Insurance - barney100

Minor shock on the insurance premium for me. From under £300 to £550. However I did a search putting my wife as the main driver with no no-claims discount and saved £90 for almost the same policy. Took an hour or two messing about but it's worth a try. Bloke I know reckons used prices are dropping, is this happening?

Insurance - RickyBoy

Given that my next renewal would become due in early Jan I started 'shopping around' online a fortnight ago as I hadn't received my new price from my existing insurer at that point.

I paid £240 last time.

Using 7/8 of the usual suspects (and the Compare/Confused mob) new prices ranged from £275 to £550 with a couple declining to quote me! £275 was with complete unknowns (to me) whom I'd be loathe to trust and £550 the **.

Based on these figures, and fearing the worst, I called my existing company to request the renewal figure. £340 was suggested in the first instance and £325 was finally offered after a chat.

Quite happy with that given some of the amounts bandied about here and elsewhere...

Insurance - RickyBoy

...oh, and its as bit frustrating that some quotations are fixed for 60-days ahead but the majority for only 30!

Hey-ho..

Insurance - mcb100
It’s become so difficult (expensive) to insure Range Rovers that Land Rover have entered the insurance marketplace simply so that their customers can get insurance.
Insurance - rory

Sorry, but is it not the case that JLR have just left the insurance marketplace ?

Insurance - mcb100
media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2023/12/new-bespoke...s
Insurance - Engineer Andy

Minor shock on the insurance premium for me. From under £300 to £550. However I did a search putting my wife as the main driver with no no-claims discount and saved £90 for almost the same policy. Took an hour or two messing about but it's worth a try. Bloke I know reckons used prices are dropping, is this happening?

It's a good idea to put one low risk person as an 'additional driver' (useful for emergencies if you're unable to drive your car home). I used to do this for my policy - with my dad added - until he turned 75 and it actually made the premiums go up, not down. I now add my sister instead, and back to the previous effect.

The same thing happened when my mum & dad's policy started to go up at that time - now they add my sister on (she's now closest to get there) for emergencies, but which has the effect of reducing the premium about 5-10% as well.

Nothing illegal or unethical about it either. Worth a try if you have kids and they're old enough (i.e. mid 30s - 60s) and a clean fault claims history and driving licence for min. 5 years.

A few years ago I also had absolutely no excess at all on my (old) PNCD policy with esure, and saved about 10-15% (£25 - £35) on the premium just by upping the voluntary excess to a reasonable £100.

Insurance - Tester

Well, that's fine so long as she really is the main driver!

Indeed, though would Plod ask or be in a position to find out whether they were or not in the event of an accident? Maybe if it were a (young/new driver) son or daughter they might look into it, given 'fronting' has got more prevalent as premiums for the young went through the roof.

Insurance - Andrew-T

Indeed, though would Plod ask or be in a position to find out whether they were or not in the event of an accident? Maybe if it were a (young/new driver) son or daughter they might look into it, given 'fronting' has got more prevalent as premiums for the young went through the roof.

You might have to worry less about Plod than your insurers ?

You might have to worry less about Plod than your insurers ?

It would depend on the seriousness of the accident and whose fault it was. A former colleague of mine let his son drive his car uninsured, he (the son) had a serious fault accident, and both ended up in serious trouble with the law - if I recall, both got banned (not sure how long for though), though I think that the dad only did because he already had a good few points on his licence. TBH, he was lucky not to be blacklisted by the insurance industry, just his policy cancelled and no payout.

Insurance - skidpan

Think I commented on a previous post about my insurance renewal in November. 2 car policy (Superb and Fabia), paid £567 in November 2023, renewal quote in November this year was £684, approx. 20% increase. Phoned them and got it down to £650, still approx. 15% increase but better.

Surprised this morning when I got a cheque for a refund of £115, they say they made an error with my NCD. Less than I paid last year now.

Insurance - barney100
As it happens she is!
Insurance - barney100
She is!
Insurance - skidpan
She is!

WTF

I've seen several reports (written and video) showing how used car prices are now on the way back down again, with a particularly large fall in October. Problem is that it may have some of a positive effect on insurance premiums, but the price of spare parts and labour doesn't look like coming down any time soon to match.

As I said in another thread, I suspect that premiums generally are being cross-subsidised to some degree, i.e. EV premiums by putting up ICE ones, because until the actual cost* of lithium fires in EVs are known, insurers have hedged their bets and raised prices considerably, but they still need to be 'competitive' enough not to drive most customers away, thus...

They've done this before with home insurance and areas affected by flooding, sometimes increasing premiums across ALL insurance to 'spread the pain'.

* Not just parts, but knock-on costs such as them starting fires in other [adjacent] vehicles, damage to buildings and ships due to their proximity in partially / fully enclosed spaces, likely greater health issues associated with being in the immediate vicinity of such fires, etc, etc.

What's sad and often infuriating is that many of the dangers of lithium fires have been known for many years now, but seemingly little additional research into the knock-on effects cost-wise was done prior to the (artificially rapid) rollout of EVs.

Insurance - Andrew-T

Minor shock on the insurance premium for me. From under £300 to £550.

SWMBO's policy - which includes me as named driver, with breakdown cover for 2 cars - came for renewal with a large hike which LV= explained was due to the usual range of reasons. C0nfused.c0m couldn't do any better, and d1rect L1ne was about £150 higher. So she talked LV= down by £25-30 over the phone. It's still a lot, but I suspect that besides the 'usual reasons' the cost of repairs to an increasing population of EVs may be starting to contribute ?

Insurance - gordonbennet

ignore

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/01/2024 at 13:35

Insurance - Steveieb

The Telegraph reported today that thefts of high value cars such as Range Rovers and the need to write off EVs after even a small shunt because of their vulnerability of a short circuit leading to a fire is altering the conventional insurance model which is based on the drivers profile.

JLR have found the need to offer their own insurance after owners in London have found the cost prohibitive.

But essentially the rest of the motoring population is having to bear some of the cost of these specific types of vehicles .

Insurance - gordonbennet

Quote is in from DL for the 27 year old Merc, £10 cheaper than last year @ £172, comp, protected, £350ish total excess.

2 more quotes will arrive in due course, but happy so far.

Insurance - Ethan Edwards

.. and the need to write off EVs after even a small shunt because of their vulnerability of a short circuit leading to a fire ...

Except that your statement is untrue. The reason being repair facilities have so few trained technicians they simply err on the side of caution and quote to replace everything in sight. Which means companies write them off. Recent case in point, that 60,000 dollar battery replace story. The battery itself was untouched. An underbattery GUARD was scuffed. So it was deemed to need another battery. Utterly ridiculous. Let's hope the repair industry gets its house in order and pronto.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 11/01/2024 at 11:52

Insurance - Chips with everything

I heard recently of someone who traded in their nearly new Range Rover with WBAC because their quoted insurance was 27k. No idea of their claim history but that does seem a tad high!

Edited by Chips with everything on 11/01/2024 at 13:43

Insurance - RT

Even the JLR in-house insurance scheme is refusing to cover some LR models www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/361974/land-rover...r

Insurance - bathtub tom

I'd like to know if insurance is paying for new engines for all these muppets I see driving into deep water (youtube and suchlike). If so, you can guess whose premiums are covering it!

Insurance - madf

Link shows man complaining about premium of £1780 for a Velar. Considering it is an £80k car, that sounds cheap.

And his locked garage etc means nothing if he crashes it.

Insurance - Andrew-T

Link shows man complaining about premium of £1780 for a Velar. Considering it is an £80k car, that sounds cheap.

But insurance is about covering damage inflicted on third parties too, which is why it is still not cheap for almost worthless cars. I suppose the bigger the vehicle, the greater the damage it can cause ....