Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - TJH508
My 2019 Peugeot 508 Blue HDI 1.5 has been horrendously unreliable this year despite only just reaching 48,000 miles. It has had two rear suspension arms replaced and brake pads plus discs replaced at 40,000 miles. Then in September 2023 when exiting a roundabout, the car totally cut out with what was diagnosed by the RAC as a ECU failure but later investigation when the garage eventually accepted it some weeks later was a snapped timing chain and a whole new engine.

Luckily I had a Peugeot extended warranty which agreed a replacement engine but on removing said engine the garage said it need a new clutch too! It never felt on its way out. The biggest shock is the bill which is being quoted at £1200! An incredible amount of money and I know of no car outside a Porsche 911 that will cost so much. To further irritation, they are replacing the battery at £175 and the robbing swines at Peugeot breakdown assist charged me £96 for a 2nd tow as the dealer was shut at the time!

Peugeot have declined any goodwill and have said it is a pure wear and tear item. They also reckon their extended warranty is through a third party company, so my complaint lies with them, not Peugeot!

Aside from not buying another Peugeot, what other options do I have to address this awful service and situation? Been off the road for 2 months now and driving around in a dire Citroen c3 “courtesy car” out of pocket. I bought the car with cash from new but now must ponder if a lease may be better in future to give them greater responsibility.
Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - Andrew-T
The biggest shock is the bill which is being quoted at £1200! An incredible amount of money and I know of no car outside a Porsche 911 that will cost so much. .

If that is the total cost, it sounds like a bargain to me - new engine and clutch, plus labour ! Thirty years ago my daughter had a 'new' (i.e.refurb) engine in her 205 after cambelt failure, cost £550, considered a fair price back then.

If you meant to say £12,000 I would have agreed with you ....

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - pd

At main dealer labour and parts rates it is probably about right.

I'd hazard a guess the labour is 7 hours or thereabout so £700-£800 labour plus £400 for the part could easily hit £1200.

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - RichardW

I imagine the £1200 is parts only given the engine is already out, and the box split off - probably covers clutch and flywheel. I would tell them just to put it back together with the original clutch. I'd also decline the battery you can get new one at half that price, presumably it has gone flat whilst the repair has been awaited, so tell them to charge it!!

They claimed they couldn’t run the diagnostic to check the fault without changing the battery! No choice really as I need the dealer for the extended warranty claim.
Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - Chris M

£1,200 sounds a lot for replacing the clutch if the engine is already out of the car. In fact a new engine wouldn't come with the flywheel/clutch so it would have saved the garage swapping them over.

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - galileo

£1,200 sounds a lot for replacing the clutch if the engine is already out of the car. In fact a new engine wouldn't come with the flywheel/clutch so it would have saved the garage swapping them over.

Robbing b ------s, Hyundai dealer price for an i30 clutch a couple of years ago was under £500.

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - daveyK_UK
Hi,
Can we establish a few points?

* the engine is fully covered under the Peugeot warranty - is this the Peugeot used warranty or the Peugeot manufacturer extended warranty?
They are different and knowing which one will help assess your situation. I know its not the original warranty as Peugeot only offer 3 years and a 19 plate is 4 years old.
Its worth adding the 1.5 diesel engine of this year of build has common chain issues; there are many examples of cars and vans fitted with this engine requiring a full engine replacement.

Brake pads and discs at 40k - thats good for original pads, not too bad for discs. If you had the pads changed earlier you may have been able to save the original discs.

Clutch - again if you let me know which exact warranty you have , it may explain why your total is £1250.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 02/11/2023 at 06:46

It is the full Peugeot manufacturer extended warranty.
Car has been owned by me since new, not bought used.

No, that is solely for the clutch. The engine is covered under my extended warranty. As it should be. It is paid for separately by me.
Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - De Sisti
No, that is solely for the clutch. The engine is covered under my extended warranty. As it should be. It is paid for separately by me.

£1200 is roughly what I paid for a clutch replacement / labour / vat on my (E46) BMW 320d SE, so I would imagine what you have been quoted is not too unreasonable.

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - John F

Sounds a very odd/very unlucky story to me. What on earth would cause a timing chain to 'snap' at such a low mileage? And, with normal driving, shouldn't a modern clutch plate last 100,000 miles?

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - Maxime.

Perhaps the clue is in the 40000 miles in 5 years. Low mileage for a diesel? Stop start wear and tear. And did the dealer service it absolutely correctly.

I forgot to add, you should report the RAC incident to their complaints line for a poorly performed diagnosis

Best case scenario they educate the on call staff member and improve their diagnosis, worst case they will give you a discount on next years breakdown renewal

Edited by daveyK_UK on 02/11/2023 at 06:46

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - Dave N
I believe the 1.5 diesel has a belt, although there is a little chain that connects the camshafts.
Absolutely.
Thanks for clarifying you have the Peugeot extended warranty

However the £1,250 figure seems very convenient

Why?

On the Peugeot used warranty which you get with cars as little as 1 day old (pre reg) which in effect gives you with the new warranty close to 4 years coverage, the maximum claim is £1,250.

I know someone who needed a new 1.2 engine and they where quoted £1,250 and told to match the Peugeot warranty contribution to enable the works.

I have also read various forum posts on the Peugeot and Citroen (and no doubt Vauxhall, Jeep and Fiat) where Peugeot (stellantis) have come uo with a £1,250 bill for additional non covered warranty works.

I think you should challenge the price, this figure seems to be the go to when a Peugeot has a significant mechanical issue.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 02/11/2023 at 11:29

Peugeot 508 - Peugeot 508 2019 engine and clutch failure - RichardW

I checked the price this morning, clutch kit, flywheel and bolts is about £1550 (parts ONLY!!!) so not sure where they got the £1200 from.