Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - NickosWirral

So started a new thread as I think I've decided on a petrol Mazda 6. I like the reasons SLO76 reccomeded this. Only question is, how does the drive and performance of a naturally aspirated petrol compare to say s turbo charged petrols, or turbo diesels as they are all I've driven for near on twenty years? Also much to recommend between the 143 and 163 bhp versions? The latter seems hard to come by

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - badbusdriver

At the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, don't you think you should take one for a nice long test drive before "deciding on a petrol Mazda 6"?!. Given your previous cars and depending on how you drive, you may not like it at all.

On a turbo petrol or diesel, the torque comes in nice and low in the rev range, often below 2000rpm. Cant remember if you said the age or exact model of your Mondeo, but if it was a 3rd gen with the 140bhp 2.0 turbo diesel, it would have produced 320nm of torque from 1750-2750rpm. The Mazda produces 210 @ 4000rpm. So a lot less torque at much higher revs.

What that means ultimately is you have to work the engine harder to achieve the same results. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you are used to changing up early and riding the torque curve of a turbo petrol or diesel, you may not like it.

Re the difference between the two Mazda 6 engines, the fact that both produce the same torque at the same rpm tells me that the difference in bhp is only going to be felt when pushing on. But doubtful the difference would be that big or noticeable in normal day to day driving.

Superb insight. Thank you.

Hopefully going for a drive today. Appreciate your thoughts

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - JonestHon

Like bbd say, it depends on your driving style. So yes, test before parting with your cash.

To share our experience moving from high torque to lower torque. When we had to change our estate few years back, we sold a Passat 5.5 with 130 bhp and a I think this engine produced around 220 lb-ft or thereabout and you didn't need to play too much with the manual gear.

We took this car from 90k to 300k miles with strict maintenance regime but had many niggles outside of the bullet proof engine/gearbox/clutch components. Malfunctioning central lock, radiator that decided to die, alarm system with a life of it's own, seat belts that broke (twice!!), rusting arches (this was a design fault), wet carpets (again a design fault) quality suspension parts that never seemed to live more than a year and dealer that never seemed too bothered, and the list goes on and on.

When we had enough of the VW we bought a Kia diesel 1.6 and that was a bit more modest on torque at around 188 lb-ft, it was ok but the seats were diabolical for long runs, so had to go.

The Cee'd was the last ever diesel, we then sold it and got a Toyota Avensis estate petrol with a max torque around 145 ft-lb at somewhere of 2700 rpm.

The change was marked, but and a big but, this car has an excellent and very precise gearbox and we learnt when to change up to keep up and take over exactly as we did at lower revs with the diesels of old. The advantage is that so far took it from 35k miles to 150k miles and it didn't owe us anywhere near what the Passat did. Apart from consumables and a new clutch at 130k she is comfortable, and reliable which is our first priorities. As the Mazda 6 is probably one of the last NA Jap model out there you are aiming well but it will not feel like a TD car.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - Sprice

I'd personally go for a 8th gen Honda Accord over a Mazda 6, just more of a fan of Honda and the 2.4 version should meet your needs. Do Mazda still rust quite badly?

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - catsdad

Earlier this year my son changed from a BMW 5 series 2.0 diesel company car, which was costing him a fortune in tax, to owning a three year old petrol Mazda 6. The Mazda had fsh and was only £15k from a main dealer. He initially missed the BMW torque but has got used to the Mazda and it has been faultless and is saving him a lot of tax cash. Overall he finds the Mazda a very good car and for his high miles (about 20k pa) it’s a comfortable motorway cruiser even though it’s the lower powered version. The Mazda isn’t badly shown up by the (supposedly) superior BMW and he isn’t into badges so it suits him fine.

Since he has got his I have become a fan of its styling. Its conservative but has pleasing lines.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - groaver

I'd personally go for a 8th gen Honda Accord over a Mazda 6, just more of a fan of Honda and the 2.4 version should meet your needs. Do Mazda still rust quite badly?

In my experience of four different models; 2, 6, MX-5 and CX-5, yes.

The 2 rusted on the roof and the 6 in the boot welds.

They are however, very reliable in terms of mechainicals and electrics.

The advice given here by others is correct, you will need to push the engine further up the rev range to extract the performance.

We really liked the 6 apart from the rust.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - FP

"Do Mazda still rust quite badly?"

"In my experience of four different models; 2, 6, MX-5 and CX-5, yes."

Almost ten-year-old CX-5 here. No sign of rust anywhere.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - Engineer Andy

"Do Mazda still rust quite badly?"

"In my experience of four different models; 2, 6, MX-5 and CX-5, yes."

Almost ten-year-old CX-5 here. No sign of rust anywhere.

Early (<2010 ish) cars seem to be far more affected by rust, plus a few early gen-3 Mazda3s in the US.

My (now) 18 year old Mazda3 has rust / bubbling on the front wheel arches, a little on the rear ones, but according to my dealership, it's faring well underneath - not that much proper (structural) corrosion, mostly surface rust.

Plus, annoyingly, the rust in the threads of the screwed-in exhaust sensor that has failed. A £200 - £300 fix has now become a £1750 fix as the manifold has to be replaced, as that's what the sensor is screwed into.

A lesser-known consequence of rust. If I'd known of this issue, I'd have the two sensors removed, threads cleaned and new anti-seize re-applied years ago and periodically since. Oh well, you live and learn.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - SLO76
As already said, you really need to drive one to see if you like it. They lack low speed torque compared to turbocharged engines, you’ll need to drop a gear or two on steep hills or to overtake, but that’s no chore with the Mazda having one of the nicest manual gearboxes on the road. The power is higher up the rev range so you’ll need to hold the gears longer in those rare occasions when you need power on todays roads.

The upsides (especially when buying used) are that there’s less to go wrong. There’s no turbo to fail, no timing belt, no DPF and no complicated automated manual gearbox. Change the oil once a year or every 10k and it run and run.

Exhausts can be a wee bit pricy for them however, it’s a twin pipe system, and some dealer only parts are dear, but regular service items are no dearer than anything else. The only issues I’ve ever had with Mazda’s relate to sticky brake callipers, but that was many years ago so it’s possibly not an issue on newer models like this.

It’s one of the best used cars you can buy in my opinion, they’re good to drive and mechanically very robust. Having to change down a gear to pass slow moving traffic isn’t much of a downside in my opinion. I’d favour the lower powered SE model over the sport, it rides better, the tyres are cheaper and there’s not much difference in power on the road, plus there’s more of them to choose from.

Plenty of affirmation for me here! I know I touched on it on my previous thread, but if I found a lower mileage and newer version and was willing to part with more cash,.would your advice still stand? I.e. would a 2018 version stand comparison as well to the competition of a similar age?

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - kiss (keep it simple)

I had a first generation Mazda6 and it was indeed a bit prone to rust, especially wheel arches. Now on a mk2 and fingers crossed, no rust issues so far and no advisories at recent MOT. 12 years old and 130k miles. No ball of fire (2 litre) but it goes well enough if you crank up the revs.

Plenty of affirmation for me here! I know I touched on it on my previous thread, but if I found a lower mileage and newer version and was willing to part with more cash,.would your advice still stand? I.e. would a 2018 version stand comparison as well to the competition of a similar age?

Depends on by what criteria you are using. If it is reliability, then yes, probably still the best option.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - Metropolis.
I find with a smaller engine such as 2.5 and below, a well tuned automatic gearbox can mask a lot of the shortcomings as it will be designed with the engine’s power band in mind, or should be. I would try a Mazda 6 auto. Having to work a manual gearbox to compensate for lack of torque can be fun on a weekend, but can be a bit tiresome in day to day driving imo.
I find with a smaller engine such as 2.5 and below, a well tuned automatic gearbox can mask a lot of the shortcomings as it will be designed with the engine’s power band in mind, or should be. I would try a Mazda 6 auto. Having to work a manual gearbox to compensate for lack of torque can be fun on a weekend, but can be a bit tiresome in day to day driving imo.

Good advice, and the lightweight torque converter transmission used by Mazda is very good indeed. The economy isn’t far off what the manual achieves also. A local chap runs one as a taxi and speaks very highly of it.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - JonestHon

Good advice, and the lightweight torque converter transmission used by Mazda is very good indeed. The economy isn’t far off what the manual achieves also. A local chap runs one as a taxi and speaks very highly of it.

Good advice, but looking nationally on AT there are only 25 autos from 2018 onward and only 7 of those are estates. I'd say these are fairly rare cars with strong prices.

Yeah very hard to find. That said, I have driven and inspected three local Mazda. 6s as of today, and bought the 2014 one as mentioned on a previous thread. I loved the drive. Felt tight, precise, plenty of power where I needed it, and sure, can't be as lazy on the gears as you can in a TD. Very happy with the car. nice solid simple dash and quite gadget free :)

The newer ones were fine and all, but a lot of extra money for very little improvement, and in some cases, barely fewer miles.

Thanks for all your input. Looking forward to getting hold of it.

The newer ones were fine and all, but a lot of extra money for very little improvement, and in some cases, barely fewer miles.

Thanks for all your input. Looking forward to getting hold of it.

That is basically what I was saying earlier. The 2014 car is still the same model (as opposed to an older generation) and as has been mentioned, they are very reliable. So unless you are bothered about the apparent age of the car (in which case, a private reg would disguise it), no real reason to pay more for a younger version of the same car.

Hope it serves you well.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - gordonbennet

I've also had Diesels and turbo (or 6 cyl NA) petrols for years, my only recent experience of NA petrol was borrowing one of my daughter's Civics for about 6 weeks earlier in the year, a 1.8 version.

Whilst a worthy car i disliked the need for high revs to get the car to shift in an acceptable manners...she loves driving like that...and i would struggle to live with one, also having had proper automatics for more years than i can remember i was glad of the experience because it ruled out any manual future replacements.

You need more than the typical up the road and back test drive to know if something is right for you.

Definitely agree. I think the poor guy thought I'd stolen the car as I was a good 30 minutes. Motorways a road and town traffic!

Essentially take about 10% off the mpg and add the same to the 0-60 time. Obviously not as good as dual clutch gearboxes in that regard, but far less prone to reliability woes as long as the transmission fluid gets changed as per the manufacturer's schedule.

I found the one I tried (in a CX-3 in 2017) very smooth and quiet. The manual boxes (including [still] in my 18yo Mazda3 included) are always nice to use.

Just wanted to report back as I have recently picked up my 2014 Mazda 6. Very very happy so far. It's nice to feel like I'm _driving_ a car as opposed to the rather go-kart feel I have been getting from the little turbo charged petrols we've had the previous years.

The gearbox and engine combination seems spot on, and makes for, what I think, quite an enjoyable drive. Bags of space in the back for the family, and I think it looks great to boot! May buy a cheapo number plate for it so I can forget it's age, as all going well, I'd like this until the government force me at gunpoint at whatever them deem I should be driving by then!

Thanks Adampr and SLO76 for the original recommendation for the Mazda 6, and everyone else for the very helpful input.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - Halmerend
I remember the first generation of these being recalled for extra anti rust protection around the wheel arches. Did that fail to solve the problem?

I don't know, but I'm not seeing any example of that on my vehicle. I inspected a lot of the underside at the garage as I was aware of these potential pitfalls. Had it on my ramps yesterday too and looks decent enough.

Glad you’re happy. You can see why I rate them so highly. You get genuine Japanese reliability and the best European levels of driver enjoyment - much of that was thanks to Fords previous involvement. I hope it proves to be an enjoyable and reliable longterm companion.

Try as I might, I couldn't move him on the price. Best I could get was added warranty and a new set of Michelin primacy 4 tyres. Obviously more than it would have cost a few years back, but is what it is. Great car.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - Adampr

Glad you like it and happy to be of service - first time for everything!

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - gordonbennet

Try as I might, I couldn't move him on the price. Best I could get was added warranty and a new set of Michelin primacy 4 tyres. Obviously more than it would have cost a few years back, but is what it is. Great car.

A set of Michelins wasn't a bad discount. Glad you found something you're happy with, and thankyou for updating the thread.

I’d say you did well, that’s a pretty decent discount on a used car to be honest. I’d’ve been happy at that, and on a car that handles as well as the 6, a nice new set of good quality tyres is a huge plus.

I’d say you did well, that’s a pretty decent discount on a used car to be honest. I’d’ve been happy at that, and on a car that handles as well as the 6, a nice new set of good quality tyres is a huge plus.

If they weren't so large a car (parking /use of narrow country lanes), I might've gone for a 6 instead of a 3 over the years. Always the best looking Mazda in my view.

It's the first car I've owned for 24 years that I look back at when I park up. You're not wrong!

I might even put effort into washing and waxing this one :)

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - nailit

It's the first car I've owned for 24 years that I look back at when I park up. You're not wrong!

I might even put effort into washing and waxing this one :)

Yup, I often look back at my 6 after parking, after over 8 years of ownership. Sportnav saloon.

Apologies, only just seen this thread.

No breakages, owned from new, original exhaust, battery, replaced wipers, tyres, front discs and pads recently by myself, previously rear discs and pads couple of years back. I do very low mileage now, but around a part of the UK notorious for narrow roads, no problems, yes a large car but all great.

Typed on mobile so forgive typing.

Oh, no rust, my understanding is it's not a problem on this gen 3 of mazda 6,s.

It certainly looks and feels well built, under the bonnet too.

Mazda 6 Skyactiv Petrol - De Sisti

It's the first car I've owned for 24 years that I look back at when I park up.

I feel the same way about my 22 year-old BMW 320d SE Touring. Still looking very nice (imo). All rust (well, more like paint bubbling on the wheel arches) taken care of. At 130k miles, it will do me for another couple of years. Family-owned car (it was my sister's car) with full service history and all receipts since my ownership (Aug 2012). :-)