BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - Phil F.

Hi,I have recently bought a 520d SE,the current tyres are 7 years old,5mm left,run flats.I have a mind to replace them but am getting conflicting opinions as to whether to ditch the run flats.Would it affect my insurance and what happens in the event of a puncture with normal tyres and I call the breakdown people out with no spare?Also is there a big difference in noise/handling going to normal tyres?…Thanks ????

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - PhilDS

Runflats do create a firmer ride but the cars are ultimately designed for them and it does make life easier if you get a puncture. Otherwise you'll have to buy an inflation kit and tubes of gunk which won't get you out of a blowout. BMW don't supply anything in the boot to change a wheel either.

I know it's a subjective topic, but personally I would stick with runflats and depending on wheel size they not horrendously expensive.

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - badbusdriver

Not sure about the insurance side, but I can't imagine ditching the runflats would be a problem as long as the correct size, weight and speed rating. To be sure, phone your insurer and ask.

Runflats do create a firmer ride but the cars are ultimately designed for them and it does make life easier if you get a puncture. Otherwise you'll have to buy an inflation kit and tubes of gunk which won't get you out of a blowout. BMW don't supply anything in the boot to change a wheel either.

Why would you need to buy an inflation kit and tubes of gunk?. Simply buy a spare wheel kit, plenty of places do them online. Just looked at the wheel shop, £185 for complete kit, space saver with tyre, jack and wheel brace. That is for the F10/11 5 Series (2010-2017), kit for younger model is the same price, but price for an older one is £30 less.

Find out how much dearer the runflats are than a standard tyre of the same size (x 4)

Personally, I'd get rid of them (assuming insurer happy enough). Cheaper to buy, quieter and better ride.

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - Andrew-T

<< Simply buy a spare wheel kit, plenty of places do them online. Just looked at the wheel shop, £185 for complete kit, space saver with tyre, jack and wheel brace. >>

Always assuming the car has been designed with space to keep a spare wheel ... I would prefer not to have one loose, or even tethered, in the boot.

<< Simply buy a spare wheel kit, plenty of places do them online. Just looked at the wheel shop, £185 for complete kit, space saver with tyre, jack and wheel brace. >>

Always assuming the car has been designed with space to keep a spare wheel ... I would prefer not to have one loose, or even tethered, in the boot.

I'm fairly sure that not all 5 Series in this country (never mind others) had run flats, so I think it would be fairly safe to assume there is a spare wheel well.

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - Andrew-T

<< I'm fairly sure that not all 5 Series in this country (never mind others) had run flats, so I think it would be fairly safe to assume there is a spare wheel well.>>

You are probably right, BBD. But I thought much of the rationale behind runflats was the removal of a space-wasting wheel well ?

<< I'm fairly sure that not all 5 Series in this country (never mind others) had run flats, so I think it would be fairly safe to assume there is a spare wheel well.>>

You are probably right, BBD. But I thought much of the rationale behind runflats was the removal of a space-wasting wheel well ?

I think it is more the weight of spare wheel, tyre, jack, brace, etc. Partly because of the rational that every little bit of weight saved is a good thing, but probably more because not providing them saves the company money!. I have no doubt that there are markets where run flat tyres are not really a thing and tins of gunk would be no use (Russia for example). There has to be a floor pressing with a spare wheel well for these markets and probably not much economic case for making another floor pressing without for markets using run flats

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - Sparrow

I have a 3 series that I bought with runflats on. I have always replaced with runflats as I believe they are safer. I am unlikely to have to stop and change a wheel when it is dark, raining, in heavy traffic etc. I have actually only had one puncture since I've owned the car, but could drive the 20 miles to my local tyre shop to get it replaced.

My friend replaced his runflats with normal tyres, and then headed off for the south of France with no spare and not even any gunk. I think he was mad, but then he thinks I am mad for keeping runflats. So make your choice

I have 17 inch wheels and find the ride perfectly ok, but also, it does not have sports suspension.

You might have to notify your insurance company if you put normal tyres on because you are modifying the car from its original specification.

Edited by Sparrow on 23/01/2024 at 13:40

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - Phil F.

Thanks everyone for your comments,the ride on the car seems to be ok so will probably replace with run flats.Is there any need to replace with Premium tyres such as Michelin.On my previous car I replaced all four with GT Radials which were very good...

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - craig-pd130

Thanks everyone for your comments,the ride on the car seems to be ok so will probably replace with run flats.Is there any need to replace with Premium tyres such as Michelin.On my previous car I replaced all four with GT Radials which were very good...

My local tyre place does Pirelli Cinturato runflats for my lad's 4-series which are pretty much the same price as 'budget' brands, so we go with the Pirellis.

BMW 5 Series - Run Flats - Sparrow

I have found Continental runflats suit my 3 series, but having said that, during the lockdowns I couldn't get them in the right size for the rears. Fitted Hankook instead. No issues with them.