60mph speed limits on M1 and M6 to be dropped - bathtub tom

It never really concerned me when I went through them. They didn't increase journey time noticeably although 'bunching' may have been a problem. I don't know if my speed through those sections would have been any higher anyway. I suspect my economy may have improved slightly.

National Highways (NH) say that “ultimately, air quality will be solved ‘at the tailpipe”.

60mph speed limits on M1 and M6 to be dropped - mcb100
(Slightly) tongue in cheek suggestion - remove the restriction for zero emission in use vehicles and leave it lower for the rest…
60mph speed limits on M1 and M6 to be dropped - Engineer Andy

According to the article I read, the NH people had no clue if of how to determine the cause of the reduction in emissions in the 'test' areas - whether due to changes in the usage (speed) alone, or an element of a change in what vehicles are used, or the amount of vehicles.

Typical government / civil service guff - no way of determining success, so either plough on ahead regardless (whilst touting a 'success' the 'new policy' that may have made a negligible difference, if any) or drop it because the cost of finding out would more than outweigh any potential benefits, and would require some brain power to be used.

Rather like 'smart' motorways or LTNs, I think.