget

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - SLO76
Much depends on budget, but the Mazda 2 1.5 petrol is an excellent small hatchback that’s reliable and fun to drive. The Suzuki Swift is another wee gem. The Ford Fiesta is good fun on a twisty b road, and reliable if you stick with the robust 1.25 petrol motor - don’t touch the 1.0 ecoboost no matter what any sales person tells you.

I personally wouldn’t bother with the newer Clio, they’re not well made and the engines aren’t particularly robust other than the elderly 1.2 non-turbocharged petrol, but that struggles with the heavier new shape body. No offence intended. They eat wheel bearings and suffer loads of electrical faults too.

The Toyota Yaris is great, but not so much fun to drive.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/03/2024 at 21:45

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - mcb100
‘The Ford Fiesta is good fun on a twisty b road, and reliable if you stick with the robust 1.25 petrol motor - don’t touch the 1.0 ecoboost no matter what any sales person tells you.’

I think the 1.25 was phased out in 2017, making it older than the OP is looking for.
Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - SLO76
‘The Ford Fiesta is good fun on a twisty b road, and reliable if you stick with the robust 1.25 petrol motor - don’t touch the 1.0 ecoboost no matter what any sales person tells you.’ I think the 1.25 was phased out in 2017, making it older than the OP is looking for.

Yes, but a 2017 1.25 will live far longer than a later Ecoboom 1.0. I’d recommend the older car.

Thanks for the reply. Will take a look ??

Edited by Bernadette Grannon on 17/03/2024 at 10:37

Thanks for the advise and suggestions. The Yaris is on my list to test drive

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - FiestaOwner

I'd recommend a VW group car with their excellent 1.0 TSI engine. Just make sure it is a TSI engine, and not the non turbo 1.0. Thinking of the Škoda Fabia, SEAT Ibiza or the VW Polo. I own a 4 year old Seat Ibiza myself.

Examples:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402196731058

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402276990519

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401205727579

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402216784135

Thank you so much. Really appreciate the links and suggestions

Edited by Bernadette Grannon on 17/03/2024 at 10:38

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - Adampr

There is a case to be made for pretty much every small car. What is it you like and dislike about the Clio? Do you need four seats? Why do you particularly want a manual?

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - catsdad

The rouble is that small automatics command a premium over manuals. In part this is due to young drivers increasingly taking auto only tests. Add in the problematic automated manuals and the OP is probably better off with a manual.

Personal preference. In my 50's and always driven a small car that's manual

Renault Clio - Looking for recommendations for my next car - badbusdriver

If you want something of a similar size to your Clio, I'd echo FiestaOwner's recommendation of a VAG car with the excellent 1.0TSI engine. Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza will offer best value for money, VW Polo and Audi A1 are both available with the same engine but will be either older for the same money of more expensive for the same age. The engine is available with two power outputs, 94 or 110bhp, both will offer much more pep than your Clio.

Another option well worth consideration is the Suzuki Swift with the 1.0 Boosterjet (turbo, like the VAG cars). These are very reliable and very spritely as a result of being very light. There is also a Swift Sport with a 1.4 turbo if you wanted even more pep, later versions of these are mild hybrid and should just about be in budget.

Another couple of options if you were to consider something smaller. VW Up GTI is well within budget range here and uses the same 1.0TSI (albeit with 115bhp) as the other VAG suggestions, but in a smaller and lighter package. Also, the current shape Hyundai i10 is just within budget with the 1.0 turbo engine, while there probably won't be many to choose from, you may get lucky and find one reasonably local.