Hyundai i20 2010 - Noise from top of engine - Dominic de Vere

Hi,

First time post.

I have a 2010 I20 Classic that's been fantastic for the past 8/9 months. Last night I noticed a strange noise coming from the engine area - it's quite high-pitched and sounds more electrical than mechanical, it's fairly intermittent as well as when I push gently down on the accelerator it either stops or starts and then seems to change pitch and then sometimes just disappear altogether.

The mobile mechanic who popped over today said they'd not heard the noise before, but thought it was coming from the spark plug leads and that changing them would probably help/solve issue. They said they thought the car would be fine to drive in the interim as the noise wasn't coming from the engine itself, but I wanted to ask here to see if anyone else has encountered this or could offer any advice, I don't want to risk any further damage as his diagnosis seemed as much guess as anything else.

I made some short clips here and here to demonstrate the issue (apologies for the wind noise - stormy weather today!)

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Edited by Dominic de Vere on 21/12/2023 at 15:11

Hyundai i20 2010 - Noise from top of engine - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like a worn timing chain . I’d get it checked sooner rather than later.
Hyundai i20 2010 - Noise from top of engine - Oli rag

If you haven’t already done it, I’d remove the auxiliary belt to make sure the noise isn’t from the alternator, and if it has one, the air con compressor.