How to remove condensation from the windows? - New owner
This must be naive but again just started owning a car. How does one remove the morning condensation formed outside the windows in the morning? I use demist button for the windshield and rear glass and the wiper button helps too but what to do for the windows. Should I keep a microfibre cloth in the car and need to clean the windows in good old fashioned way before setting off?
How to remove condensation from the windows? - RT

Wipers for the front and rear windows - for side windows just put them all down then up again if they're all-electric as most (all?) are these days.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - Andrew-T

As we seem to be discussing exterior condensation, the car's devices for internal clearing will have no effect. I remove one wiper blade and use it as a squeegee all round the car. This is clearly no use for frost, in which case a kettle of warm (not hot) water should be enough to thaw it out for the squeegee.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - Bilboman

Talking of wiper blades... I read in a motoring article many years ago that one of Queen Elizabeth's Land Rovers kept on her Balmoral estate had a rear wiper fitted INSIDE the screen. Apparently it was to clear the condensation emanating from the excitable rear passengers - the royal corgis!

How to remove condensation from the windows? - New owner
Using the automatic windows didn’t occur to me due to cold weather : ) Hope water doesn’t drip inside surfaces or go into the door body electricals when I pull down the glasses completely . Will try next time. I have a small water squeegee in the bathroom for the cabinet mirrors. Can use that as well. Thanks everyone

Edited by New owner on 28/01/2024 at 11:06

How to remove condensation from the windows? - bathtub tom
Using the automatic windows didn’t occur to me due to cold weather : ) Hope water doesn’t drip inside surfaces or go into the door body electricals when I pull down the glasses completely .

The doors are designed to have water dripping into them, that's why they have drain holes at the bottom. Water will get into your doors every time it rains.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - badbusdriver

The demise button will also direct air at the front side windows to clear them too. Shouldn't be too much of a problem unless wet carpets or water getting in somewhere.

But you can buy a rain x product (which you can get online or your nearest Halfords) which will stop condensation forming. Just be sure to follow the instructions and do not apply it to cold and/or damp glass. Shaving foam will also work, though I've never tried it personally. Look on YouTube, absolutely tons of things to try!

Edit, Sorry, missed the part about it being the outside of the glass, doh!. Get a small rubber blade for window cleaning and give the side windows a wipe before you leave.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/01/2024 at 09:34

How to remove condensation from the windows? - corax

Like Andrew-T I use a squeegee blade kept in the door pocket. It's quick and you don't end up with a wet cloth that needs to dry out.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - gordonbennet

Silicon (better than rubber) squeegee, keep an old spray bottle filled with clean water to give the windows a quick blast before squeegeeing if its not freezing.

Clearing dirty windows by lowering the windows as described above will soon result in some heavily scored glass...you'll hear the almost diamond effect glass cutting screeching as it happens as the windows lower past the deeply encrusted grit that builds up on the seal at the top of the doorskin.

During some wet weather when those muck in those seals will be soft it can pay to lower the windows and wipe the muck clear of the seals with old cloths, you'll be amazed at the grime that comes out.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - mcb100
Front windows down, front windows up. Job jobbed.
The airflow will clear the rear side glass pretty quickly.
How to remove condensation from the windows? - Bromptonaut

Both our cars have a small squeegee with a rubber or similar blade. IIRC they were sold in the middle aisle of a supermarket and intended for use in the shower.

Like GB I also keep a spray bottle of clean water in the car to wash side windows/mirrors when they get splattered on muddy/salty roads.

The RainX stuff is also brilliant for side windows but don't put it anywhere on the front screen that's swept by wipers - it makes smears far worse.

Problem I get at this time of year is condensation inside. Car, sat in the sun all day, warms up like a glasshouse. As soon as sun goes down and temperature drops moisture condenses on the inside. Heat and aircon usually shift it quickly enough but of the car ships water and you get a ton of water on there and it freezes you can be stuck for a while. My old Xantia was like that for a while as rain water was getting into the boot via the tail hatch and soaking the carpet.

Now I work at home I try to crack the windows open during the day so as to let the warm moist aire out.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - Manatee

>>The demise button will also direct air at the front side windows to clear them

Whatever you do, don't press the demise button.

One of those shower squeegees seems a good idea if opening and closing the windows does give a satisfactory result.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - sandy56

Assuming you have air conditioning, just leave the A/C on all the time. using ?A/C is the best way to keep condensation under control. Leave the A/C on all the time.

Edited by sandy56 on 08/02/2024 at 11:37

Assuming you have air conditioning, just leave the A/C on all the time. using ?A/C is the best way to keep condensation under control. Leave the A/C on all the time.

A/C can't do much about the external glass - which is what the OP was talking about IIRC ?

How to remove condensation from the windows? - honestjones

For the side windows, I have a wide silicone squeegee - the wider, the better! This way, I can clean them in only two passes.

For the side windows, I have a wide silicone squeegee - the wider, the better! This way, I can clean them in only two passes.

And then you need a very narrow one for the external mirrors ....

How to remove condensation from the windows? - Ethan Edwards

If you have excessive condensation in the car in the mornings.. Make sure you don't have a water leak inside. Feel the carpets , seats etc. Damp is one thing sodden is quite another. I've found dried up seals around rear light clusters letting water into the boot etc.

How to remove condensation from the windows? - Brit_in_Germany

The question raised was how to deal with external condensation.

Good point, that makes sense! Thanks for the reminder.

... although an old credit card is about the right size, and does a decent job !

... although an old credit card is about the right size, and does a decent job !

That's a clever trick with the credit card! It sounds much easier than grabbing a small squeegee or a microfiber cloth every time.