Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - csgmart

I collected my used 2018 Jaguar F-Type convertible from a Jaguar dealership on Friday and have just spotted that the rear bumper has been repainted at some point in the past and the paint is flaking off in several areas.

I pride myself on being able to spot bodywork issues but in this case I failed miserably (I'm getting on a bit now and my eyes clearly ain't what they used to be).

Do I have any legal basis for making a claim against the dealer to get the bumper resprayed at their cost or is it a case of tough luck for me and I should have paid more attention?

I will be contacting them on Monday with some photos of the paint issues but I would like to know whether I am relying on their goodwill or if I can press them harder to resolve this issue because the law is on my side.

My preference is to get someone I trust to repaint the bumper and get the dealer to pick up the bill but that might not be an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Adampr

I think you're relying on goodwill here. As you say, it wasn't hidden, you just missed it. Personally, presuming it's a plastic bumper, I'd leave it unless the dealer does it for free. Somebody is bound to hit it again.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - csgmart

I think you're relying on goodwill here. As you say, it wasn't hidden, you just missed it. Personally, presuming it's a plastic bumper, I'd leave it unless the dealer does it for free. Somebody is bound to hit it again.

Much as I thought, sadly.

I am going to get the car ceramic coated (and detailed prior to this) but I need to bumper to be resprayed before all this. The detailer can organise this but I'm a bit peeved at having to pay for it. Lesson learned the hard way.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - elekie&a/c doctor
As it’s come from a main dealer, I would it expect it to be reasonably presented, even though it’s 6 years old . Guess it’s had a cheap smart repair to cover the imperfections. I’d contact the sales manager and ask for his opinion. Worth a call .
Worth a call .

I agree. Thank you.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Xileno

If they say no then they might possibly reconsider if you suggest paying for part of the repair. Again, worth a try.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Manatee

Was it sold as "approved used" by a Jaguar dealer?

If so start by requesting that they bring it up to standard.
used.jaguar.co.uk/why-approved-used

Paintwork is mentioned here as part of the 165 point inspection. Clearly they have overlooked it!

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Terry W

It's a six year old car with a bit of flaking paint - I suspect minor or it would have been evident on even a cursory inspection. It is a non-critical plastic part that won't ever rust and may easily pick up further blemishes through normal use.

If it bothers you. try the dealer who sold it for a goodwill fix, or pay to get it resprayed.

IMHO it is normal wear and tear for a six year old car, hardly worth bothering about, and a claim that the dealer would reasonably reject.

IMHO it is normal wear and tear for a six year old car, hardly worth bothering about, and a claim that the dealer would reasonably reject.

With respect it is worth bothering about.

Was it sold as "approved used" by a Jaguar dealer?

If so start by requesting that they bring it up to standard.
used.jaguar.co.uk/why-approved-used

Paintwork is mentioned here as part of the 165 point inspection. Clearly they have overlooked it!

It was indeed. Thank you. I hadn't realised their checks included paint too so that's a bit of a bonus.

I'll send them some pictures and see what they say.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Chris M

Think I'd go back in person today and tell them how pleased you are with the car but that the shine (literally) had been taken off when you spotted the paint issue. You are so disappointed. Take a trowel with you if it needs laying on any thicker.

If they want to keep you as a customer, they should hold their hands up.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - skidpan

I resume from that statement you bought it from some distance away. If so did you actually see it before buying? If you didn't and they claimed it was A1 and is approved Jaguar that would be your get out of jail free card. Simply reject it and hope they agree to do the work.

Edited by skidpan on 11/03/2024 at 09:16

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Andrew-T

<< Simply reject it and hope they agree to do the work. >>

Marks on the rear bumper of a 6-y-o car can't be grounds for 'rejection'. As this came from a franchised dealer (and you didn't spot the blemish) I think you might reasonably ask them to deal with it, while hoping that there is some goodwill available. I doubt it would cost them much (or you for that matter) so just go along and be friendly.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Manatee

>>Simply reject it and hope they agree to do the work.

That's your lever if you are still in the 30 day exchange period.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - skidpan

>>Simply reject it and hope they agree to do the work.

That's your lever if you are still in the 30 day exchange period.

OP says it was collected Friday 8th March.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Terry W

I wish you every success in pursuing the dealer for a remedy, but note the following link to The car I bought has a problem what are my rights - Which?

Includes the following:

You have no legal right to reject a car purely because you’ve changed your mind, and cosmetic issues or minor faults that were brought to your attention before the sale or could have been identified through a reasonable inspection will not give you grounds to complain and seek a remedy.

You must consider the age, price, mileage, description applied and all other relevant circumstances when trying to decide whether the vehicle is of satisfactory quality.

ou have no legal right to reject a car purely because you’ve changed your mind, and cosmetic issues or minor faults that were brought to your attention before the sale or could have been identified through a reasonable inspection will not give you grounds to complain and seek a remedy.

My point being that "approved used" comes with its own conditions which include a no doubt limited 30 days"approval".

The point of "approved used" is a level of reassurance and in this case it appears a no doubt limited right to reject within a 30 day period.

6 years old it might be but the a reasonable expectation when paying serious money from a Jaguar dealer is that it is not suffering visible damage, cosmetic or otherwise.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Chris M

I'm a little surprised by some of the reactions here.

The OP bought what I would consider a "nice" car from a main dealer. Seems it was "approved" and therefore could be expected to meet a fairly high standard. Maybe I'm naive, but there's no reason why, for starters, a polite approach to the dealer won't get this sorted. I'm sure they get plenty of bolshie, I know my rights, customers, so a reasonable chat may be a pleasant change.

Edited by Chris M on 11/03/2024 at 10:32

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Falkirk Bairn

Presumably chunky money involved £30/£40K - paintwork needs to be an acceptable quality.

Jaguar approved states that on the Jaguar website.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Adampr

The OP bought what I would consider a "nice" car from a main dealer. Seems it was "approved" and therefore could be expected to meet a fairly high standard. Maybe I'm naive, but there's no reason why, for starters, a polite approach to the dealer won't get this sorted. I'm sure they get plenty of bolshie, I know my rights, customers, so a reasonable chat may be a pleasant change.

Absolutely. The first port of call is to ask them to sort it. As you say, for a £30k car from a main dealer, you would expect them to just get on with it.

I suppose people are just thinking about what happens if they say no. It is Jaguar, after all.

Edited by Adampr on 11/03/2024 at 11:50

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Ian_SW

As it's "Approved Used", just make use of the "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" which is part of that scheme. Effectively this means you can return the car within the first 30 days /1000 miles for any reason you're not satisfied and swap it for something else from their stock.

I've found paintwork issues on an approved used car before (a Seat not a Jaguar but all these approved used schemes are very similar) and it was fixed with no question by the dealer.

Even the slightest suggestion that you might used the return within 30 days option is usually enough for them to bend over backwards to help. It costs them a lot more in terms of money and hassle to put the car back on stock than it does to get their tame paintwork person to come in for a few hours and tidy up the paint on a bumper.

As it's "Approved Used", just make use of the "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" which is part of that scheme. Effectively this means you can return the car within the first 30 days /1000 miles for any reason you're not satisfied and swap it for something else from their stock.

I've found paintwork issues on an approved used car before (a Seat not a Jaguar but all these approved used schemes are very similar) and it was fixed with no question by the dealer.

Even the slightest suggestion that you might used the return within 30 days option is usually enough for them to bend over backwards to help. It costs them a lot more in terms of money and hassle to put the car back on stock than it does to get their tame paintwork person to come in for a few hours and tidy up the paint on a bumper.

Sensible advice - thank you.

I've put a call into the dealer this morning. The sales person I dealt with doesn't work on Monday but I am hoping to speak with someone today if I can.

At the moment I am remaining calm and polite as I just want this issue sorted. Given the approved used scheme offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee I can (as you say) simply say I want it exchanged if they don't want to sort this out to my satisfaction.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Andrew-T

'for any reason you're not satisfied'. There are people who might want to take this literally, which could lead to unpleasant confrontations. It seems in this case an amicable compromise is being reached, so the goodwill supply has not run dry - yet.

As an example, what about the case of a car whose seats turn out to be impossibly uncomfortable after an hour's driving - meaning it was not noticed on a test drive ? I had such a car about 20 years ago and only kept it for a couple of months. I would suggest that might be a more solid reason to 'reject' a car than some untidy paint on a bumper, and perhaps harder for the seller to fix ?

Yes, I must admit I was slightly surprised by some of the advice I was given, although I'm sure it was with good intentions.

I resume from that statement you bought it from some distance away. If so did you actually see it before buying? If you didn't and they claimed it was A1 and is approved Jaguar that would be your get out of jail free card. Simply reject it and hope they agree to do the work.

It's not exactly local but just under an hour drive from where I live. I did inspect the car before purchasing but clearly I missed the paintwork issues. Even so, I would expect a car sold by a dealer (and especially one under the "approved used" Jaguar scheme) to not have flaking paint issues.

The car is white and I think it masks the issue better than a darker colour ever would.

An update.

I reported the issue to the dealer and they have responded positively.

They will either repaint the bumper if I return the vehicle to them or they will consider a quote from my preferred paint shop.

I'm in the process of getting a quote to send to the dealer, which hopefully they will agree to so I can get the work done locally.

At least they aren't being difficult about this and fully accept that the bumper needs to be repainted at their cost.

Jaguar F-Type Convertible - Used car query regarding flaking paint on bumper - Xileno

Great result and thanks for the update.