Can I roll down without a traditional hand brake? - Warning

I parked somewhere and a large van parked 5 inch next to the driver side door. I could not open the door, when I got back to my car.

The obvious solution was to get into my car, via the the passenger side door and then climb over the centre console. I had my heavy coat on and it all seemed too much for me and I did n't want to accidently put shoe marks all over the dashboard.

I had this neat idea of releasing the handbrake and let the car roll down in reverse.

It worked and I congratulated myself for being a genius :-)

However, I some cars do not have a traditional handbrake, what would have happened if I had done that in those type of cars?

Can I roll down without a traditional hand brake? - Terry W

Don't know about a manual - but an auto Peugeot 308 will definitely roll with the engine started and electronic parking brake disengaged - or it would never go through a carwash!

Can I roll down without a traditional hand brake? - Terry W

An auto Peugeot 308 will definitely roll with the engine started and electronic parking brake disengaged - or it would never go through a carwash!

Thinking about it I assume so would most manuals - when towed the engine will not be running but likely to be towed on the two back wheels, if not all four. May need ignition on to disengage handbrake.

Can I roll down without a traditional hand brake? - mcb100
Should release just with the ignition on, but may need the brake pedal pressed or the driver’s seat belt fastened.