Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - csgmart

Every once in a while the brake pedal in my Polo goes spongy. If I immediately release the pedal and reapply it the brakes work just fine.

Front disks and pads are not worn, brake fluid level checked and is to correct level and no obvious signs of a leak. Any thoughts on what might be the cause please?

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - elekie&a/c doctor
Spongy brakes can often be caused by air in the hydraulic system. I would get the system pressure bled and go from there . Also check the flexi hoses have no ballooned .
Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - edlithgow

Intermittent is hard to explain. I'd have thought air in the system would be there all the time and have a constant effect. Likewise a ballooning hose.

One possibility would be boiling brake fluid, which would be intermittent depending on heat input. This would be resolved by changing the brake fluid.

Another might be a possibly damaged seal hanging up or everting occaisionally. This would require a rebuild, and might be hard to find

A third might be a caliper slider jammed most of the time but occaisionally slipping. This would be expected to give you uneven and compromised braking most of the time

Edited by edlithgow on 23/02/2024 at 00:57

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - Big John

As above,

Or - Is the Polo fitted with rear drums? - if so the self adjuster can get crudded up in time then possibly release/slip a bit occasionally and then re adjust up on next brake pedal operation.

Or - ABS gubbins/valves can trap air that's not always obvious, especially if some brake work has been done and correct ABS bleed has not been carried out.

Any hot hubs/disks/drums/calipers after driving?

Whatever - this needs investigating.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2024 at 16:11

Update.

Car was investigated by local mechanic. Brake fluid checked and found to be ok.

Rear brake drums and shoes stripped and adjusted.

They couldn't replicate the problem but it is still an issue.

Earlier today when driving, pedal went soft again and I *think* the ABS kicked in which suggests this is where the problem lies.

Garage said either ABS unit or master cylinder.

Question: how much to replace and will it need recoding to car?

Also wanted to add that no warning lights on dashboard so unsure if it is ABS as I would expect it to throw up an error if faulty?

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - elekie&a/c doctor
Replacement abs unit fitted and coded is about £1k job . Doubt if that’s the problem. Master cylinder more likely and a lot cheaper.
Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - Big John

Have brakes been bled via something like VCDS? There might be air trapped within the abs unit - it can get trapped behind valves etc.

Have brakes been bled via something like VCDS? There might be air trapped within the abs unit - it can get trapped behind valves etc.

I did wonder that too. I assume the garage bled the brakes but whether they used VCDS or similar I do not know. It's going in with by B-i-L next week so I'll ask him to check and if possible sort the problem out.

I hope so too!

Will get my bother in law's garage to investigate and replace as a next step.

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2011 - Brake pedal goes spongy every so often - madf

Master cylinder seals failing. Been there,,,Ford Fiesta.elderly.