Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - honestjones

Portugal has been on my travel radar for a while, and I'm starting to think about potentially planning a trip in October next year. The beaches, the food, the history...it all sounds fantastic!

I was hoping to get some insights from folks who have been to Portugal, especially regarding local guides. I am planning to explore Lisbon on my own, as I've read it is a very walkable city. Would you recommend hiring a local guide for other cities or places outside of Lisbon? If so, how did you find yours, and what made the experience valuable?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - Andrew-T

I've been to Portugal several times with small tour groups, but I would hesitate to make any suggestions as so much depends on your personal interests. Why not lash out on a visitor's guide book, which should contain a variety of things.

For instance, in Lisbon go on one of the vintage trams along the shore to Belem, it's pretty popular but worth a visit, as is Sintra. Lisbon is quite a hilly place, so be prepared.

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/03/2024 at 09:31

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - daveyjp

I've been to Lisbon a few times, First time on a cruise and enjoyed it so we then holidayed in Cascais and visited Lisbon twice over the week.

Lisbon is like London and spread out, but public transport is excellent (tram, bus and metro). It has distinct areas which are all walkable in their own right, but you need transport between them. Barro Alto and Old Town, Castle ( very hilly), Belem is a couple of miles along the river, Oriente is more modern, you also need to cross the river for Christ the Redeemer statue (one thing we didn't manage to do),

Cascais is about half an hour by train. Seaside town where the moneyed Lisboans live.

Visited the Algarve last year and unlike most toursts stayed in Faro., Small city, but laid back and well worth a few days. There's a train service to/from Lisbon. I've also been to Vila Real on the Spanish border and driven north beside the river and seen some of the countryside,

Oporto is on my to do list!

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - Orb>>

I have been going to Portugal for 50 years now, since I met a portuguese beauty just before the revolution.

All of the above for Lisbon itself. If you like cakes and pastries lots of shops and cafes.

Train to Sintra, and if you time it a bus from there to Cascais through the countryside. train back to Lisbon.

Visit Setubal. (you'll need a different train pass for this as it is not Portugeuse railways)

Ferry from Cais de Sodre to Cacilhas and wait for the bus or risk a tuk tuk up the hill to the Statue of Christ the King. Worth it for the view.

The four wheeled ones are safer.

Afterwards if you walk along the shore from Calcilhas about 500 metres west there is a restaurant Ponto Final which is very good and reasonable. If you are feeling (very) Flush there is Monte Mar just along slightly west of the Cais de Sodre train/metro station.

If seafood is your thing you are in the right place

If you go to the Jerónimos Monastery go as early as you can, it's a fair walk from the railway station and can be crowded.

Taxi from airport make sure a proper taxi on the meter but the metro is good and cheap.

I never tire of going back to visit, even though we are both married, (both to Doctors and both have two girls) and remain very good friends.

Learn Please and thank you, but most speak english.

Edited by Orb>> on 09/03/2024 at 11:11

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - honestjones

I have been going to Portugal for 50 years now, since I met a portuguese beauty just before the revolution.

All of the above for Lisbon itself. If you like cakes and pastries lots of shops and cafes.

Train to Sintra, and if you time it a bus from there to Cascais through the countryside. train back to Lisbon.

Visit Setubal. (you'll need a different train pass for this as it is not Portugeuse railways)

Ferry from Cais de Sodre to Cacilhas and wait for the bus or risk a tuk tuk up the hill to the Statue of Christ the King. Worth it for the view.

The four wheeled ones are safer.

Afterwards if you walk along the shore from Calcilhas about 500 metres west there is a restaurant Ponto Final which is very good and reasonable. If you are feeling (very) Flush there is Monte Mar just along slightly west of the Cais de Sodre train/metro station.

If seafood is your thing you are in the right place

If you go to the Jerónimos Monastery go as early as you can, it's a fair walk from the railway station and can be crowded.

Taxi from airport make sure a proper taxi on the meter but the metro is good and cheap.

I never tire of going back to visit, even though we are both married, (both to Doctors and both have two girls) and remain very good friends.

Learn Please and thank you, but most speak english.

I appreciate you telling us about your knowledge and advice for traveling around Portugal. Your thoughts on going to places like Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, Setúbal are helpful tips for visitors who want different experiences in Portugal. Your advice about how to travel, which places to see, and where to eat gives a complete overview for someone who is making plans to go on holiday in this lovely nation. Your passion for going back to Portugal again even though so much time has gone by, and many things have changed, really motivates others. Take pleasure in your upcoming trips and keep valuing the memories made in this enchanting place.

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - Andrew-T

You won't need telling that the Portuguese know it as Porto. The O simply means 'the', = The Port, which was established originally to export all the Douro wine for the English market .. !!

Porto is very much a place on two levels, even hillier than Lisbon. If you go there, you have to go upriver too.

'Learn please and thank you' - Portuguese looks very like Spanish (fairly easy to read), but sounds nothing like it. And Thank-you is gender sensitive ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/03/2024 at 11:15

Can be very crowded. Go on the little train along the Douro River, well worth it

Seaside take the tram to Povoa de Varzim for a lovely beach and quieter too but some nice hotels. Tram goes from airport to porto and also to Povoa de varzim.

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - Adampr

Lisbon's great, just enjoy it and don't bother trying to see 'everything'. Last.time were went to Portugal, we stayed in Sintra for a week. Lots of people go on day trips, but we figured why not just stay there and take trips to the beach or Lisbon when we felt like it.

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - Maxime.

www.visitportugal.com/en/node/73754

Don't forget Coimbra.

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - badbusdriver

What I'd most like to see in Portugal is the big waves at Nazare. Not a surfer or particularly interested in the sport, but I would love to witness the awesome power and spectacle of those enormous waves. Getting a good view might be tricky because of it being a surfers Mecca now (YT clips show a huge amount of spectators) and of course it is entirely dependant on the right weather conditions, not sure how accurately that can be predicted?

What I'd most like to see in Portugal is the big waves at Nazare. Not a surfer or particularly interested in the sport, but I would love to witness the awesome power and spectacle of those enormous waves. Getting a good view might be tricky because of it being a surfers Mecca now (YT clips show a huge amount of spectators) and of course it is entirely dependant on the right weather conditions, not sure how accurately that can be predicted?

I have been back to Povoa de Varzim many times, north of Porto and there were good waves for beginner/moderate surfers.

It is also a long beach in very good condition.

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - hojojo

www.visitportugal.com/en/node/73754

Don't forget Coimbra.

Thanks for the recommendation to visit Coimbra, @Maxime. It definitely seems worth exploring with a local guide to provide cultural and historical context. I’ve also read that English is widely spoken in Lisbon but may be a problem with other cities, can anyone confirm that?

In smaller towns and villages there may be less English spken, but you can get an instant translate app on your pone, or a scanner translation app.

If yo do go, try the little railway along the Douro river. ***** stars

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - hojojo

In smaller towns and villages there may be less English spken, but you can get an instant translate app on your pone, or a scanner translation app.

If yo do go, try the little railway along the Douro river. ***** stars

Thank you for sharing this valuable advice on using translation apps for navigating areas where English may not be as prevalent, @Orb>>! It's wonderful how technology can bridge language barriers and enhance travel experiences. That little railway along the Douro sounds amazing, adding it to my list for sure. I might try a blended approach, a few days with a local guide from gowithguide.com/portugal/guides then I’ll explore the rest on my own with the help of translate.google.com/

Portugal Travel Tips: Local Guides & Beyond Lisbon - Steve Matthew

Absolutely! Hiring a local guide can add immense value, especially in cities like Porto or Évora, offering deep insights into their culture and history. Check online platforms or ask your accommodation for recommendations to find a reliable guide tailored to your interests. Enjoy your trip!