Any - Tyre Issues - Lrac

Decided to have a drive around for a few days stopping overnight wherever I fancied. I noticed day one that one tyre was very slightly down on pressure. I topped up the tyre and popped into a tyre bay then another tyre bay and soon realised that the days of simply rolling up and waiting appear to be a thing of the past. Finally booked my car in for Sunday after arriving home Wednesday I could have got Saturday but this wouldn't be convenient.

My tyre hasn't obviously lost any pressure at this moment in time and my car has a space saver but it got me thinking what a major issue this could be for a whole range of people. I wonder what a young family stranded on holiday with a car full of luggage would do if told oh no problem we can fit you in tomorrow! I will never buy a car without some sort of spare wheel.

Edited by Lrac on 18/01/2024 at 19:55

Any - Tyre Issues - Adampr

Sorry, if you pumped it back up and it's not lost any pressure, why have you booked it in somewhere?

Any - Tyre Issues - Lrac

3 tyres were 2.3 one was 1.9 so seems pretty obvious that there is an issue. First noticed Saturday morning. Just because the tyre hasn't lost any air in the last few days I would like to know that there is not a screw stuck in the tread getting ready to let go at any time.or a bead that needs resealing

Any - Tyre Issues - Andrew-T

Just because the tyre hasn't lost any air in the last few days I would like to know that there is not a screw stuck in the tread getting ready to let go at any time.or a bead that needs resealing

Why not jack up the suspect wheel and spin it slowly, looking for screws ?

Any - Tyre Issues - catsdad

Re the walk-in issue. If they will do it you will almost certainly pay more than if you book ahead. This is likely to the case even using the fitter’s own website, not just Blackcircles or the like. Your choice of tyre may be limited too.

As for booking, a couple of years ago, I had the opposite experience when I booked ahead. My appointment time came and went while they dealt with two walk-ins. Sure enough they flogged them tyres at higher than prices. I ended up being delayed by over an hour plus the fitting time. Couldn’t have been my lack of attractiveness compared to the fetching lady walk-ins could it?
Anyway the next time I used Halfords on the drive. Good price and no hanging about while the fitting boys did their Alpha male stuff.

Any - Tyre Issues - Lrac

"Why not jack it up and spin it slowly looking for screws"?

Have serious health issues plus I would rather let an expert inspect my tyre more thoroughly than I could 200 miles away from home in freezing conditions having unpacked a boot full of cases etc to access a poor quality jack with no means of effecting a repair.

There clearly is a fault, diagnosing it is not the issue I was simply mourning the demise of a bygone era when you could simply roll up to any tyre bay and someone would be able to take care of the issue. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, They were all clearly rushed off their feet but treated me with courtesy.

Edited by Lrac on 20/01/2024 at 22:09

Any - Tyre Issues - RT

I've long since given up doing simple car jobs due to age/health - but fortunately I have a trusted indy workshop nearby with one of the four bays used for tyre work - no booking, just turn up maybe waiting while the car being worked on is finished - but I guess finding the equivalent awaty from home isn't guaranteed.

Any - Tyre Issues - sajid

I check my tyres pressure every fornight 3 of the tyres were down by 2 psi the lone tyre was down by 5 psi suspecting a sloe puncture turned out the alloy wheel where the inner tyre beds on was rusty and air was slowly leaking out. A quick filing and preparation of glue for the tyre was the medicine.

Tyres do lose air naturally but if 1 tyre loses air more suspect a slow puncture

Any - Tyre Issues - Bromptonaut

I check my tyres pressure every fornight 3 of the tyres were down by 2 psi the lone tyre was down by 5 psi suspecting a sloe puncture turned out the alloy wheel where the inner tyre beds on was rusty and air was slowly leaking out. A quick filing and preparation of glue for the tyre was the medicine.

Had that previously on my Berlingo. No puncture, valve OK, just a leak round the front n/s rim due to corrosion. Booked it in at the local fast fit tyre off, lack of puncture confirmed, rim cleaned up with wire brush any tyre put back. Cost about £15.

O/s front now same symptoms but by now the tyres are worn enough to justify replacement. Will make sure I point the issue out but I'd expect it to be dealt with anyway.

The point about drop ins paying more is well made. When we got the current Berlingo we didn't realise it wore the rears faster than fronts and with a bias towards the outer edge. Rack rate for two fairly standard tyres was about £40 more than if I'd booked.

Any - Tyre Issues - paul 1963

The point about drop ins paying more is well made. When we got the current Berlingo we didn't realise it wore the rears faster than fronts and with a bias towards the outer edge. Rack rate for two fairly standard tyres was about £40 more than if I'd booked.

Surprised about the rears wearing faster if I'm honest, I find diesel Berlingos wear the fronts much quicker, due all the weight over them, Electric Berlingos tend to wear there tyres out fairly evenly, handle better as well due to the more even weight distribution.

Any - Tyre Issues - badbusdriver

Surprised about the rears wearing faster if I'm honest, I find diesel Berlingos wear the fronts much quicker, due all the weight over them, Electric Berlingos tend to wear there tyres out fairly evenly, handle better as well due to the more even weight distribution.

Very unusual for any front wheel drive car to wear the rears faster than the fronts?. As well as having to deal with both drive and steering, most front tyres have to carry a greater percentage of the overall weight (unless fully laden!)

Any - Tyre Issues - skidpan

As well as having to deal with both drive and steering,

and a majority of the breaking.

Personally never had a FWD car that needed rears before fronts. And that is since 1984.

Any - Tyre Issues - mcb100
It seems to be a bit of a Berlingo feature, tyre wear on the rear being faster than the front.
If they’re getting through the outer shoulder, it suggests it’s set up to toe in across the back axle.
Maybe a work around to limit lift off oversteer?
Any - Tyre Issues - Bromptonaut

It seems to be a bit of a Berlingo feature, tyre wear on the rear being faster than the front.

That's what I was told on the occasion alluded to above. As was the tendency to wear outer edges first. The latter has also been said to be a Milton Keynes thing due to the number of roundabouts!!

It's done that consistently as long as we've had it (2013 HDi 1.6/115PS). Previous one, 2005, wore the fronts as you'd expect but actually had some rear wear which was more than could be said for our BX - 1993-2005.

Any - Tyre Issues - Engineer Andy

That's what I was told on the occasion alluded to above. As was the tendency to wear outer edges first. The latter has also been said to be a Milton Keynes thing due to the number of roundabouts!!

It's done that consistently as long as we've had it (2013 HDi 1.6/115PS). Previous one, 2005, wore the fronts as you'd expect but actually had some rear wear which was more than could be said for our BX - 1993-2005.

Would that you tow have more of a negative effect on the rears than if it just were used as an 'ordinary car'?

Any - Tyre Issues - Manatee

Some cars with ESP/DCS, which I think is now practically all of them, seem to do a lot of rear wheel braking depending on how they are driven. My Outlander is wearing rear pads faster than the fronts, although tyres wear more evenly.

Both ends are implicated in steering/cornering. Castors on the back wouldn't work:)

Any - Tyre Issues - paul 1963
It seems to be a bit of a Berlingo feature, tyre wear on the rear being faster than the front. If they’re getting through the outer shoulder, it suggests it’s set up to toe in across the back axle. Maybe a work around to limit lift off oversteer?

I agree to a certain extent, it was my turn to do the weekly checks on our fleet today ( 3 diesels and 2 electric vans) the diesels all showed more wear overall on the fronts although the rears did have more wear as well as a little graining on the outer edges, never experienced lift off oversteer on them tbh, I find if driven "enthusiastically" they will understeer a little, lifting off mid corner they will tend to straighten up a bit ( makes me sound like a hooligan but I'm not really..honestly!)

Any - Tyre Issues - daveyjp
My tyre issue. Another flat, nice nail in it. Repair tomorrow. Pressure sensor is of course useless as it didn’t tell me because it needs a while to recalibrate to let me know. I noticed the steering wasn’t right!
Any - Tyre Issues - FoxyJukebox
Most “fast fitters” are at their busiest at 11.00am on a Saturday or Sunday morning .
I try to go tue-thurs mid morning during term time . They’ll be happy to see you.